>> I don't normally go in for the collector's covers and seeing as I don't subscribe to anything (even though I routinely buy things every month – I think I just like the physical act of PICKING up a magazine in a newsagent/bookstore – this sort of fiscal insanity needs to stop), I don't get to see the subscriber covers either.  However, on the shelf of Selfridges' WHSmiths, this flash of pink Jil Sander S/S 11 completely unobscured by coverline text and in full length view caught me off guard not least because the collectors'/subscriber covers of Elle aren't normally on the news stand but primarily, it was how pared back it was that struck me down.

Furthermore, if the Jil Sander S/S 11 collection is to be gracing covers over the next few months, then it seems to me that this Elle February cover sets a benchmark for representing the spirit of the collection in this uninterrupted fashion.  Still, I'm going to welcome the onslaught of voluminous brights matched with white t-shirts with open arms even if coverlines, text and adornment do get in the way.

The cover also reminded me that Jil Sander's website may be my best fighting chance of nabbing some of those rainbow-brite accessories from the collection so I've promptly registered and await patiently amongst the flock of Jil Sander S/S 11 worshippers, one that I'm surprisingly comfortable with being a part of.  In this instance this quote certainly applies…

"As to matters of dress, I would recommend one never to be first in the fashion nor the last out of it"
John Wesley

Img166

1. nrc says:

I love just love Ms Iman and Jill Sander so this cover is awesome :D

2. ediot says:

this cover is ABSOLUTE brilliant. i love it. Jil Sander is a genius!
    love how they kept the it so simple. that’s a winning take on magazines. i want that. framed.

3. callahan says:

What a stunning cover! I love the simplicity, I have many subscriptions, I love the whole getting a thick letter through the door, knowing full well that it will be one of my magazines but I still get that sense of excitement, maybe just becasue you get it that axtra day early than everyone else, or thats what they tell me! Really love the Jill Sander ss11 collection, the bright bold colours are doing aLOT for me! x
    htpp://peaceandloveand.blogspot.com/

4. Gemma says:

Gosh this is so gorgeous- I have an Elle subscription but mine had a photo of Cheryl Cole on the front :( I’m sure if I see this in a shop i’ll be tempted to buy it again just for the cover!
    There’s another stunning photo in February’s Vogue with Freja Beha Erichsen wearing the orange Jil Sander dress <3

5. Loving all of those colorful Jil Sander skirts!
    xoxo

6. youa says:

i subscribe to most fashion magazines but i really do miss picking up whatever i want on at the grocery store. pink can never go wrong in my eyes. :)

7. Hannah says:

this photo is genius and i love the styling and especially the glasses!
    x

8. ariana says:

Great fluor skirt!

9. Ria says:

Well Chanel Iman certainly has the legs to pull of that full length skirt, it’s a stunning cover for sure
    xoxo

10. WendyB says:

Beautiful cover enhanced by best fashion mag cover line evah!

11. jessie says:

the outfit is amazing and so is chanel. She is my favorite model.

12. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my issue. The ease of breaking the must nots of yesteryears is sublime.
    Ciao ciao Bella Donna

13. melissa says:

this cover is beaut.. those glasses.. wowzer!

14. Adia says:

I love pink! The skirt really strikes my eyes.

15. There are many shades of pink
    but this .. awesome!

16. Martina says:

I LOVE THAT COVER, so perfect <3

17. Cassie says:

It’s a gorgeous cover, but I’m completely confused why it’s out because it’s not the subscribers cover this month. Sadly, that’s got a Cheryl Cole deal going on.
    So no idea why they’ve bought this one out, but I’m not complaining. Two copies of the same magazine…nevermind.

18. edoardo says:

Thsi si one of hte most communciative covers of the last years. The Jil Sander show is the best show that Raf Simons made for the german brand and thsi cover, as you told, expresses perfectly the soul of the collection!

19. Duck says:

Wow I’m really impressed by that cover! Brave move for Elle but I definitely think it worked. I am also registering on the Jil Sander site – the floral print men’s t-shirt *will* be mine :)

20. Yes, that is pretty amazing that the cover is unadorned with teasers. I wonder why they decided to do it. To me the styling is boring and does not warrant an unadorned cover at all. It just looks like the editorial department didn’t finish the job! It’s lost on me. I suppose they deserve props for taking a risk but the outcome seems so safe I’m not sure.

Laura: It’s a collector’s edition so the cover isn’t the only cover out for this issue – the main cover that most people will see on newsstands is the one with Cheryl Cole on it (with plenty of coverlines/teasers all over it…).
    This one is not really meant for primary sale…. it’s one that only some newsagents and some subscribers will get so the editorial department have actually done their job.
    If you look at the Jil Sander collection, I think the cover really takes into account the spirit of the collection and its striking minimal/maximal contrasts… but of course you can also see it as ‘safe’ if you wish…

22. Hillary says:

As a pink lover, I have to say this is gorgeous!! You really have an eye for fashion! Please follow my blog http://sunshinefiercefashion.blogspot.com; I’d love to hear from you! :)

23. Why does the cover say Chanel, when the clothes are clearly Jil Sander? Seems stupid to me. But a nice photo.

Alexandra Suhner Isenberg: The coverline refers to Chanel Iman the model who is on this cover, not Chanel the label!

25. Haha, yes, I figured that out 5 minutes after my comment. Still a bit misleading though…

26. Fabi says:

Ohh man, I would certainly be drawn to the simplicity of this cover as well. Good luck with getting a hold of the Jil Sander accesories!!! I’m excited as if it were me! Haha!

27. prutha says:

its is stunning cover and yes it is surprising to have the Elle in the background soo faint… chanel looks stunning though…
    Would love it if you checked out my blog too. I promise it’s cute. any comments / suggestions would be great. I swear I will hold on to every word of yours as you are my blogger guru!!

28. Hanna says:

So very ELLE, I love this. What the hell, it’s Chanel =) The guys there are beyond praise – so simple, so cool recently. And the lovely Ms Iman looks adorable here.
    Susie, awaiting some pink inspiration in your coming outfits!

29. I love Chanel Iman in this cover. She looks heavenly gorgeous!

30. Carmen says:

I love this pictures .

31. Mason says:

Hi there! This blog post couldn’t be written much better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I am going to forward this information to him.
    Fairly certain he’s going to have a good read. I appreciate
    you for sharing!