Dear Susie Bubble,

Where in the whole of London can you gain access to thick, thick opaque tights that just block out any wintry weather?

I’ve never really advocated people asking me for style advice or asking my opinion on things only because I don’t trust my judgement enough to hand it out to poor hapless souls. Fair enough if I make mistakes with my own style choices but upon your head be it, if you take any dodgy advice I hand out.

Still a question like the one above is pretty harmless. A girl from Australia enquiring about Opaque wool tights… I stupidly suggested John Lewis school tights in my email reply but completely forgot my opaque tights ‘tried and tested, absolutely can be relied upon’ solution!  So I might as well share it with everyone else who is vaguely into opaque tights (per chance, who here ISN’T into opaque tights? I might have to politely ask you ‘Why the hell not?’).  I don’t swear by things often but I will swear by Tabio tights. No, this isn’t a sponsored post (classy them wouldn’t dream of asking a inconsequential blog to sponsor things anyway…).  I swear…

… no stretching ….

… lovely range of colours ….

… no chance of laddering ….

… no long crotches (when tights are too short and the crotch doesn’t ‘um’ pull all the way up if you know what I mean…gosh really no eloquent way of saying that) ….

… absolutely no chance of skin showing either ….

The 80 deniers are sufficient enough to have your legs encased in glorious colour (or more neutral colours if you prefer) for clubbing/partying in comfort as they’re about 95% opaque but don’t make your legs sweat.

The 110 deniers are the ones you want to be walking about in broad daylight without ANY chance of letting any skin show.  Pulling them on is a bit of a pleasure in itself. I love how they make my legs look like they’ve been dipped in matted coloured paint.

For real hardcore opaque-ists, 140 deniers ribbed tights come in a more basic palette but a pair in black will see you through some tough times and for the brave could be worn as pants.

The 60 denier micro ribbed tights are also useful for creating slim leg illusions. Clever stuff, eh?

Tabio stores in London are tights/hoisery heaven for me but now an e-shop means everyone can enjoy a bit of Tabio goodness, albeit with a lesser range of colours.  Don’t get me started on their other hoisery wonders. Let’s just say my sock/tights drawer is pretty Tabio-ed up.

So I have lifted my guilt for not answering the question quite so comprehensively.  Conscience cleared…

P.S. Don’t be put off by sizes like medium and large if you’re slim – they’re not really baggy, probably because they originate from Japan where sizes are slightly warped.

1. dreamecho says:

i remember checking out this site awhile back, but sadly the e-shop only delivers within the UK. *sob* from what i have heard around the fashion blogosphere, these WOULD have been the end to my opaque tights quest….

2. emily says:

what does laddering mean? just curious ; )

3. kh says:

Hey Susie, can you post a link to the wool version? I can only seem to find nylon.

Dreamecho: Well, the site does seem to offer intl’ shipping now according to this page…pricy delivery though!
    Emily: Laddering means that the tights get snagged and dragged so that you have annoying running holey lines in them.
    kh: Tabio doesn’t actually sell wooly tights but the denier count is so high, they might as well be wool and they’re more comfy too in my opinion. These mink fabric ones are sort of a more luxurious version of wool-tights…a whooping 210 denier!

5. emily says:

ah..okay. thanks for clearing that up! the image of the 80 dernier tights is making me freak out. i want every single color. its like being in an art supply store and drooling over all the colors of paint.

6. Angie says:

I was THIS close to buying the yellow ones at their Neil street store last time I was in London, but was cringing too much at the CDN/Pound exchange rate. But I think I’ll shell out when I’m back in Sept. It will be my London splurge for the season!
    But maybe I’ll try out the yellow ribbed ones from H&M first, which for some reason I had in my hands last week then put down. What is wrong with me!!

7. valeria says:

i am a huge fan of Kutsushitaya.
    i have them in many colors, also ribbed. 80 den.
    they are the best.

8. DJM says:

I LIVE by these tights! These are my wardrobe staple. I can’t imagine life without my brightly coloured Tabio tights!

9. Anna says:

I am in Japan right now and it is sales period so I went to kutsushitaya (tabio) where everything was 50%off..I’ve bought so many pairs of both tights and socks for the autumn and the winter..I LOVE THEM so much!! so colourful and comfy!!

10. elz says:

oh my god THANK YOUUUU! i’ve been relying on my japanese housemate to bring me back some of those funky toe socks and lacey half sock thingies from japan after the holidays but now i can get them myself! hehe great timing too – i’m moving out at the end of this month! hurrah!!

11. genevieve says:

quicker term for future: ‘little girl crotch’

12. Anonymous says:

Any recommendations for U.S. sites?

13. Anonymous says:

I LOVE tights. But I always find that they’re tight around the waist, and they make that not so flattering fat bulge. Even when I buy them too big (and I’m a small girl).
    Are these comfy at the waist?

14. dreamecho says:

thx for clearing up the shipping, susie! i only looked at the orders page (http://tabio.com/uk/guide/orders.cgi) which says you need to provide a delivery address in the UK to be eligible….funny how the site contradicts itself.
    i am SO excited now! if tabio is as awesome as everyone says, it will probably be worth the exorbitant int’l shipping.
    major thanks for the tabio denier breakdown. now i know what will be good for parties, and what’ll be good for day to day wear in the frigid months. you rock!

15. Nadia says:

I discovered Tabio on my first trip to London and I can’t tell you how much I missed it when I came back home. I did discover their online site but it’s a very small selection compared to the delight of hosiery when I first walked into the store. The next time I get a chance, if I’m in either London or Japan, I will buy much MUCH more than I thought to when I first discovered it.

16. miz says:

Ahh, I remember seeing all the gorgeous coloured Tabio tights in Harrod’s in Lonodn earlier this summer…but I was travelling on a budget and was afraid of running out of my paltry Canadian dollars so I didn’t buy a pair. Of course I should’ve, and saved shipping, because I really want them now! Grr.
    Anyway, I’m always very nervous about buying tights online because of sizing…I’m 5’8, not huge but not at all skinny either. I’m worried they’re going to be too tight for my thighs/butt especially with Japanese sizing meant for petite little girls…
    Should I give it a miss?

17. Della says:

thanks for the tip susie – just what i was looking for!

18. Yeah, I absolutely ADORE Tabio tights. I did a post about them a while back on my old blog. I really love how they feel when you wear them, PLUS they don’t fall down, like the rest of my tights!

19. mfm says:

thanks SO much! i just got my first pairs of tabio tights and socks and i adore them! i have tried at least a dozen brands of tights and so far these are the absolute winners.
    to answer some other poster’s questions, i got the large tights (80 dernier) and they are comfy at the waist. the waist is more the spanx-type with stretchy fabric keeping them up, as opposed to the horrid tiny-elastic-band-at-the-top way of keeping tights up. these are way better than spanx, to me.
    ps. this is my first comment, and i want to say that i love style bubble and your inspirational attitude towards trying new things.