• It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk
  • Swash land at @liger_hk Patterson St store #SwashLondon

Talk of setting up a 'gentlewoman's club' on my Twitter has spawned from my current life as a freelancer that occasionally goes doolally in her own home.  Put it down to having too much of my own company.  With no one to bounce things off of, you somehow get into a state of mind where at one part of the day you'll think it's totally normal to be creating t-shirt art out of smeared Marmite.  At a less extreme and yeasty end of the scale, you just suddenly start going all "artsy" and think that playing around with acrylics, a sponge and a spare silk slip is a fruitful outcome of the day, a form of compensation for all those hours you spent on a Wikipedia trail which started off at Lance Bass and ended up on Bruce Forsyth.

Still, whatever creative japes I get up to in my hours of procrastination, will never result in the free-fall anger-pent drawings that Natalie B Coleman has come up with for her S/S 11 collection 'Damaged Goods', which I first saw in Berlin's Projekt Galerie showroom during their fashion week.  The 'damaged' part comes to play in the girls that Coleman depicts looking a wee bit broken.  Transferred onto curved seam dresses, simple crop tops and vests though and they provide the perfect solid foundations for Coleman's  weakened beings and ghostly watercoloured femmes to live on quite happily.  Some of the titles of the drawings ensure everything is pretty transparent… no prizes for matching up the drawings to these…

Isn't it sad when a dancer gets fat…
Hairdryer Job
I took it like medicine
Scream
I cut it off to spite you

DSC_1237

Image-10
Image-21

DSC_1240

Image-25
Image-32

DSC_1241
DSC_1242

Image-82
Image-91

DSC_1244

DSC_1239

Along with the hand painted and printed whites, Coleman has also supplemented the collection with a lot of that sheer stuff.  I'm not going to read too deep here because I may have the wrong end of the stick but perhaps there's some meaning to the amount of exposure in these clothes, especially when paired with the drawings.  There's a 'Same Old' leotard that again, provides a more literal clue.  Is it wrong that female-based disgruntlement plays out into clothes that I'm calling cute?

Image-15
Image-77

Image-52
Image-70

1. These garments are very original. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a lovely day.
    -The Trendy Fashionista

2. tgoc says:

amazing photos! great inspiration, keep up the fabulous work on your blog xo
    ps. check out http://www.twogirlsonecloset.blogspot.com, we’re new and open to linking :)

3. Deb says:

Aw I very rarely think I would wear ALL of that but with this I most definatley would. Especially if I could have my hair like the models!

4. Carrie says:

omg i totally work from home, get stuck in my head looking at things, and come up with all kinds of crazy plans of things i can do/start!! total confession going on here!!

5. Tessa says:

Extraordinary feature. I’m definitely going to have to take a closer look at her work. The aesthetics alone are swoon-worthy: unkempt line work & voluminous sheers? Yes please!
    But I think your insights beyond that are onto something. I think I would definitely feel “transparent” if I wore any of these, and in combination they kind of give off a “I don’t give a shit” vibe at the same time that they are very graceful. Any vulnerability expressed here is very direct. Your interesting note of the blending of “female disgruntlement” and “cute” plays right into that, actually.
    On a rather unrelated note, Style Bubble’s whimsical font really reminds me of Natalie’s illustration linework, too! :P
    Thanks for the inspiration.

6. lust lust lusting these tops!!!! great post!

7. Michael Fish says:

What a superb range of garments. I’m currently recruiting for fashion jobs in New York, specifically design. I gotta say its an incredibly nice to see designs like these. Great post, will visit again!
    Michael, NYC

8. Valentine says:

Love the hair… not fan of the clothes
    -diary of a fashion stylist-

9. Jon says:

Awesome prints.

10. Hannah says:

Love these! They remind me of the countless blind contour drawings done in art school.

11. SEO says:

They are pieces of arts.

12. Andy - Shoes says:

I like the post with such a nice material which is much informative. Thank you for the information you provided.

13. Angie says:

These transparencies really match with the drawings…I love them! Check out our blog, we just made an art post, maybe you like it!
    xx

14. jacky says:

wow! i love it! keep it up!
    oh yeah, i have a blog. people, you can follow me if you want. :)

15. Leonidas says:

i love the prints. it’s like picasso made them or something

16. Jaymie says:

wow these are great.
    very talented.
    Jaymie

17. rose says:

Those prints are absolutely gorgeous… very inspiring. Thanks for posting! :) x

18. Great post, original creations!! I’ll take a look :)

19. moncler says:

nice picture all I like them which model wear.

20. the clothing sale on shop , they are made on time or later for customer choice. I like them so much.

21. aileen says:

..over!ang cute ng mga design…nice!favorite ko rin and mgng designer..

22. Um…like the style of your writing.*_*

23. Great post, original creations!! I’ll take a look :)

24. Michelle says:

I have a couple of Natalie’s pieces, so unique…her A/W 2011 collection rocks. http://www.style-tonic.com/boutiques/natalie-b-coleman.html

25. Hi Susie, that was my first collection you wrote about! Things have been going very well since, recently I have been invited to show during Milan Fashion Week a static show in Hothouse if you would like to view S/S13 it is called Sarah’s Suitcase and I have incorporated hand made Carrickmacross Lace Butterflies into the prints and hand drawn Illustrations of greyhounds. Also showing at Paris Fashion Week Paris Sur Mode.
    Love for you to have a look, if you want Lookbook in the meantime you can contact me at info@nataliebcoleman.com X