• #insideout oi oi @cosstores and @currentelliott - who made your clothes??? @fash_rev
  • Last @designerjumble outfit of the day - @saundersstudio jacket, Betty Jackson jacket, Antithesis shirt, @fromsomewhereuk top, Loewe skirt, Luella bag
  • More brilliant @designerjumble pieces @prada top and skirt, Antony Price parachute dress @rupertsanderson shoes
  • Made In Britain pieces by @jameslonglondon and @topshop Who made your clothes? #InsideOut @fash_rev
  • Amazing pieces from a 1,500 collection of Hannalore Smart, widow of Circus King Billy Smart Jr... Alaia,  Gaultier, Comme, Issey Miyake, Prada... All going into @designerjumble soon with some on auction!! Gaultier corset, vintage customised jeans, Prada shoes, CdG skirt - very Meadham Kirchhoff SS13!

Going to Amsterdam provided me the perfect opportunity to go and stalk Jan Taminiau, one of the earliest Dutch designers that I had heard about other than the obvious names.  I like that he says he is resolutely Dutch whilst still being able to present his couture collections in Paris.  So the HTNK agency in Amsterdam very helpfully set me up with a stalking opp by allowing us to venture into his studio in the red light district where Taminiau and his busy-bees were working away on custom orders for his clients.  First we were confronted with a dress from his Check Check Mate collection which I've been meaning to post about but somehow in the back of my mind, I had predicted this predatory stalking opp so I've waited until now to talk it up.  Tis' a good thing that I did wait because from the images, I didn't realise these silver embellishments were poppers and that they functioned to make the garments shaped differently dependong on how you snap them together.  Basically what looks like a simple shift dress could ensue in hours of joy by just the snap of a button… and the noise is of course a joy in itself…

IMG_0644
IMG_0645 IMG_0653

I did some snooping around his moodboard too… I have an unhealthy obsession with designers' moodboards and was pleased to find an array of visual references… the Elizabethan paintings of course  directly led to Taminiau's huge checked ruffs…

IMG_0649

IMG_0657 IMG_0658

IMG_0650

Taminiau and his team were also working on these fabric experimentations with cut-out silk petals…

IMG_0651
IMG_0655

He also created a fragrance specifically for this 'Check Check Mate' collection… took a wee sniff… quite a heavily sweet scent…

IMG_0646

This collection was actually presented online through a 360 degree-view video which is the perfect medium for looking at these giant dress/ruff structures.  Now I can actually spot the snap buttons, which leaves me with an unhealthy urge to snap the ruffs into different shapes…

Jantam1
Jantam2
Jantam3

1. ambika says:

As much as I love to use buttons as decoration on clothing, purses, etc, I don’t think I’d ever think to use button snaps–I didn’t even realize what they were at first. How brilliant.

2. sd says:

wow the sculptural pieces are stunning! and i definitely see the Elizabethan inspiration.
    and the snap dress is really something extraordinary and so unique

3. Alicia says:

What a concept. I would have never thought to put snaps on clothing in this manner or to this degree. I can only imagine the fun I’d have with just one of those pieces…or a dress and a ruff. Endless possibilities.

4. diane says:

This is one of my favorite “inside scoops” ever. I find that first dress to be fascinating. The ones with the giant ruffs, however, remind me of those weird dinosaurs that spit from the movie Jurassic Park.

5. I simply am speechless! The buttons and tiny jewels are so mesmerising! I love pieces that you can transform too I will be keeping my eye on this designer for sure, thanks for sharing!
    x

6. Jennifer says:

Who would have thought to use snaps as an embellishment? Very original!
    xo
    Jennifer

7. claire says:

That’s bloody brilliant. Too many of my upper-body clothes don’t fit me properly.. but they will soon. And look the better for it, on and off!
    The ruffs and headdresses are fierce, too, and *darn* those silver nobbly flares. *_*

8. very inspiration pieces…both in concept and aesthetically.
    - http://fashionablepalette.blogspot.com/

9. Kb says:

Love, love, love that first dress, such a cool idea. I would have hours of fun with this.

10. Eline says:

This man is a genius IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. I know where I’ll be going on my trip to the Netherlands in August.

11. Holy frijoles…. those are freaking amaaaazziing!! I’m planning on darting around Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia for my honeymoon…. luckily my sweets is mad into design too so we can plan a whole trip around it. ;)

12. Brigadeiro says:

GORGEOUS! Love the first dress, but the petal ‘coral’ & pleated pieces are just beautiful!
    xx

13. Ella says:

I have a thing for moodboards as well (to be honest, I thought it were just me) it’s that sneak-peek into a designer’s creative process that I love.

14. KD says:

The poppers and ruffles are genius!

15. battery says:

http://www.cheapbatteryshop.co.uk/laptop-battery/hp-compaq-business-notebook-6715b.html hp 6715b battery
    http://www.cheapbatteryshop.co.uk/laptop-battery/dell-latitude-d505.html dell d505 battery
    http://www.cheapbatteryshop.co.uk/laptop-battery/dell-vostro-1500.html dell vostro 1500 battery
    http://www.cheapbatteryshop.co.uk laptop battery

16. billy kidd says:

love the dresses!

17. Isabel says:

WOW – girl knows how to do embellishments!

18. These pieces are ornate and stunning! I absolutely adore the first dress!

19. Wow…these are amazing…They look a little Danilo Donati even.Have you ever seen this clip of his Papal Fashion show?Im sure you would reaaaaally feel inspired by this…Its one of my favorites.
    It gets better as it goes…X

20. MillieMegan says:

What an IDEA,I am really Speechless,it’s really Stunning.Brilliant Blog

21. wonderful – not sure if this is photoshop embelishments – which in real life would be fantastically confronting/striking. Like Wow! – Samx

22. dress says:

23. Megan Guernsey says:

These are clownish, amazing. Seeing the royal wedding, anyone?

24. digital says: