• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

>> A reader asked if I was going to blog about the Royal College of Art In Progress show where students from fashion design (menswear and womenswear), textiles, silversmithing, metalwork and jewellery show exactly that… their work In Progress, showing varying stages of research and product.  I was.  Then I did a fatal Trash action on my computer which erased a chunk of ToBeBlogged images, including the lot of photos I took at the In Progress show.  I failed.  No, not a simple FAIL.  Just a very succinct and direct – I failed.

The one saving grace is that one particular student who was forthcoming enough to send me her work, was one of the ones who I had noted down when I was at the show.  Lily Kamper is studying textiles and here she presents her in progress work of experimenting with mixed media cityscapes that could be applied to garments or accessories in different ways.

"My work was inspired by the idea of creating architectural 'dream scapes' that you could wear on the body, through combining a variety of materials such as resin, screws, glass, wood and metal – hard materials combined with soft such as embroidery and fringing.  i was initially inspired by a place called 'Container City' in Trinity Buoy Wharf in London, taking the idea of repetition, symmetry, structure and a corrugated texture andcombining  it with contrasting qualities such as ice and smoke to create imagined miniature landscapes that represent future cities. The work displayed on the shelf are all individual pieces, so the idea is that different combinations can be put together to create different cities, where they can grow and evolve and also be destructed in the same way. "

I like how there are so many elements to take in within one bit of 'dream scape' and that there is this emphasis between soft and hard materials – perhaps the soft needs to be turned up a notch to visualise these being worked into clothes but I'm sensing Kamper already has tricks up her sleeve to make that progression.

It's worth bearing in mind that despite the fact that these are in progress pieces that will develop, evolve and expand into clothes that would integrate with these hard/soft cityscapes, it's impressive to see that they already look like finished products in themselves, as pieces of jewellery that you could wear straight away.  Still, the next exciting level of course is to apply these in perhaps more maneagable sizes to pieces of clothing or worked into a handbag or even a shoe and it will certainy be intriguing to see how Kamper makes the transition in her work from admirable objects to functional design.

IMG_3898

IMG_3904

IMG_3905

IMG_3921

IMG_3934

IMG_3937

1. snappy says:

Incredibly innovative. I’ll be curious to see the progression of it as well. Just when we think, “what else could be done?” Someone comes up with something interesting and thought provoking.
    xsnappy

2. wow.these are amazing.completly unique and beautiful objects!
    naomi,

3. Xander says:

such unique and innovative pieces!
    I made an illustration of you Susie you can view it on my blog:

4. Tiffany says:

these are incredible…sooo cool….sooo different…your blog is always sooo surprising…
    visit
    Love, L

5. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed seeing this post. I used to make little imaginary cities out of my stationary in school (I really was in a weird world of my own…) and I love the idea of bringing this forward into my adult life. I’m sure you remember the whole Stationary Village scene in The Mighty Boosh. Brilliant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gvZEB4s3-Y .

6. Jennifer says:

Looking at them – my mind automatically tries to recognise different parts of the pieces and relate them to the collection of artist tools that I have sitting on my desk.

7. Kate says:

Glad you have still managed to bring us some work from the exhibition. What an amazing collection, I completely agree that they look like finished items already! They remind me of computer boards. I would love to see what Lily creates for her finished project and hopefully some of the other students too x

8. Ah! I saw you at the private view but chickened out of coming over and saying hi! Let me know if you want to see images from the show as they’ve now been photographed by the college photographer and are available to see. Hope that helps.

9. WOWOWOW!!! Her collection is outta this world fascinating..I can’t stop looking at it..it looks like pieces from the inside of a computer, and pieces from boardgames, and make up and crayons, tool box chic and everything but the kitchen sink!!!I’m obbbsessed! It almost tribal too!!! It’s like a Matrix! Sorry your computer deleted and erased things…that’s soooo freakin’ craaazy!!! Hope everything is now workin’ for ya, Susie! My computer has a REAL attitude problem..it freezes every 10 mins!!haha I feel ya!!!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

10. Rai says:

Amazing work, the necklaces remind me of the composition of Clare Tough’s pieces of city scape knitwear (the bra ‚Äî you know which one i’m talking about) also mixing the hard and the soft materials… But such an individual vision here of course.

11. Alice says:

Wow! I can’t say i could imagine actually wearing one of those necklaces (they seem ma-hu-sive) but i could definitely just stare at them for hours on end. Well done her for getting you the pictures, good things come to those who ASK. :)

12. kelly says:

this work-in-progress exhibition is so cool!

13. I love finding out about the inspiration behind the designer’s creations. It’s my favourite part of being a fashion writer. I actually found the British designers at LFW to be the most thoughtful in their approach so far.

14. Nice blog. I guess it will have been give you best look for your home. Thanks for sharing.