Davidkoma1

Davidkoma2 Davidkoma3

>> About a month ago, I had to tape my fingers together and sit on them to stop myself from Tweeting about the David Koma for Topshop range which I wore for a shoot.  It was like the sort of 21st century 'Twit/Twerp' generation bug that I know I'm susceptible to on certain occasions.  Well, of course Vogue.co.uk have brought you the beautiful lookbook images first and foremost but I had to add my two metal tube adorned cents to say that the make on this collection is indeed beautiful.

Followers of Koma's work will of course know his eponymous graduate collection inspired by the metal sculptures of William Pye as seen above, but non-followers will probably recognise that distinctive metal tube detailing as seen on the likes of Cheryl Cole and Beyonce.  I for one am glad that it is precisely this metal tubing has been resurrected for his debut Topshop collection where as Koma puts it: "I felt they understood me as a designer and appreciated my need to make a high quality product without compromising the design aesthetic, quality of fabric or finishing. They helped make my vision a reality and I‚Äôm thrilled with the result.‚Äù

Thick wool, metal tubing and sculpted cuts don't come cheap and with a ¬£100-¬£350 price range, it is one of Topshop's more expensive collaborations but then again having seen a shonky ripped off version of Koma's metal tubing designs at another high street store (shall go unnamed…but FOR SHAME!), I'm hoping people buying into these pieces should be able to discern that there is a reason why the prices are what they are.  The tubing has of course been trimmed down to become embellishment edgings rather than the sole focus and in fact it's Koma's love of sensual halter shapes, cuts to reveal the back and cleavage, that shines through here.  Fortunately, it's all juxtaposed with the heavy wool fabric which adds further weight to the dresses, pulling them away from the wrong side of slutty.

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP MODEL SHOT 1 £350

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP HALTERNECK DRESS DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP SLEEVELESS DEEP V DRESS

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP MODEL SHOT 3 BELT £100 SKIRT £275 VESTS BY TOPSHOP

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP BACKLESS DRESS FRONT VIEW DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP BACKLESS DRESS BACK VIEW

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP BELT

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP MODEL SHOT 2 £350

It was this skirt that also comes in camel (I believe the belt does too) that I tried on and of course in a lighter shade, the effect is completely different.  It's hard to see here in the black but the tubing is interwoven with a silk tulle that adds a softened texture to the mix.

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP SKIRT

DAVID KOMA FOR TOPSHOP MODEL SHOT 5 CAMEL DRESS £300

The last DOH! note was that I perhaps should have attempted to steal the skirt from that shoot because the collection is hitting Topshop.com and the London Oxford Circus store on the 10th February when I'm in New York (likely to be fast asleep when UK morning arrives…) and there are only 30 of each piece being sold.  This could well call for some manouvering to ensure at the very least the belt and the skirt will be mine.  I well and truly hate myself for having designer collab anxiety attacks.  I tell myself that a few years of wisdom will rid this infliction.

1. Anna says:

Glad you love David so much!As L’inde Le Palais (a concept store in Bologna – Italy) we’ve just hosted him and his piece of art called 87-61-87, soon we’ll publish the video-interview done at the opening event last week, if you interested check our FB page in the next few days!

2. callahan says:

I always always miss out on the whole hype of these sorts of collaberations, being negative and just presuming I wont be able to get my hands on any of the peices, however it is now my mission to get my hands on one of these skirts, I love the tubing detail, so beautiful.
    Oh and I just saw you featured in the ‘Colour Splash’ feature in Vogue alongside Louise Gray. congratulations x

3. Kira Lilly says:

these pieces are incredible! i want one of the dresses so much! gonna start saving up…

4. Shilpi says:

omg that drop back black dress sftrend

5. Erin says:

Love them all, especially that backless black dress. It’s beautiful.
    Check out my new post on my favorite shoes for spring!
    xx,
    Erin

6. ladivasosa says:

Wow, I’m dying for the first dress! I can’t wait until this drops!

7. C says:

Those pieces are awesome! I love the photography too. Thanks for posting about them as I very much doubt I’d ever be able to afford anything, never mind GET to them before they sell out!
    PS. Is there ever a RIGHT side of slutty?? eek.
    x

8. joana gomes says:

I find the shapes of these dresses absolutely wonderful and the clean cuts are fascinating me

9. Beautiful!…but still no Topshop in Milan :(((((
    Diana

10. love these dresses !! beautiful !!
    xx from france

11. Liz says:

These dresses are gorgeous!

12. kendal croix says:

ooh i love these pieces.

13. Sabine says:

Oh my oh my oh my, can I face fighting over clothes? It’s very tempting.

14. moi says:

Complaints surrounding David’s work centre on the fact you have to be ‘super skinny and super strong’ to wear it. Also getting a bit bored of designers ‘collaborating’ (i.e. selling out) to fast fashion chains or launching ‘diffusion lines’ after 12 months. Consumers are most unlikely to have heard of Koma until now and will no doubt never purchase a piece from his mainline. It’s an out and out case of selling out on all counts, Topshop make a quick buck to provide their shareholders with bigger kicks, Koma gets some cheap press while severely damaging his core brand and then everyone goes back home. Perfect example of how to fuck up your business before it even begins. The market is chaos with all these diffusion lines flying around and customers are finding it difficult to forge any kind of brand fidelity or advocacy. You shell out 3 grand for a Koma dress, then find some renegade from topshop wearing an almost identical piece bought for a fraction of the price. Who’s going to be the most pissed off? Rant over.

15. moi says:

I’ll put it this way, I have a Lenny Pier Ramos blazer I love… if I found out Lenny boy had been tapped up by Topman, I’d be royally annoyed. More to the point, He’d tell Topman to go screw themselves.

16. safra says:

tis a beautiful collection and well worth the price. David Koma is well on his way.

17. michelle says:

beautiful love this collection

18. candy says:

i like your post, i think you will like this online store, have some nice and cool design, and the vintage designer brand and very unique stuff

19. Beutiful – and so cool on the same time !
    - Love it.

20. boyun so says:

kind of master piece…^^
    all the cuttings and lines are extremely sharp and beautiful!!!

21. Wow Susie, that is really exciting. David Koma was one of my favourite shows from the last London fashion week. But only 30 of each piece? Gah!

22. janavi says:

Susie- I think you are going to need snow boots for NY. We have some kind of rain/snow combo every 2 days & a big storm predicted for the 10th.
    Open toes could be a bit of a problem I think.

23. rosesareblue says:

love the minimalism!! Adore this post
    kisses
    xx

Moi: Well i hear Lenny has a cushy job at Louis Vuitton so he’s safe from Topman’s mitts‚Ķ.
    I think the trick is still to differentiate the produce you do for a diffusion line and what you do for your mainline whilst doing both at the same time to a) capture customers/fans who can’t buy into the mainline and b) keep your mainline customer (and in this case, the Russian partygirls) happy‚Ķ.
    I feel like the customer who can afford Koma’s pieces are discerning enough to see the difference hopefully because there is still a gulf between ¬£100 and ¬£2-3k.
    You actually pointed out the benefit of a diffusion line in that they tap into people who aren’t likely to buy the real thing so that there shouldn’t really be a crossover. The problem comes when there is which I think has vaguely happened in some collaborations…
    I also like what certain retailers are doing with graduates too providing them the means to produce before they can do so themselves…

25. moi says:

There are certainly pro’s… I mean you only have to look at design product, you have guys like Philippe Starck and Tokujin Yoshioka doing lines for Kartell. The trouble I have is that those two are renowned and revered designers, with massive fan bases and presently coveted by most discerning clientele. Koma is literally just on the scene with his line, with limited stockists you can count on one hand. The problem for me is when they do these lines on a whim, out the blue for highstreet retailers… that can only be harmful for the longevity of their brand. This is clearly a PR stunt with only 30 of each style available, but I’m sat scratching my head… it’s the one of the worst decisions I’ve seen in some time. I’m also surprised topshop are collaborating, the aesthetics don’t really tie in with what they conjure up and it wasn’t long ago Cheryl Cole was dismantled before millions of people and virtually humiliated for donning a Koma dress. Russian party girls? I thought they swear by Valli? :D Ye apparently New York is entering what I would call a Scottish summer…snowmageddon or something like that, fun.

26. moi says:

By the way, I know it’s a case of ‘you scratch our back, we’ll scratch yours’… but still, he doesn’t need topshop.

27. Clairey says:

So exciting! Bringing Koma to the lesser money-flushed fashion minions, too kind David. Too kind. http://bloggamonsta.blogspot.com/

28. Great collection!
    xo thefashionguitar

29. Danielene Mae says:

Super great. Just as great as the Hermes scarf ring, twilly scarf ring, and other scarf rings! The best collection ever. Bravo!!!!

30. love this collection !! gorgeous

31. emma says:

I have reda several different laucnh dates – 10th, 16th, 18th Feb. Does anyone know the actual launch date?
    em x

32. Madde says:

Give me an LBD with metal tubing and sculpted cuts any day. These dresses are BOMB.

33. That’s Cool!!!!!!
    I love this beautiful post. Here I see the rocking style.