I have all these DIY projects brewing up in my head, so much so I’ve taken to jotting them down in my Muji notebook.  Furthermore, going to places like The Shop on Cheshire Street near Brick Lane just inspires me even more.  The non-descript name is apt for what can only be described as an Aladdin’s cave of vintage fabrics and trimmings with a mix of vintage clothes added in the mix at super cheap prices – anything goes here!  Drawers stuffed with old lace, bedlinen, placemats, buttons, gloves, and other kinds of ribbondry.  Shelves piled high with soft furnishing fabrics, vintage prints, soft knitted jumpers and handbags.  The sheer quantity of stuff they have means you have boxes lying on the floor and everything spilling over things.  In other words, a perfect rummaging ground for me!  I bought a ton of pom pom trim, lots and lots of lace and a sweet knitted skirt that I might turn into something Tao by Comme des Garcons-esque.  When you end up spending a pretty penny on materials for a DIY project, you start to wonder why you bother at all, but here, the prices are so low, it’s all the more encouraging when you’re a clothes-customising amateur such as myself.

One for the list of must-sees for all people coming to London or living in London.

1. Jenifer says:

wow. looks and sounds like a dreambox to me. im just curious where in manitoba, canada i can actually get my hands on this kind of stuff?! im suffocating over here!!!

2. tindi-rindi says:

It is a dreamland! :) Sometimes I go to seconhand shops to get chep materials for DIT, but it`s not the same. I`d feel likegoing fora cup of tea to my grandmother and sneaking in her closet to get some vintage lace and unseen materials… unfortunately, I`m not in London :)P I`d spend all my money there… :P

3. GoOjEe says:

oHhH MyYyY LoOoOrD!…i will be in london this August!…so plz can you help me find the best vintage stores(clothing and fabrics) in london…that are sort of close to W1 ;) and could be reached by the under ground ;p…and that shop..THE SHOP!…how far is it? and how to get to it! thanx a lot for your help!…will sure need your knowlage on the VINTAGE CAVES OF LONDON ;**

4. cruststation says:

Wow, this is a shopping heaven! I would love to rummage through everything and those vintage fabrics look delicious!

5. Anonymous says:

I bought by birthday dress last summer here for 10 pounds… stunning!

6. Anonymous says:

is beyond retro also on this street?

7. I bought by birthday dress last summer here for 10 pounds… stunning!