I can’t be sure whether this girl was bored, pissed off, tired or all of the above but when I snapped her sitting at the Aslanturk show, it reminded me of all those particular ‘front row looks’ that I saw at fashion week in both London and Paris.  It was a look of sheer boredom that people made no bones about revealing.  As models sashayed down the catwalk, they merely gave the clothes a quick onceover and you could see the disdain radiating off their eyes and the way their lips were pursed tightly that seemed to say ‘I have better things to do than to watch this tripe go down the runway.’  Even as the show ended, where you’re supposed to give applause, some front-rowers immediately left without so much as a polite clap or smile.  I realise that the cycle of shows can be a little on the intense side and yes, a little taxing, and perhaps a regular fashion week show-goer can enlighten us and say something in defense but I can’t help but wonder where has the enthusiasm gone?  Or is it that the shrewd and bored demeanour is a false front and actually they are meticulously looking at everything with great intent.

Even at a supposedly mediocre show, I manage to find something to be transfixed by. Much like I can spend hours studying things in boutiques, watching clothes on the catwalk is a literal joy for me. Perhaps I’m still very ‘green’ and ‘new’ to the whole show-going thing since I seem to have this overly enthusiastic child-like marvel at everything. It’s not that I’m not critical but it’s that whilst I’m present, I get mesmerised temporarily.

Admittedly, I can’t possibly gush and love every collection but I do hope that even if I become a seasoned show-goer, that my enthusiasm for SEEING clothes in person will never wane and that I never wear that purse lips, glazed eye expression.

(On a side note, I do love the way the girl has tied up her hair – perhaps her look of boredom was part of the whole ‘rebellious bored housewife’ theme)

1. j says:

I’ve also seen this look in chemistry class.

2. DJM says:

Looks like boredom to me, as even the girl behind her is looking out the window. I suspect these small ‘intimate’ shows by relatively unknown designers can be quite dull affairs most of the time, and it’s mostly (not always, but mostly) only the large-scale designers that are able to put on glitzy events, which have an air of anticipation about them. I can understand why seasoned editors only bother with the big ones, because even this venue looks boring! I suppose if going to shows is your job, you wouldn’t be enthused about every single one.

3. Saskia says:

alright, i’m not into that business. but i realized that enthusiasm for things is something so many people seemed to have lost these days.

Well, I saw this look at all types of shows, big and small. I just got the impression those people thought it was all a bit of a ‘chore’. I personally don’t see the distinction between big and small – in the end, impressive clothes can come from all types of shows….

5. DJM says:

But if it’s your job to go to shows all the time, it’s not quite as exciting as it is for someone who’s job it isn’t. Editors and the like probably see more clothes and more designers than we could ever hope to, so it’s not as new and exciting to them because on some level they’ve seen it all before, which is why it would take something real special to get them excited – and if they are that jaded, it takes more than nice clothes to impress them. Similarly, a great show with crap clothes will result in the same bored look!

6. jennine says:

it’s tragic having to sit front row of a fashion show bored out of your mind.

7. raji pie says:

Boredom is really the anticipation of something yet to come. Glad she isn’t faking an ‘engaged’ and enthusiastic attitude if she isn’t really feeling the vibe.

8. Anna says:

I do remember a writer saying not long ago that they all get so very weary of fashion shows as nothing impresses them anymore. Which is why there were all stunned & crying at Dior.

9. stylophile says:

i have a day job as a research scientist at an ivy league university. it bores me to tears and i am moving on in a few weeks. i’m probably lucky to be here, and i know that i am fully capable of working here, but its not what makes me happy. so, maybe this girl wasn’t meant to be in fashion? maybe she got to the front row because of connections? it probably isn’t her calling, because if it was, a piece of fabric or a well-made seam would send shivers down her spine. a fashion show, no matter how big or small, never warrants her response. the only person who is allowed to looked bored is anna wintour. and that’s only because she is playing the role of big bad editrix.

10. Eli says:

Wouldnt it be quite funny is she saw this about herself and responded?
    Anyway, this is why I bring my journal with me always. It’s a special one with each page having a preconceived topic to write about. Were she in LA, she would have been yapping on her cellphone (albeit loud) about how bored she was.

11. Fashion shows do kind of get redundant in a sense after being at so many in such a short amount of time.

12. you ARE enthusiasm Suzy. that’s why i love coming here. i remember walking in front of people like this. it was really hard if they were all like that. sometimes they were. the nice part was that you could stomp, glare and sneer at them too. all in a days work.

13. Mellinda says:

Oh,give the girl a break! Who knows, maybe she’s had a rough day or just heard terrible news. C’mon each of us has one, and it’s not like she’s hurting anyone else in the process. Live, please, let others live.

My post wasn’t aimed at this girl in particular but the photo just happened to REMIND me of this certain front row stare that I saw at many many other shows…..
    I bear her no illwilL! It’s like my mindmap – one thing reminds me of the other….

15. Elle says:

Hey, look! She’s rockin’ the head turban look too.

16. lauren says:

I think after working in the fashion industry some people can start to take it for granted. You on the other hand try to enjoy at least one aspect of every show! Doesnt the bored housewife know i’d die to attend just one show at fashion week? grr
    <3 lauren

17. Eaindria says:

hi, please visit http://eaindriacreation.blogspot.com for Unique Handmade accessories.
    Do you want to exchange link?
    Thanks