• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

DSC_1875 DSC_1877

2804718517_4d055d7092_b

My Hong Kong shopping tales continue and as tiresome as it's getting, at least here, there will be a feast of eye candy (or cutie loooor!) that doesn't require a plane ticket to the Far East to appreciate.

The word 'chains' isn't necessarily an evil one in Hong Kong.  Most people who have shopped in HK will have come across an I.T. or i.t. store or shops that are operated by the I.T. Group (Tsumori Chisato, A.P.C., Beams Boy etc…).  I wouldn't say I necessarily experience pedestrian monotony in said stores even if there is something of an I.T. takeover all over the small space of HK.

And this certainly isn't the case for uuu…shooop!!! (you can do that annoying upper/lower case thing if you please but I had enough of that when I was on ICQ) which has five stores in HK.  Finding info on the store, the brand has proved to be a bit of a mouseclick hell given that the website is laden with flash and bits of broken code everywhere.  I still haven't got it quite right but here goes… the parent company is called 'magasin d'univers' (established in 1997 apparently…) and it houses the labels uuu…shooop!!!, which is the name of the stores that are dotted around Hong Kong, and another label Iig-Loo.

Actually, cut the fashion family tree crap out.  Let the uuu…shooop peeps tell it like it is…(this is directly copied from their Facebook page)

"We have no design plan,no direction,no reason,and nothing want to express. All of our product are only design for girls who like to dress up.that`s it! Please never waste time to ask why. Just concentrate on what we want to dress and cheer yourselves up! : )"

That's a big smiley faced ending by the way.  Of course, a statement like that is irksome to people like me who is constantly asking WHY? WHATTY? WTF?  I'll try and restrain my questions and simply say that everything in uuu…shooop's DNA, the shop interiors, branding, packaging and the pieces themselves are all geared to propel you into a world where it seems perfectly normal to wear five or more heavily texture/arisanal layers with slightly odd proportions that will give you the overall effect of looking like a folkloric cartoon character.  This is more appealling than it sounds when you're actually in the store, mind you.  The brain is conjuring up a million things when you're looking at their clothes and lookbooks; certain Hayao Miyazaki films and their wardrobing, hyper-folk, Scandinavian design, elements of Western period dressing, cottages, the imaginary clothes of Moomin (if they were to wear clothes…), Noddyville, forests… all of this added to the deliberately layered styling that the clothes are engineered for.

DSC_1872

Some of you think I wear layers?  Nay… one has not seen layering until you see the shop staff of uuu…shooop.  In order to amp their commission sales, they even sell in ideas of layering to you that are admittedly doable… "You could wear these shorts over these leggings and maybe with the legwarmers too… and two pairs of socks too so that one peeks out over the other…."

Your head might conjure up different things as you scroll through these lookbook images… don't ask me to name seasons.  There is no rhyme or reason other than they're all *I think * uuu…shooop collections, all given names like "Flying Castle of Captain J" OR "Rhapsody in Trzy Kolor"… like they said, don't ask why.  Just dress up!

Flyingcap1 Flyingcap2

Flyingcap3 Flyingcap4

Rapsody1 Rapsody2 Rapsody3 Rapsody4 Puppet1

Minty1 Minty2

Uuushoop1 Uuushoop3

Uuushoop2

These are from the Iig Loo collection… the other line that's part of Magasin D'Univers…

Iigloo1 Iigloo2

Iigloo3 Iigloo4

You woulda thunk that in a shop, whose goal it is to drive people into walking out wearing 15 items at a time, I, of all people, would have gone crazy.  Sadly, like the restraint I have to apply to asking the question "Why?", I also had to restrict my spending.  So the effect of buying a pair of knitted shorts, leggings and a bi-chimney hat (yes, I do need TWO chimneys to let the steam out of my head…) isn't quite as multi-tiered as what uuu…shooop intended.  I'll duly work on that though and hope that I too can "dress and cheer up!"

DSC_1853

DSC_1859

DSC_1865

Here's one for the family album…

DSC_1858

1. Lara says:

wow…don’t think i’ve ever seen that many layers of clothes worn at once…strangely disconcerting way of dressing. hm. love the leggings, though! and those shorts, of course

2. margret says:

i wish i could fly like that too!!
    lolz

3. LoU says:

Love your kind of funny? style, i think it looks funny, but on the best way! i get so inspiret by you and pleas dont EVER stop blogging!
    Lollipop hugs LoU

4. arline says:

Only you can pull off what you put together, and look so adorable.

5. tara says:

i like u’r hat, so cute and funny
    visit and leave u’r comment too in my blog :

6. jess says:

hilarious! love your outfit! 1st pic looks really good.

7. jess says:

ps- what is the location of the shop? their website is not telling me anything.

8. Christing says:

so cute and very ‘hong kong!’ wish i could pull off something like that…my cousins from hong kong all dress in layers and colors! it’s so refreshing. keep the hong kong shopping destinations coming. i’m going in 2 weeks and am keeping a list of must see shops from your blog!!

9. Rachael says:

I love it! Just dress up…I think that I definitely see eye to eye with them on that one!
    So cute…and with all those layers VERY COSY! xx

10. Anna says:

just wondering :) which stores of uuu shop! did you go to?

11. Anna says:

uuushooop APM
    shop L2, level 2, apm, millennium city 5, 418 kwun tong road, hk
    T +852 3148 1131, Hrs 11:00-24:00
    uuushooop CWB
    shop 206-208, 2nd floor, island beverley, 1 great george street, causeway bay, hk
    T: +852 2808 0205, Hrs: 13:30-23:00
    uuushooop LP
    shops nos 19,20,21, level 9, langham place, 8 argyle street,
    mongkok, kln, hk
    uuushooop TM
    shop 3266, 3/f, tuen mun town plaza, phase 1, tuen mun, nt
    T: +852 2430 2959, Hrs: 12:00-22:00
    reply to jess.

Anna: Thanks for the address list…
    There’s also one on G/F No. 8, 5-11 Granville Circuit, Tsim Tha Tsui… more convienient if you want to check out the whole Rise Commercial Building mall also on Granville Circuit (lots of indie labels here!)
    I went to the one in Langham Place and the one in TST… both very good!

13. sisimae says:

I actually seen that shop last week, and immeidately thought of you!!

14. Ah great fun the yellow makes it all pop!
    Hope to make the BA talk tomorrow, Agnes has invited me to pop along.

15. Jeanette says:

Cool! you went to that shop!…. I got so many things recently from there…one good thing abt this store is that the salesgirls there teach you the versatility of using one piece of clothing to dress in different ways e.g. a top as a scarf, a top as a skirt.. etc etc…

16. Oh these photos are amazing thank you for sharing them.

17. Oh cool..These kind of stores always fascinate me. I love all of these Hong Kong/Japanese designers that are ultra layering and really going crazy with proportions. I love it!

18. KD says:

Not only do I love the clothes, especially your awesome outfit, but I LOVE all their smiley, jumpey poses! Such a nice change.

19. Hannah says:

I love the ads! In fact, they make me wanna shoop!

20. Intan says:

Such a beautiful post! And what a lovely store! I LOVE IT!!!!! :)

21. Kendall says:

LOL witty post today s. [like most days] but today especially.
    xxoo from toronto

22. Hihi the hat is making me all sorts of giggly. :D
    -meream

23. Brigadeiro says:

Ah! The hat, leggings, whole outfit…L O V E ! ! !
    xx
    PS. exercising restraint surely paid off with the best selected items ;)

24. Carla says:

haha love the family album pic. Layering done right, very cool.

25. Isabel says:

That store sounds like an absolute riot! The hat is really funny/awesome.

26. Liz Blair says:

Love the pictures. Since I don’t know when I’ll ever get to Hong Kong, this was the next best thing. Love the kooky outfit!

27. Becca says:

SO many great pieces! I love the ‘two-chimney’ hat – so cute!

28. nora says:

your outfit is super sweet here. i love it! i miss visitng hong kong, i really want to go back and pay a visit. i’ll definitely remember this store. thanks for the info!

29. S!NA says:

I love your hat!!! cute^^

30. Kitty says:

I am a big fan of the shop and I do spend quite a lot of money there.
    Sometimes I tell myself to resist but fail.
    Just can’t resist to it!
    LOVE IT

31. Wonderfull colection and great pictures!!
    By the way your blog is one of my prefers!!

32. hogan says:

so awesome!
    i find it interesting that their looks definitely feel very hongkongnese even though it’s not immediately what i would think of when i think of hong kong people’s style.

33. josmari says:

OMG thank you for this post. I’ve been needing more ideas for layering and this was very helpful. One day I want to visit Tokyo and London and get some clothes nobody else has here. One day…

34. Val n Cami says:

you are so cute! your shorts and shoes are adorable!!
    xo, camilla

35. Madeline says:

I really like that phrase, “dress and cheer up.” That’s what pretty clothes are all about!
    How do you buy this stuff? I mean I probably couldn’t afford it, but is there like an online shop or something? Because as far as I can tell the website is just a lookbook.

36. Yvonne Gao says:

oh my gosh. Toooo fun. I like this stuff!

37. bki says:

i am fans of this brand. I have the hat in the pics too!!! the sales taught me that you can cut the thread that ties the 2 chimneys and than locate the chimneys to the position you like with thread. It might sound troublesome but this a way out when you feel bored with the hat hahahha

38. Crystal says:

That last photo made me smile :)

39. ayu says:

hi! i am a girl from Hong Kong!
    it’s great to know you came to Hong Kong JUZ few days before :]
    hope you got a nice exp. here!
    P.S. I always enjoy to read your blog!

40. madeline says:

i’ve only been to hong kong once, in may 2008, but i actually did run across uuu…shooop! i did buy a little sailor jacket. the staff tried, very charmingly, to talk me into all kinds of other baggy shorts and things. as i’m only half cantonese, and was generally the tallest person in the room during the time i was in HK, i tended to look pretty overgrown in most of the stuff i tried on.
    i can definitely appreciate the aesthetic, i’m just not so sure it works well on anyone over 5’5!

Madeline: Well, I’m 5’7 but I kind of like the fact that the layers don’t necessarily swamp me… I know what you mean though… that’s probably what stopped me from buying the whole store…

42. gina says:

Your lace up crayon boxing shorts are kind of amazing.

43. olive says:

I LOVE YOUR SHOES AND YOUR HAT!

44. Ulla says:

These are some of the more clever and creative shapes and fashions that I have seen in a long time! Wonderful!!! and I love your choices!
    Ulla

45. I particularly like that very last look. Everything about it really.