• Thanks to @mrstreetpeeper for tip off about designer sale at top of Times Square. Scored this Junya Watanabe jacket for £150!!! #bargain
  • Insta thank you to @andotherstories and @mrstreetpeeper for putting a bit of spring in my step
  • Retro Hong Kong caff interior at Matchbox Cafe
  • Spot the fake in Mong Kok malls. @christopherkanestudio HK style
  • Hello Birdy

I shouldn't really be making reference to my high street Chinese restuarant Chubby Chang's (yes, that's what it was called) seeing as it is now calling itself a less-exciting, more generic name of Oriental Gourmet.  That said, the catchy name has stuck and didn't I promise there would be some chubby changa thigh action on the loose come summer 2010?  I think I held off for fairly long considering it has been disturbingly warm in London for a month.  I also stuck to my word of wearing shorty short knicker type shorts with something sheer over it.  Sadly, the knitted shorts are nothing to write home about but the bit of sheerness going on over it gets my vintage find of the quarter award.  I can't say 'Month' because this is the only piece of vintage I've bought this month and I can't say 'Year' because of a vintage Dolce & Gabbana coat that just about trumps this dress so I'm using the very business orientated period term of 'quarter'.

I didn't fully investigate the vintage selection that was on offer in Berlin.  I knew it would be too ambitious and dangerous to start lifting the lid off it in just one day.  I therefore played it safe and didn't veer too far away from the Mitte area.  This is of course to be continued because as a famous German-speaking he-man once said …"I'll be back…"…

Untitled-1

DSC_1437

DSC_1436
DSC_1457

Leaving that cheesy note, I go onto this vintage dress by German designer Kostas Murkurdis (yay, first bit of Kostas Murkurdis for a bargainous price…) that I got from Cash, the 2nd hand consignment store that most Berliners and Berlin-frequenters will know and love and also the vintage counterpart to nextdoor boutique Apartment (which wasn't half as interesting as Cash, I thought…).  What I stupidly didn't realise that apart from the fact it's a lovely bit of embroidered sheerness, the piece is actually made so that it is split up into four sections with white strips of poppers running all the way around so that the dress can physically detach into four sections or be snapped partially to form slits as you wish.  I know, I know… why undo the poppers when you can just wear it as a hole but depending on the way the poppers are undone and where around the body the slits are placed, the shape of the dress can also do a bit of shifting too.  It's unlikely the middle section has any use on its own but the dress can certainly be split into a crop top and a skirt too that can be pulled down to make it more to my mid-calf liking…

Plus these are the kind of poppers that also make the same popping noise as the large bubble wrap (not the crappy small ones with lots of deflated bubbles…) and I'm happy for the poppers to be the main point of distraction in this hot hot heat…

DSC_1484
DSC_1488

DSC_1441

DSC_1489(Worn with floral 1460 Dr Marten boots, American Apparel vest, Forever 21 raspberry shorts and a beautiful beautiful leather backpack that I will let Steve tell you all about as I bought it for him as a pressie… of course I'm stealing it from time to time…)

P.S. I didn't have any cash on me at the time but Das Neue Schwarz, an online vintage store that also specialises in designer vintage has a physical pop-up store on Mulackstrasse 32, Berlin Mitte going on until the end of July… but looking at the site, it seems like everything that I wanted at the time is also online – Berlin vintage browsing to patch up the time until I go back there…

1. nicool says:

love the Docs. love love love them with the outfit! xo

2. Naomi says:

Wow sooo pretty!!! :D Like the way you done the first pic:D

3. eli says:

do they know changa means female monkey in spanish?
    I think this sheer piece is fantastic, it looks amazing on you Susie…why cant we find any Kostas Murkudis in the US! I need some of the rainbow flip flop sandals!

4. sarah says:

yes to the docs.
    yes to the first photo.
    yes to the dress.

5. Hannah says:

I think your thighs are wonderful, and not at all chubby. There – I said it.

6. Valentine says:

the dress is really cute !
    -the diary of a fashion stylist-

7. NYC Fashion says:

I love it, it looks good on you.

8. wow, this outfit is so you Susie. looks perfect on you. that floral detail on the dress is gorgeous and the matching floral shoes. love it. I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and i still wonder how can you come up with these really funky outfits every time.
    enjoy the summer
    elena

9. Terri says:

What a cool and interesting look.

10. Diana says:

this dress is awesome! i love how you posted it – very creative :)
    dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

11. Laveena says:

Hey nice! I wish I could dress like you, was petite and had good legs like you. :)

12. crayz dress, but it looks awesome on you!

13. lopi says:

I love it! Don’t you just get over-excited with the endless possibilities the poppers give you? I know I would… I ‘d never get out of the house, as I could never stop popping them in and out of place!

14. lyrebirdgully says:

Wow, that sheath fabric looks so interesting and retro, is that really felted or embroidered cotton MOSQUITO-NETTING? Just like my vintage embroidered kitchen flycovers, pre WW2?! I adore those old fabrics and embroideries.
    BTW, the grey, red and white colour combo is terrific.

15. carling says:

awesome dress! I love the sheer clothes
    Come follow my blog:
    xx
    karla

16. j says:

Very different but in a good way, I have fallen in love with your doc marten boots.

17. Dru says:

I’m with Hannah- you’re not chubby at all, and the sheer dress is amazing. How do you put it on, though? Just pull it straight over your head (with the associated terror of tearing it in the process) or does it have a zip or other fasteners in the back?

18. Kali says:

This dress is just amazing, I am loving the whole see through look and I think it also looks best with a few of the slits open. I also like the shoes, they are quite adorable :)
    great blog btw!
    TheLevelHeadedChild.blogspot.com

19. Totally love your outfit!
    One of your nicest looks!

20. Emmy says:

I want that dress-I love stuff like that that is randomly detatchable!

21. oh ,i do never think that this style is fantastic
    it is not a bit of fashion

22. christina says:

wow, aaawesome look!! and such great pics… love the outfit, the light, the measuring tape, the bruised knees… whoever took these pics should take more!
    btw, i work with daydream nation in hk, and just want to say how much we love your blog, its so delightful and inspiring. ga yao ga yao!!! u do hk proud!!

23. Babyjoj says:

These all are looking really very awesome it can be depends on so many things which is great to know about it.