I haven’t been too big a fan of UK Vogue covers. I have to really look past the covers and just delve into the content to make UK Vogue a worthwhile purchae for me.  It’s always a little too softy-softy and pretty-pretty. Even their Agyness Deyn ‘nu-rave’ neon cover was all a little bit tame and half hearted (though not as attrocious as the ‘Boombox’ editorial in the new Sept issue of Elle….god I had to wince whilst I was flicking through it…).

There was a high anticipation for the September cover, given that it’s usually an el chunky issue that needs to grab a lot of attention (all the better to get people flicking through the heaving amount of ads…). There was also anticipation because Sasha Pivovarova would be on the cover for the first time, shot by Nick Knight.  So here it is and it’s a one big blah for me.

Sasha for me is one of those models that can pull off some of the edgier, more ‘difficult’ looks and doesn’t necessarily need to look ‘pretty pretty’.  But they’ve Barbied-her up in a way that is too cold to be endearing and not exaggerated enough to be interesting looking.   Furthermore they’ve made her up to be about 10 years older than she is and put her in an equally age-inducing pink Dior dress.  For an issue that is hailing the new looks for AW07-8, like ‘boho-tec’, S&M and an overall shift towards a new wave of fabrics, this styling just doesn’t work on any level.  Once again, it’s again a matter of looking past the cover.

1. Anonymous says:

Oh this 80′s covers is the love affair ever going to be over? This does not represent at all the new season.

2. Michelle says:

i agree with d first comment guy..
    this look doesnt represent the fall trends.. too romantic, and pinky.. and just soo girlish..
    they should put more grey, neutral, ethnic type of pieces which are big this fall…
    disappointed..

3. Cameron says:

Such a shame when those with the potential to look eye-catching look like the birthday cake at my sixth birthday party.

4. Susan says:

Totally agreed. Is such a shame too as the Vogue UK covers are perhaps the best in the biz!

5. blosson says:

That’s a magazine run by the less classier edgier trendier editor in chief of all Vogue chiefs. Strangely from the UK where the edgiest fashion trends are born.

6. Vouge is obviously trying to develop a preteen fanbase here…
    They’ll be selling issues in Toys’R’Us soon.

7. That cover is such a disappointment. Sasha can do so much better…

8. kayla says:

I have to agree that this doens’t quite represent FALL ’07, except the makeup. Even then the smokey eye is a little heavy. I’ve been seeing a wing-tipped eye in just about all the recent fashion ads.INteresting post.
    p.s. please check my blog i would like some of ur insight .
    thoughtsofafashionista.blogspot.com
    THANKS!

9. Andrea says:

I agree, not that much in whether it represents the season or not, I think a good, beautiful and powerful picture is always good. But as much as I love pink and girly, and regardless of the beauty of the dress, it lacks personality, in my opinion.

10. Andrea says:

..oh, and I don’t like the fact that the model is the ‘G’ in ‘Vogue’…’Voue’???? me confused…( I know this happens in many issues, but still…)

11. jess says:

ahh her hair and makeup are so aging. and the dress is so blah. a lanvin dress would have been lovely.

12. e says:

and i thought american vogue covers were bad…
    you’re exactly right, it’s very BLAH.

13. Anonymous says:

i love sasha, and usually she looks amazing in every shot. this has to be one of her worse shots.

14. Ali says:

This cover is tragic. I love Sasha but this is one of the worst getups I’ve seen her in. Vogue UK is so uninspiring at the moment. I hope they sort it out soon…

15. Drusilla says:

My first thought on seeing that was, what on earth have they done to Sasha? Such a waste of one of the most amazing models around today- and the way they’ve been going, I dread the sight of what will happen when they finally put Irina on the cover.
    I’ve said it before, Vogue UK has better content than the US edition, and at least it’s not as eye-achingly glossy- but over the last year or possibly longer, they’ve just played it too safe with their covers. It doesn’t even look like a fashion magazine cover any more!

16. bianka says:

I actually really like this cover….

17. Naomi says:

I comletly agree. The British vogue sep issue was so dissapointing. For the ¬£3.90 price you would expect some good content and some good articles particularly as it is supposed to be setting up the big trends for the new season but it failed miserably. I was very disappointed with the cover. We’re going into a a season with really edgy and cutting edge trends and they are still giving us the romantic girlie look. I thought VOGUE was supposed to tell us the trends and be one step ahead, instead they are still clearly lagging behing.
    So disappointed. Not worth my money to be frank
    Have a look on my blog and give me a few comments

18. Katy says:

This is a girl who can pull of Prada turbans while sitting on a dark street in an ad and still look great. Leave the Oscar-esque dresses for the “fashionable” movie stars