• #insideout oi oi @cosstores and @currentelliott - who made your clothes??? @fash_rev
  • Last @designerjumble outfit of the day - @saundersstudio jacket, Betty Jackson jacket, Antithesis shirt, @fromsomewhereuk top, Loewe skirt, Luella bag
  • More brilliant @designerjumble pieces @prada top and skirt, Antony Price parachute dress @rupertsanderson shoes
  • Made In Britain pieces by @jameslonglondon and @topshop Who made your clothes? #InsideOut @fash_rev
  • Amazing pieces from a 1,500 collection of Hannalore Smart, widow of Circus King Billy Smart Jr... Alaia,  Gaultier, Comme, Issey Miyake, Prada... All going into @designerjumble soon with some on auction!! Gaultier corset, vintage customised jeans, Prada shoes, CdG skirt - very Meadham Kirchhoff SS13!

This isn't some old post that I've dug up from 2006-7 when Marie Antoinette-themed posts were rife (actually could she in fact earn the title of most fashion-blogged-about historical figure?), coming in thick and fast due to the release of the film.  This is actually a good kind of deja vu because the theme has once again been worked into a juxtaposition of contemporary and the historical, with this video for LA-based Acid Girls.  Apologies if muso bloggers are looking at this thinking this is OLLLLLLD (What dates faster than fashion?  A hot MP3 track that does the rounds in a matter of hours…) but I couldn't resist after the costume designer of the video emailed me.  Bryan Hearns made ALL of these costumes in a week whilst he was still studying at the Fashion Institute of Design and Technology in Los Angeles which is a mind boggling feat in itself.  He has now moved to New York to work on his own work as well as more costumes for a Lady Gaga fan video.  Ah of course…the intrinsic and natural link between music video costume and the Gaga…

But back to the cool factor of 18th century French mantua dressess, cakes and pastel colours – it seems a bit simplistic to attribute this all to Sofia Coppola putting Bow Wow Wow and Versailles together into a pot yet it is undeniable that the film has left an indelible mark on a wider audience taking to 18th century rococo style with great enthusiasm.  As somebody who has been reading historical biographies since I learnt what biography meant (I think I'm a nosy parker who thinks it's better to nose into people who are dead…), of course Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette was high on my guilty reading list when I was at uni (guilty because tutors condemned this sort of 'frivolous' history writing).  It therefore fascinated me to no end when in 2006, when I started this whole blogging malarky, the outpourings of love for Marie Antoinette, or rather the stylised aesthetics of her time were so rampant and predictably nothing to do with a love for that period but rather, how it was so stylishly portrayed on screen.

I wonder if she had made a film about Eleanor of Aquitaine, would we be loving long velvet robes, side plaits and medieval feasts instead.  All without any taint of political and socio context of course – though if erasing politics and all that 'boring' stuff from Marie Antoinette's tale was a doddle, perhaps taking away all of Eleanor's political marriage trials is also a simple task.  Well, this is all theory anyway… it wasn't the 12th century that was picked for a Coppola treatment and it IS the late 18th century that has taken the prize for a historical period with the most amount of blogger-lovin'.  This isn't me complaining by the by.  I too always fall prey to the theme no matter what visual treatment it is given – my posting over twenty of these images from the set of the video is testament to that weakness.  May the theme continue to flourish in its various filtered forms… though should another historical period want to try and get in on all this fashion blogger action, might I suggest the time of Catherine de' Medici… yes, I'm a dumbass who has JUST recently seen La Reine Margo…oh, the cycle begins again…

**EDIT** Went back and mulled this over a bit more so the text has been expanded…  early morning posting is not advised.

4257609383_c002829b6c_o
4288752037_31a719b589_o
4288763367_429f9231c7_o
4289494956_873775d266_o
4288752485_e9db47b2c2_o
4288763077_16b39a9ae1_o
4289505728_a00ba286ef_o
(All photos by Ceaesar Sebastian from Flickr)

1. what a beautiful mess!!

2. Gon says:

I actually find this period of history quite amusing and fun! Hope that it never runs out of subject to filter to our blogs!
    Loved the video and the music, it’s so creative!
    xx,
    Dimogonda blog

3. Valentine says:

Lovely post… Makes me think about that movie with Kristen Dunst by Sophia Copola (Elisabeth)… Same pastel mood…
    -the diary of a belgian stylist-

4. KC says:

oh this is cute!!

5. Nikki says:

LOVE the girl with the coke can to her lips and the cigarette in her hand, 18th century upper class lady meets modern day street urchin?
    If you’ve got a spare minute I’d love to hear from you over at my blog <3
    Nikki

6. Sarah Betty says:

AMAZING. You’re right though..pretty much everyone adores la Marie Antoinette because of the Coppolla..I wonder if the same frenzy will start after her new film is released?
    Sarah Betty

7. margief says:

haha great!
    the outfits are stunning…i just hope they didnt get too ruined by the food all over them!
    margief
    x

8. janavi says:

You would probably love “Marie Anyoinette- What she Wore to the Revolution”. Fascinating analysis of what she wore & why- couldn’t put it down.
    BTW think your blog is fabulous!!!

9. Taylor says:

Oh, so Rococo! How pretty. I am still championing simple, un-ornate elegance, though, like these sick TenOverSix coats featured on R29. http://www.refinery29.com/peep-tenoversixs-perfect-fall-line.php

10. Debbie says:

I do love this Marie Antoinette look though. I never tire of the film.
    Oh and your comment about Eleanor of Aquitaine reminded me about how when I saw Robin Hood I fell a bit in love with her sons lover, Isabella of Angouleme, and all her medieval hair. Haha.

11. jem says:

I still love anything Marie Anoinette inspired, even if some think its a bit dated. I think part of the reason why I have so much love for this time period was because when Coppola’s movie came out it was the first thing that really got me interested in fashion, especially when Kirsten Dunst was on the cover of Vogue dressed as the last Queen of France.

12. [tlr] says:

Those photos are amazing!
    Is Alexandra Mathews by chance the model in this picture?
    Because it looks like her…
    [tlr]

13. I also love that era and all heavily inspired Marie Anoinette trends.
    But above all, I’m craving these cakes to death!!! :-)

14. Of course the cake is red velvet! That makes the food fight chic, right? If only they were cupcakes… This shoot is incredible!! So fun!

15. Maya says:

oh my god all those cupcakes and cake look soooo delicious. I’m REALLY hungry now…
    I still love Marie Antoinette, its my pick me up movie when I’m in a fashion slump.

16. F. J. Tanchuck says:

The models are cute, the photography is great, but Bravo to the Fashion Designer, Bryan Hearns, his work is extraordinarily creative!! Would love to see more from this Designer.

17. It’s a shame that very little empirical evidence is known on this question. I’ve been working on some experiments, but need to finish up those working papers with the results.

18. What fun! Thanks for showing pictures.