• Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk
  • Swash land at @liger_hk Patterson St store #SwashLondon
  • Patchwork chair by Brut Cake at @littlethingmag shop in OCT Loft Shenzhen
  • Close up of @_dion_lee_ skirt and #ToBeAdored shirt from @sister_tokyo
  • Chased after Brunie here up Hollywood Road. Just because.

In the thick of fashion week-ing, when that warpaint substance you call make-up was actually required to make me look semi-presentable to the world and to hide the green/flushed red pallor of a nasty flu, Rachel of blog Rabbit Write asked me to participate in a project she organised entitled 'No Make-Up Week'.  Fairly self-explanatory there, me thinks.  I didn't participate at the time on the first aforementioned account but coming back to it now, I'm now thinking perhaps there isn't too much point in my case.

By the way, I'm barring all FUN or more accurately, trend-related make-up here.  Orange lips (found the perfect shade at Sisley‚Ķyessssh!).  Black ones.  Glittery lashes.  Glow-in-the-dark eyelids.  A blue zodiac sign drawn around the eye with a crayon.  All of the stuff that gets me somewhat interested, only because there is an array of colour palettes to look at and I can go "Ooooh‚Ķlook at those COLOURS!".

What Rachel was actually referring to and exploring, was the stigma around make-up that supposedly women are expected to wear – the sort of thing that women are almost forced to put on.  I feel dread pouring on me as I type.  It's the boring stuff.  The stuff that takes a while to get right because of flesh shading, pigmentation, texture etc.  The stuff that makes women spend a fair buck on.  The stuff I HATE shopping for because it's a groan of a chore and make-up counter people confuse me with tech-jargon in their quest to try and ply more products onto me.

I'm revisiting the subject now because I owe Rachel one for not joining in the festivities at the time (though in my defence, I really would have made fashion week-goers want to step far FAR away if I DIDN'T war paint my face when it was err…bleeding and sniffling…) as well as taking the opportunity to ponder whether I COULD just do away with the stuff when in reality, I try and wear as little of it as possible.

DSC_3967

If I had it my way, I would personally do away with putting on any of that concealer, powder, foundation larks.  Reading Tavi's take on no-make-up, I almost want to burst into a Disney-esque ballad and sing about how NICE it would be to turn back ten years to the skin that I had that was pretty much flawless, to the times when there were reduced levels of stress and a lack of exposure to smoke and err‚Ķother elements.  Then I could get away without that three-minute routine in the mornings that consists of a smidge of concealer around the nose, chin and then under the eyes and a touch of powder on the nose.  Eyeliner is I guess, more erring towards the 'fun' make-up thing though in truth is more of an accent that is part of the waking-up process in the mornings, going naturally after putting my contacts in.  It all doesn't amount to much in my case but it of course does make something of a difference.

Or does it?  Can I just do away with it altogether.  I've never been clever enough to figure out the full-on war-paint that a lot of women do wear on a daily basis.  So why partake at all if I am just a lazy dabbler and it in fact takes three minutes out of the day?  Related to a fashion slant though, more tellingly, when I am sans-make-up, in my outfits I somehow rely on a more layered or protective mode of dressing, which is loosely related to the days when I'm travelling/flying and pile on layers of tees, jumpers and shorts over leggings etc in shades of grey, black and white.  Or when I'm running errands during the day which means going out without the face-paint, I then counter-act by dressing in this layered mode of comfort.  I've only noticed this odd pattern of mine when I thought about Rachel's analysis on the subject.  I'm wondering whether it's just directly two fingers up at looking remotely attractive to the opposite sex, which then of course delves into all kinds of murky waters when connecting abundance of layers directly to a man's waning interest in looking at what's under all of those clothes.

DSC_3979

Not that I of course don't go into a big blobby layered mess when I do have that three-minute routine of slap on.  Somehow though, without those make-up smudges, it seems that clothing layers are automatically piled on with a particular aesthetic leniance that Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller would LOVE to get her hands on (gosh, the way I offend in SO many ways in reference to her diatribes makes me ever-so-grateful for the other half‚Ķ).

I guess this is a big lo' long post about my almost-no-make-up antics which isn't all that exciting in the scheme of things but seemed to want to bounce off my chest onto the blog anyhow.  Instead then, let's get back on track and enjoy some interesting layers such as this Zambesi bomber jacket with patchwork leather sleeves and a matching grey wool bustier top from the winter 2010 collection, bunged over a A.L.C. sleeveless silk shirt with a leather Peter Pan collar.  The sheer opt-art trews completes the other half of my purchases from Paracelso.  Luxor Tavella told me I should wear them as a turban – I've just about figured out how to knot them up at the bottom so I'll upgrade to turban action later.  Then there are these J.W. Anderson S/S 11 boots that aren't here to stay but perfectly complete this particular layering carnage.

DSC_3949

Just noticed in these two pics that sunlight hides a ton of sins too…

DSC_3964

DSC_3997
(All the above worn with vintage costume shorts…)

1. Love the bomber jacket and the leather pants! Oh gosh!

2. renee says:

love the jacket..<3…loved reading the post as usual….and three minutes?.. .wow…

3. First, love the outfit, great jacket.
    The no make-up thing is a funny one. In a way I think it is definitely a feminist issue – we are expected to present this flawless face to the world, make our skin look breedingly ‘young’, but men aren’t required to do anything of the sort. But at the same time, it simply DOES look nicer, and if you make an effort with your clothes and hair then why not your face. So is it more like ironing a shirt before you put it on in the morning? That also takes 3 minutes. For me it is pretty related to what my business for the day is – work requires concealer and powder if nothing else, going out the full business, but general errands or staying in, nothing at all – which falls in line with how I dress, also.
    And you look lovely without make-up btw, CURSE YOU!!

4. Oh gawd, I mean no effort at all dressing for errands, not no clothes at all! Bwahahaha!

5. Tjaala says:

your jacket!! <333

6. Brigadeiro says:

LOVE your jacket! Ah, if I looked half as good as you do without makeup, I’d give it a go too…but my dark circles are scary!
    xx

7. amazing jacket!love your bangs too!great outfit

8. lulu says:

lucylurve.blogspot.com

9. teig says:

LOVE THE FEZ SO NATURAL!
    STYLE BLOGGER, OUR BLOGGER OF THE YEAR! http://lily.writeandburn.com/2010/10/18/the-bloggers-we-love-part-une/

10. melissa says:

cool look, you’re soooo cute! Great combo!

11. Sophia says:

This is SUCH an amazing outfit!!! Regarding your makeup rant, I wish I didn’t feel like I have to wear but I feel unpresentable/naked/uncomfortable without it. I don’t see what you mean with looking unpresentable, your skin is flawless and you already have black eyelashes!! I want that bomber with bustier so bad!! Do you know anywhere where I could buy it? The shoes are also so amazing and of course the sheer trousers top it off. Just amazing. <3
    skiepies.blogspot.com/

12. bonnie says:

Snap with putting concealer under my eyes and round my nose and to cover the occasional spots. I wouldn’t dare think about not wearing concealer or i’d look like a zombie with my dark eye circles.
    Do you wear any foundation? Cause your skin looks pretty much flawless in the photos, i know i have to wear tinted moisturiser to balance out the skin tone. I swear by the Inglot concealer!

Hey Bonnie: Nope, not a scrap of make-up is on in these particular photos – they’re just to illustrate my point about err…my general incompetence with make-up…
    I don’t normally use foundation or tinted moisteriser – never been able to figure out which ones are best for me….will look into Inglot though!

14. fabulous outfit…you have great style…follow you follow me too

15. Kit says:

Your skin is sooo flawless not a single freckle in sight!! Sadly I have lots under my eyes :S
    As a typical chinese with hardly any lashes…say 20 for each eyes, I was using this awesome lash growing serum ‘RAPID LASH’ from Boots – it works after 4 weeks and I had to stop it after 8 weeks cos it kept growing Haha!!

16. dreamy says:

amazing outfit. stunning face. seriously, i wish i could look half as good as you without make up on! i hate my multiple problem areas which make me feel attached to laborious war paint, if i could go without, i definitely would.

17. wera says:

i think make up should just add a twist to the beauty.
    but in most cases it becomes a mask.
    and in fact guys prefer to see us natural than hidden behind a tone of make up.
    i think the real problem is that women do not accept themselves as they r. make up is just one of the cases.
    we put those huge expectations on ourselves which we can not fulfill. not because we r not good enough but because those expectations are unreal.
    i am 27. never wore make up. i don’t even use mascara.
    by the way. we are all beautiful and worth adoration.
    but first let’s adore ourselves.
    maybe there shoud be a ” i love myself for who i am week” ?

18. I’m also pretty incompetent in the world of makeup…I rarely wear it (only for big events or for going out at night) but even then I often forgo it…I really have to be in the mood. For my recent wedding I actually had to go to MAC and get a tutorial! My wedding was in the country and I didn’t want to have to go in to the city the morning of to get my makeup done…somehow I blundered through! Thank god I could trust my photographers!
    I figure that if I avoid it as long a possible, when I get up there in years and feel I have certain things I’d like to disquise, I’ll have somewhere to go, in terms of wearing more makesup than I had previously. Twisted logic, I know.

19. Queen Michelle says:

Purlease!!! You absolutely perfect, youthful skin! You quiet clearly don’t even need makeup. Wait til your almost 40 and you’ll REALLY appreciate the power of concealer.

20. Niki says:

I love your outfit! The shoes are great!

21. I go without make up all the time, more to do with lazyness than anything else! Really like the leather and jersy togeather, fab!

22. edoardo says:

Love how you play with the shapes and the geometries!!!!

23. Claire says:

“as well as taking the opportunity to ponder whether I COULD just do away with the stuff when in reality, I try and wear as little of it as possible.”
    Super-interesting sentence. Like full make-up is the natural default you try to escape from out of implied personal laziness/irritation.

24. anna says:

I love your jacket!

25. Sarah says:

I am in love with this look!

26. ena says:

had a whole day off make-up today…excellent

27. Ella says:

I love the no makeup idea, I think it’s so smart! If you don’t feel comfortable without putting all that junk on your face, then you aren’t comfortable in your own skin, which is extremely important. You don’t need makeup anyways, you are stunning without it! xo

28. Street Style says:

I usually don’t wear makeup and it’s very freeing.

29. Jack J says:

the shoes <3
    ...
    everyone take a look on http://www.BNTMlive.com !!
    NOOOWWWW :D

30. Dru says:

I never wear makeup, and have never been able to figure out how not to look idiotic with it on. I had an epiphany about red lipstick close to three years ago, but it still feels like too much most days to have, well, stuff on my face.
    Incidentally, your skin is beautiful, with or without makeup. I always assumed you didn’t wear any of the foundation etc stuff, and can’t say I see any real difference :)

31. kim says:

I had a lot of acne as a teen, so I’ve been wearing concealer since I was 11 trying to reduce redness/spots/etc. I spent 20 minutes each morning trying to cover up stuff with concealer (as natural looking as possible) and never had the time for any ‘fun’ makeup. Never learned to use it. Never used foundation either, couldn’t figure out the right colour and they all looked like ‘masks’ on my face. When the acne started clearing up I was so happy I could use less and less makeup every month. Now I usually only wear mascara. I do think I’d look better with more makeup… just don’t know how, and my tryouts so far look weird on me (just like Dru here). But I dread what’ll happen in 10 years, when there will be dark circles & wrinkels & who knows what else going on on my face, and me without a clue on how to use anything except for concealer :s.

32. Bre says:

I happen to love makeup in all it’s forms everyday (just the basics) colorful, and dramatic, tranformative (Halloween and costume looks). I love it all, of course I’m a makeup artist so that could explain my fondness for the art of makeup. You have very pretty skin, I’m sure you could use a tinted moisturizer or pressed powder and you’re out the door. Alas, I am not as fortunate but I really don’t mind. :) Love this outfit, that jacket is fantastic!

33. Stylista says:

Ah Susie, your skin is flawless! :)
    I wear no makeup, but a bit of mascara or lip colour doesn’t hurt!
    Love your pants btw.

34. Make up..its not necessary for you.because you are very beautiful :) by the way, i love shoes:)

35. karen says:

I love the shoes, soo cute

36. She looks absolutely gorgeous. She looks great! Not too big and not too small but perfect. Beautiful young girl dead beautiful young girl the line between fit and skinny has narrowed! Love the colour.. I love this color.. I love your collection.. The hair stencils remind me of the ones my friends and I used to use when we were around 10 years old! A beautiful body. Smart looking. I think you will be a good modal.