• It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk
  • Swash land at @liger_hk Patterson St store #SwashLondon

I found it incredibly difficult to start this post given that I've long admired the subject of the post for so long and self consciously, I'm thinking about the most perfect way of presenting her and her work to do it proper justice.

Well for a start I've failed miserably on the image front given that the subject is known for a precise application of hard-hitting images.  Except my camera skills are lacking in finesse and thus I feel I've already failed without having even typed out her name!

Onwards and upwards.  So as per the first image of this post, I'm delving into the subject matter of Luxirare.  Qui est Luxirare you ask?  I'm hoping a good majority of you have stumbled upon and become hopelessly addicted to her blog
If not then, I ask you to click and click again through her archives to
delve into the stupendously pristine and stunning world of "killer
clothes" and "fine cuisine" that she has been creating and posting about.  I was turned on to her blog by the wonderful Gnarlitude and haven't looked back since.  Unlike a
rampant posting rabbit like me, she selects carefully and posts images
that literally sear in to your brain the moment you clap your eyes on
them.  She has ALWAYS been fond of the wide format blog daring to go where few blogs go… 900 px wide I tells ya.  Deliciously dangerous frontiers, no?

Alongside the blog though, Luxirare is a testing ground for her own clothing label that she doesn't actually sell to anyone but with all the physical branding that she has ready to go… I feel quite honoured to be the first recipient of a Luxirare piece but before I even got to the garment in question, I was firstly surprised by the level of detailing that had gone into the packaging and the overall perfectionist presentation.  Like I said she sells to nobody but is clearly keen to present her wares in the ultimate and correct way in her eyes, even if it is just the one person (little old me…) seeing it all.  And yes, that is a jar of truffle honey kindly prescribed by Dr. Luxirare, that I'll be having on my crumpets this weekend.
 Luxirarelabels

When I first discovered her posts that contained her own label clothing, it was clear that this was a girl who is making clothes purely for herself and for the love of crafting clothes that she can't find elsewhere.  There's no Etsy shop, no online stockist and nothing else to motivate her other than the desire for the perfect bias-cut ruffle, or the need for a square cut mesh dress or the right accompanying ensemble for her carefully curated wardrobe (please promptly weep at her Chanel, Margiela and Christopher Kane).  The pieces are all 'killer' of course but there's something in them that makes you want to delve deeper and I did continually question why this girl hasn't established herself with a label yet.  It was here that I decided to be a bit pushy and see if I could have my way with this particular biker jackdet that's made up of three different shades of nude mesh.  Luxirare thankfully said yes and so the wait began for…

Luxirarepieces
…what is the jacket that will from this moment in time be known as the "the talking point."  One day on my back and it has already struck a slew of conversations with random strangers on the way to work and around town who would otherwise be reserved in the way most Londoners are.  Of course, explaining one's favourite blogger is a bit of a mouthful for the general public who aren't blog-consuming geeks.  So I just let them touch it instead.  Shut up and touch my patchwork zippered boob, I say.

I can't quite explain how wonderful this jacket is and have been thinking of different metaphors, similes and hyperboles that all sound pretty dorky and not worthy as descriptions.  This was the ultimate cheesy one.  It's like that scene in Clueless where Cher is being mugged and is made to lie down and she pleas "You don't understand, this is an Alaia!"  Similarly if I was being held at gunpoint and being made to lie on the ground (especially on the spit-infested, chewing-gum pock marked streets of London…), I'd be quivering and murmuring "But this jacket is Luxirare!".  It's the nude mesh really and the silvery grey satin panels that really wouldn't take well to being battered or beaten up in any way… and for once, I'm being forced to keep something in pristine condition just because it's err… lux and rare…

I'm not going to attempt to be descriptive about the jacket because I already gave a ridiculous simile so I'll let the deet pics do the talking…

Luxiraredeets
Today, knowing that I was going to photograph the jacket, I thought long and hard about the outfit, something which I haven't done in a long time and in the end, the gut feeling that something as magnificent as this jacket doesn't need all kinds of jazz going on alongside it.  So on went a pale green sheer Topshop dress (still obsessed with that Ohne Titel S/S 09 palette…) that I keep for sentimental value even though it's torn and ripped, the Tao knitted shorts, a black layered sheer top underneath and some Primark flats that were a forced gift from the boyf's nan.  Killer heels would have been the obvious choice with the 'killer jacket' but somehow I didn't feel like being overly 'killer' today.  Of course the gloves and Fannie Schiavoni glove had to figure in somehow…

DSC_1804
DSC_1807 DSC_1813

I accidentally fell into a flamenco pose here whilst trying to adjust my hair…

DSC_1782

DSC_1823 DSC_1826

DSC_1857

I may have lavished a lot of typing and images on one jacket but I guess the crux of the matter is that after consuming Luxirare's blog for months, having clapped my eyes on her sewn label and experienced her superbly made clothing in person, there is only one clear conclusion for me.  I'm seeing a Luxirare concept store that's already got a headstart what with her own packaging ventures.  I'm seeing a restaurant/food store in the basement urging us to try sea urchin, buy a blue pistachio cake or eat truffle honey on toast.  I'm seeing careful racks of clothing that aren't made in large quantities.  I'm seeing an in-house magazine.  I'm seeing in-house compliation albums.  I have an overactive imagination and hopefully Luxirare will forgive me for that.  Perhaps a slightly less intrepid move would be to offer her clothes to what I think is a welcoming public, judging from today's reactions.  I may be the first Luxirare wearer other than Luxirare herself but I'm hopefully not the last.

1. Amy says:

i am so jealous of that jacket.

2. The Stylist says:

That’s a wonderful jacket.

3. LauraKitty says:

Wow! I loved that jacket the minute I saw it on her blog and I can’t believe she gave it to you! That’s beyond amazing! The level of attention to detail in all of her work is quite staggering, as is her imagination. Take good care of it!

4. The way you styled this just goes to show how very deserving you are to be Luxirare’s first customer! The workmanship is amazing, I kind of just want to ogle/fondle/sniff the flawless workmanship

5. SOS! says:

love love love it. love the shock factor, the colour, the structure, the pattern work..all of it.
    xx-LJ from SOS!

6. Annie says:

This post is quite awesome.
    When I first saw the jacket I scrunched my face with one of those “I can’t believe anyone would actually wear that/ It’s not art it’s trash” expressions. BUt when I saw the way you styled it I thought it looked lovely… more of an Elsa Schiaperelli-type humor than something that looks like a hipster trying too hard. I agree, the flats do work much better than heels, and I adore the color matching between them and the tights. It’s cute and coy, not trashy. (Tell me, again, why you aren’t the editor-in-chief of a fashion mag???)

7. Jennifer says:

Wow- She is brilliant! That jacket is nothing short of amazing!

8. Glendy says:

This jacket is absolutely beautiful and amazing, hands down, it is one of my fav looks, you look like the ultimate fashion ninja lmao.
    Much love,
    Glendy

9. Ms. Jenn says:

Oh she’s been such a major blogcrush of mine! I’d be so happy to see a store of any kind with her clothes and food. Amazing.

10. that jacket is. seriously. amazing.
    well styled to boot.
    i am constantly envious of luxirare’s styling and cuisine. I am thinking she would be the best friend ever.
    I have recently discovered your blog and have been loving it as well.

11. amanda says:

she deserved a post this long in her honor. i am consistently blown away by her designs and her food creations. i am so jealous you got that jacket!!! she would be crazy not to start selling her stuff, although i respect her decision not too if it’s something she wants to keep small.

12. kokopuff says:

i’ve become addicted to her blog as well. i think she lives in nyc. i must find out where she lives and raid her fridge. pie pops!!!
    and you do that jacket great justice.

13. KD says:

You lucky, lucky girl. She is brilliant!!

14. camille says:

OMG IM SO JELOUS OF YOU RIGHT NOW, pretty much her and your blog is my fave and well its great to see you work together finally as you both have such unique style but still….i want to own on of her pieces so bad and well you are soooooo lucky!

15. Alicia says:

Brilliant.
    I’m a huge fan of Luxirare (been through the whole blog a few times), so I can completely understand the unction behind writing so much about one jacket.
    It’s as amazing as I hoped it would be and I’m jealous as fuck.
    Part of me wishes her clothes were made available, but another part of my wants it to not be watered down by the public…save you, of course. You wouldn’t water down anything. ;)

16. jess says:

She is incredibly talented. I’m so blown away by her posts on her food creations. The way she presents her ingredients, the way two ingredients come together, etc is just incredible. I like that there is something slightly strange (very clinical, scientific!) about it all… its very attractive, very difficult to look away.

17. battery says:

lucky girl. She is brilliant!!

18. battery says:

that jacket is. seriously. amazing.
    well styled to boot.
    laptop battery
    I have recently discovered your blog and have been loving it as well.
    toshiba pa3399u-1bas
    toshiba pa3465u-1brs

19. Eli says:

geez, that is absolutely amazing. this jacket is one of the most beautiful things on the site! Im glad if anyone got one, that it was you.

20. Cristina says:

I love LUXIRARE!!! I tried making those mini pie lollipops the day after I saw them on her blog, but did not come anywhere near close in presentation! She is sooo awesome! Love how you styled the jacket!! xo

21. Sister Wolf says:

Your styling is everything. You look like a painting in the flamenco pose.
    I hate her blog, though. Don’t tell anyone!

22. FOXYMAN says:

Luxirare is brilliant!!!!!!! and I can’t think of anyone that would rock that jacket better than you…
    Luxirare totally deserves all the attention she can get because she’s a fucking star!

23. sd says:

that jacket is insane!!!

24. glory says:

a fellow fan of luxirare, i spent couple days straight reading her posts all the way back to her first so i totally understand! haha (Y)

25. Kaylene says:

Luxirare is so inspiring. I’d love to know more about her, like where she learnt her design/sewing/cooking skills etc. And the concept store would be a dream!

26. tanya says:

the fake pierced nipple on her jacket makes my heart sing

27. You look amazing in the jacket… the effort she goes to on the little details is so super impressive that it makes me ache. Does that even make sense? Did you see the pie-pops? I mean what the fuck with the little wrappers and stickers with the picture and stuff.
    That woman is beyond the normal realm of things… she’s a true ARTIST.

28. Elle says:

She is fantastic. One of my favourite bloggers. I want to see her face!

29. Brilliantly creative and what a wonderful concept/endeavour.
    Much to admire and I particularly hearted the black top and shirt combo.
    You look lovely in the photos and so right about keeping the colour palette pale x

30. Rowena says:

I love her branding too – quite inspirational. What an amazing jacket, I’ve been coveting it ever since I saw it on the blog. Great gentle colours matched against nipple rings and moto. Just beautiful.

31. fiona t says:

the jacket looks so cute on you!! the tights and ballet flats really did it. not everyone can pull something like that off.
    personalised truffle honey is also such a thoughtful, creative touch. divine.

32. Melanie says:

That jacket is so incredibly wonderful, the colours and textures are just amazing. I love her branding too, it’s just done to perfection. x

33. Suzanne says:

wow, amazing jacket!s

34. glittah says:

I’m a big fan of hers as well.
    I think that’s what we all, information and consumerism junkies, need in this day and age: to become more thoughtful and considerate of the things we buy, talk about, and choose to make. She is an inspiration.

35. Emma J says:

Luxirare is just amazing. I love the fringe detail on your jacket that the first one didn’t seem to have- like she wants every piece she makes to be unique and special. Very inspiring.

36. I love her blog, the cooking is breathtaking, the photos stunning, all the labels and packaging make it all very special indeed. Great jacket, look forward to spotting it in London!

37. Brigadeiro says:

Luxirare is truly unbelievable, I can never believe my eyes when I look at her blog, the food, the clothes, the photos, everything! This jacket is no exception! Love the way you styled it, and the pics are gorgeous too ;)
    xx
    PS. The truffled honey has my mouth watering…

38. Josh says:

I’m a big big fan of hers as well, and I’m SO envious that you’ve acquired one of her items.
    Amazing styling with the jacket.

39. Amazing crafty jacket with superb detailing.
    Love the last picture….great photography!!!!

40. It is like a Picasso – obsure perfection!
    I think she obviously saw how much your would appreciated the jacket, and everything about it from her creation, each stich. I think one of the most beautiful things about a person is to see how they care about things be it clothes or anything else. It really does look good with the glove! x

41. I am freaking in love with that jacket!! You are so lucky to have been given that!! And I love how she wrapped and labelled everything so precisely. Luxirare is one of a kind.

42. alanna says:

OOOH IT LOOKS REALLY AWESOME ON YOU. i love luxirare, a truly hypnotic blog

43. luxirare says:

You look beautiful in that Jacket. Now I cannot think of anyone else that would look better, and I realize sending this to you is a perfect fit. You look better in it than I do. …this writing, I cannot believe you put so much though and detail into how you presented it…I did not expect it at all and quite honestly I feel as though I have not given you enough..I am just beyond blown away.

44. This girl has some serious, serious design and sewing skills! I love when peoples true love of creating comes through in their designs, and I think it really shows here. I also love it when you can photograph a piece of clothing really close up, and the details are just as well done as the overall concept. Luxirare has got it all, can’t wait to see more :)

45. Isabel says:

I’ve loved that jacket the minute I saw it on her blog. And to see it on you? I’m nearly speechless with wonder.

46. Air says:

So jealous that you got one of her products. AMAZING!

47. MJ says:

Oh my god, that is beautiful! You’re so lucky!

48. alain says:

Super ton blog
    Je t’invite √† d√©couvrir le mien;
    Bonne balade et tag si ca te plait

49. Bonnie says:

Wow thanks for that I am actually now addicted to Luxirare’s blog. I also like your interesting mix of colour, it’s always good to see people experiment more with their clothes and pushing boundaries.

50. Aja says:

That’s funny, I was just checking out her blog yesterday and looking at how neatly she labels and packages everything. I should set a new goal to be that organized!

51. Meream says:

That jacket is so you, Susie. Will stalk this designer now, too. You said some great things about her. :D

52. FashAddict says:

Hey Susie,
    Thanks so much for sharing this great post and enlightening us un-enlightened few about Luxirare. Amazing, gorgeous creations! I will be checking back.
    Was glad to have pointed you to Street Hearts, thanks for the comment x

53. Crystal says:

AAHHHHHHH two of my favorite fashion bloggers in the same post! I think I’m in blogger heaven. I’ve always secretly hoped that you guys were friends. I hope that’s not weird to say…..

54. Wow! That jacket is awesome! WOW!

55. jennine says:

she is quite an amazign and inspiring person and i adore her blog… i’m so glad you got the first of her collection! i can’t imagine anyone else wearing it better!

56. Speechless that she made you that jacket! She’s incredible. In total agreement that she already has such a strong ‘brand’. We can all hope?

57. Winnie says:

Oh that is the most beautiful jacket I have seen on your blog. Stunning stunning stunning!

58. Ali says:

Boob jackets and cock socks – Susie you are my hero!
    And I too am astounded by Luxirare’s skills. Incredible!

59. Kat says:

Hi there Susie! That jacket is a WOW! You look great in Luxirare’s art! Perfect! I’m a fan of Luxirare too.

60. that is beautiful. luxirare is amazing…and the way you style that jacket…well let’s just say…that’s WHY she made the smart choice of having you be the first to wear her clothing other than herself.

61. claire says:

I found her blog via your sidebar, and her images (and.. produce?) do stick in my mind quite commonly. They’re the sorts of things that make you think, even with a glance, that’s *quality*. The details shots you’ve shown here do drive home just how exquisitely she works, though.
    And I must say, your styling WORKS.

62. wow.
    and even the packaging is wow as well.

63. Hey! i never seen that outfit before.looks cool and very attractive. how i wish i could wear those clothes. keep posting!
    -sidney-

64. Edel says:

I think you really did her justice with this post :) especially your styling of the jacket. Your fantasy description of a potential store sounds a dream!

65. I would never personally have chosen the nude biker jacket and the skirt and top in the collection looks a little garish for me although worn on the jacket loooked stunning. A real eye opener. It is completely unique. The capes look so luxe, they were divine. I love the packaging, very clean cut!
    poker rakeback

66. Natty says:

There is something very Heston Blummenthal about how Luxirare approaches both food and fashion and this is what makes me love her blog so much. She is a true inspiration and here is hoping that a Luxirare label is not just in my dreams.

67. diane says:

oh this is crazy!! i love the details, so funny and original!!

68. Pearlin says:

I love her blog too, she’s pure genius!
    Pearlin
    Chief Guinea Pig

69. hek says:

Wow!
    Luxirare is so inspiring, but so are you!:)
    Great post.

70. Sylvia says:

That jacket is awesome, but I absolutely looove the black studded jacket!

71. I JUST DIED A LITTLE. You couldn’t have described everything better Susie. Really.

72. Brittany says:

painfully jealous! both of your blogs are on my top reading list – nice to see the two converging. i just have to know how that truffle honey tastes – I imagine “heaven”

73. Raych says:

I can’t believe you’re one of the first recipients of one of her pieces! The fact that her work is indeed pristine and made with extreme amounts of care and love totally escalates the value of the jacket.
    It looks beautiful on you, and the outfit you paired it compliments the jackets just as much.
    What I can’t get over is your writing! You never cease to amaze me with your ability to express yourself so eloquently.

74. what a brilliant mind she has!
    i love her style and your style as well!

75. Olviya says:

you look gently killing)

76. Candice says:

!! bitchhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    luxirare is totally hot. i dont wanna see her face. the mystery makes it hotter.
    she is also smart. using her blog to build a fan base before launching is a wise move.

77. Summer says:

Oh my lord.
    That jacket just ate a part of my soul.

78. Kelly says:

that jacket is stunning!

79. Adeliet says:

I truly adore Luxirare for all her designs and her motivation to be one of the kind. And SO ARE YOU! Your style is so gorgeous — you’ve wore this so differently from how Luxirare would wear it and you’ve shown another perspective of this jacket! HOW AWESOME IS THAT! Kudos to the both of you!
    xx Adeliet

80. Elena says:

Love Luxirare, and that jacket is TO DIE FOR.
    I hope to get some of her pieces one day, if she does sell them finally.
    I guess I’d get looks from everybody if I wore a jacket like that, but what the hell, I’d wear it so proud.

81. the jacket is just amazing! i love the minty green you put underneath it. i’m excited to see what other outfits you put together with this piece.

82. julie says:

wow! such lovely detailing

83. molly says:

amazing. it’s so you. cherish it.

84. Alicia says:

kick fucking ass.
    I’m from the food side of things and am just as impressed. It’s so awesome to see that jacket on a body!
    enjoy it.
    sometimes I think that secret is better than everybody knowing. I live in the midwest, so it’s pointless to expect anybody to recognize anything.

85. that really is insanely beautiful. i love the outfit too.

86. magenpies says:

I want to take that jacket behind the gym and have its babies. This needs to be available for sale like, right this second kplzthnx!

87. Alexandra says:

This is very old but I got linked from luxirare and I just love, love, love this post…