Original_flapper

As a continuation of yesterday’s onslaught of big bows, I thought a little piccie post would finish it off nicely.  Am I the only numpty who DIDN’T know the origins of the term ‘flapper’ and thought it was just came about from flighty gals who hitched up their skirts a bit and had their hair shingled?

On another note, the crisp white sailor dress with the chunky flat lace-up boots is really working for me…

“A young worker mends army uniforms in America. Her sailor suit-style is typical of childrenswear at the time. Boys would have worn a similar top, but with trousers. The bows which girls wore in their hair became known as ‘flappers’ because of the way they fell onto the head. The name would stick with this generation, as they grew up in the Twenties.”

(Again, with help from the Beautiful Century who very laboriously scanned the pic from Decades of Fashion).

1. Sarah says:

I had no idea thats where the name flapper came from either!

2. floraposte says:

What a great piece of trivia!

3. She look like Selina of the Flying Saucer

4. aziza x says:

I thought flapper came from the fringe dresses that they wore. I love her shoes. I just bought a pair like that from eBay.

5. What a darling creature!

6. Drusilla says:

Funny, I just did a post about a movie that featured a liberal helping of big bows…love the photograph.

7. Drusilla says:

And I thought ‘flapper’ came from the boots they wore unlaced, or something…all mixed up is what this is.

8. Yeah I prefer your version of the origins of the word flapper – more a thoroughly modern mille view of the world. Far nicer.

9. Yeah I prefer your version of the origins of the word flapper – more a thoroughly modern mille view of the world. Far nicer.

10. Hannah-zoe says:

i thought flapper came from the open boots as well. oh well, mabey its a mix of them all.

11. paris says:

Awe, such a lovely post! And interesting too xx

12. selina says:

little did I know either!

13. Love the bow! I love how function is often the beginning of fashion.

14. Jael says:

I was just reading in the book The Classic Ten by Nancy MacDonell Smith that much of the flapper look was taken from little girls’ clothes. I can really see it in this picture.

15. lady coveted says:

i thought the term flapper came from the way the ladies danced to jazz…
    hmm… this is a nice bit of trivia, and it is a lovely pic.

16. Anonymous says:

I wasn’t aware of this term of “flapper”, however, you might also be interested to know that The young teens during the early 1920′s wore men’s fisherman boots (wellies?) with buckles on them, in which they left unhinged, henced earning the nickname Flappers….

17. julie says:

Flapper came from how the girls wore their boots, one tied up and the other not.
    do you know what the men were called in the 20s?