• Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura
  • Accessorising my @ayame_socks  clad feet with @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear and @christopherkanestudio belt
  • Robo Mentalz

Dear lord I am a moaner this week aren't I… first it's not having enough clothes to last the week, then it's expensive wifi at the new hotel and now it's err… differences in Japanese and UK products.  I'll be nit picking at the opacity of curtains next.  Beware…

Back to Japanese/UK product differentiation though.  I dropped by Ace Hotel to check out the Opening Ceremony store.  I went to the opening but didn't really get to browser properly.  I very nearly bought a packet of Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps (I can go through three Grab Bags at a time…) as a homesick gesture.  I resisted because I'm consuming fried/fatty/ginormous portions of food everywhere else and instead, turned my attention to some imported Tabio socks.

Hold up, I was just in Tabio Covent Garden the other day and didn't spot these plaid, floral and lacey cuties.  Oh dear… it's that old chestnut again.  The different products for European and Japanese markets rule that persists because apparently we have wildly different tastes (maybe that is actually the case but why not give us the choice to make that decision for ourselves eh?).  The rule that causes me to scratch my head whenever I have been in Japan when I see something from a known label that I've never knew existed – e.g. Comme des Garcons different stock out there.  Tabio especially hurts because at the very least they're an affordable treat that I give myself every now and again.  Just to prove a point, I forked out for these slightly overpriced socks (due to import), so that I might take them back to Tabio UK and stand there outside their offices like a mad woman bellowing "Whhhhy do you not have these here?"

Point proving aside, I of course will be wearing them with plenty of mid-calf skirts, loose shorts or have them peeking out from too-short trews.  The plaid pattern happens to be very painterly, that is ever so slightly Prada A/W 10-11-esque too.

IMG_0037

00410m 00340m

IMG_0044

I dug around the Tabio Japanese site a bit more and found a few more examples that probably/maybe/most likely won't be making it into the UK store…

Tabiojap copy

If it gets desperate, there is always the very long-winded way of using one of those Japanese e-store shipping services… but I prefer my yelling like a banshee outside the UK Tabio office instead… some people fight for climate change, I fight for cute socks… this is what seven years of severe girl's schooling prepped me for…

1. Jennifer says:

I love the second from last socks, they’re so pretty!
    I don’t really travel to enough big cities to see the difference in retail, but I sometimes notice that chocolate bars have all these cool flavours out in other countries appart from in UK shops :(

2. eva says:

have you checked out hansel from basel? they make very cute socks and stockings! http://hanselfrombasel.com

3. pearl says:

whenever I go to Japan, I would always buy those 3 for 1000 yen socks. So good. So durable.
    Muji socks aren’t half bad as well. Those 90 degrees one.. oh and Uniqlo..
    Hmm seems like Japanese brands do produce good socks.

4. Clare says:

Oh, they’re so cute! I love how they check looks painted on. I can’t believe they don’t stock them in the UK? Do they think we’re all really boring or something? I would wear those in a heartbeat!
    Clare x

5. Leonidas says:

socks sometimes can alter completely your outfit. it can be a disaster or it can be impeccable

6. Wow such amazing socks. I have never seen any like these before

7. Catherine says:

oh gawd who are you\
    i was just looking into socks!

8. Maggie says:

i always love cute socks to stand out from an outfit.

9. James says:

Curtain opacity is one of the pivotal issues upon which future generations shall judge us. Ignore it at your peril.

10. Winnie says:

Oh I adore cute socks and I am beginning to amass a collection of knee socks. I love the floral ones!

11. It seems a shame that there are different marketed products, simply imagining the few personnel mulling over and generalising the clothing taste of a whole nation seems quite wrong, but I guess we surmise its all about revenue.

12. Glamour says:

Love fun socks…. especially with ankle boots :)
    glamalert.com/glambassador
    xx

13. I have those same ferragamo shoes! I like your blog! It’s so fun!
    asquaredplusm.blogspot.com

14. Halina says:

I like the blue ones.

15. Dru says:

I have the same issues with clothing stores here (FCUK, Benetton etc- interesting stock can’t come to the third world, it seems)..
    Those Prada prints are more SS08 (one of my favourite collections ever) than AW10, to my eye. But Prada does do nice hosiery.

16. patni says:

I love the navy blue Ferragamos. I have a terrible obsession with Ferragamo, and have books on his life and such. I pick up old ferragamos when ever they appear in a thrift store or yard sale, and have some great ones. I have a pair of the ones you are wearing and never quite figure how to wear them. They are crocodile and i will wear them with a great pair of Vivienne Westwood brown and pink argyle socks i got for my last year birthday.

17. p says:

I do hope you stopped by Stumptown Coffee when you were at the Ace! Best espresso/latte/cappuccino in the city. by far.

18. Stine says:

Check out these sheer beauties on the japanese portion of their website: http://tabio.com/jp/detail/?cate=4001&hinban=01132 arrhh, want. And this weird in-between thing, I can’t figure out what it’s good for, just that I want it. http://tabio.com/jp/detail/?cate=10109&hinban=70944

19. Rena Tsan says:

Always something in mind…..i love the socks,i wish i had a pair……
    Love from Greece girl……….So inspiring……….

20. Jason says:

You are talking like a woman when you are saying that you do not have enough clothes. You should try smaller shops or maybe buy on internet.

Jason: I guess I am ‘wooooo-man….’ when it comes to certain thing…I’m more annoyed about Japanese/European stock differentiation…same thing applies to American/European stock differentiation I think…. different things for different markets etc…I think it’s interesting how certain brands decide what’s right for specific regions…

22. Ania says:

I agree with you definitely that it is not easy to get nice clothes in UK. I am Polish and used to buy clothes in Poland but i had to get used to buy them in UK.
    You just need to visit more shops:)
    Have a look at http://fashion2comment.blogspot.com/ to get more ideas about clothing.

23. Shay says:

yep, that’s why I do the majority of my shopping online and often have a things sent to US address and pick them up!! In Canada we have the dual problem of being perceived as boring dressers, therefore stock is sucky and/or conservative and also that many of our urban centres aren’t considered worth the time of various retailers. Sigh…