>> A commenter said on the previous post with sublime authority: "Get a reality check darling…all these clothes and the world is in a financial mess…".  I thought it best to politely point out that despite the fact that I am more than the sum of what's on this blog.  I've barely posted once a day (that will be rectified too) and apparently that little nugget of a post is meant to represent everything and anything that runs through my head.  What said commentor doesn't know is that the rest of my time, outside of gorging on clothes and fashion, my head is an anxious wreck – anxious to catch up on episodes of Downton Abbey, anxious that my flat hasn't been burgled, anxious that my parents are still alive, anxious that Foxy Knoxy may have gotten off scot free, anxious that the Western economy will collapse and we'll be bartered to the Chinese as slaves to pay off our debts, anxious that I'll have to be cremated when I die because there isn't enough land space on Earth, anxious that this will all collapse onto itself and disappear in a nano second.  See, a head full of worries, DARLING!

Before I address all of these anxieties though, here's a thought.  Hows about we find something positive in amongst this mess.  An escape route that the fashion world are so good at perpetuating even if it is all fantasy and fluff.  In this instance, from a country beleaguered with financial crisis, comes a product that contributes in its own little way to projecting an image that goes beyond deficit figures, protests and Euro scape-goating.  Ancient Greek Sandals are exactly what they say on the tin.  I'm a fan of plain speaking and this label doesn't get any plainer.  I know we've just abruptly left sandal weather in much of Europe (from blistered mosquito bites to cold wind-rashed cheeks in two days is extreme stuff in September), but at this very acute moment in Greece's current profile, I found their presence in a showroom quite significant.

Christina Martini and Nicolas Minglou were born and raised in Greece and Martini went on to work for Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton as shoe designers.  Minoglu came from a family of well-established footwear and together they returned to their home country to ignite their passion for ancient Greece and thus created a line of shoes inspired by Greek Gods and myths, pottery and sculpture – all the romance of Greece that is instilled from childhood lessons (remember those super fun lessons of learning about each and every Greek God on Mount Olympus – I related most to Artemis).  Furthermore these sandals are crafted in Greece, maintaining and improving upon traditional methods and local craftsmen and fusing them with designs that whilst are reverent of history, still feel relevant as a quality product due to the use of chemical-free, natural tan leather that is meant to age with time and wear.  Just as brands like Swedish Hasbeens play on a country's heritage whilst moving with the times, you feel Ancient Greek Sandals can do the same.  Clearly, Greek lovin' resonated with retailers too as I've been told Barney's, Dover Street Market and colette have picked them up for next season.  It won't save the Euro but upturned winged sandals are better than negative % signs.

IMG_6788

IMG_6789

IMG_6790

IMG_6792

IMG_6793

IMG_6794

IMG_6796

IMG_6797

1. love the white ones and the ones with the print on them !!

2. rouli says:

u re so right dear…
    the sandals are cute…
    i live in greece and the situation is really bad …but if there s sth that can make us alittle happier…..that s good:)
    love ur blog!it s a huge inspiration!
    rouli:)

3. Karen says:

Haha, indeed the anxieties that we all have! Thanks for sharing with us these lovely photos of these Grecian inspired sandals. I love that it has authenticity due to the fact they were hand crafted in Greece.
    Classic sandals that never ever really go out of style!
    love, dropsofvelvet

4. ZhenyaH says:

I wish it was warm in Minneapolis year round, so I could wear those. But on the other hand, I love love love my boots!

5. I quite like the first pair! And i saw that comment in your last post, it made me laugh. :S
    P.s loved the video, susie! You r too sweet

6. Elyse says:

Argh, I can’t believe commenters take the time to write such negativity when your writing is such a great escape from that said depressing world reality. Thank you for providing a bit of sunshine into my mundane and at times uninspiring daily life.

7. Eline says:

I’ve always seen fashion and style as a sort of escapism, but that is not to say it is an escapism free from every worry on the world, just an escapism in which you personally indulge and breefly step into your own dream world. And I wouldn’t be surprised either that in worser economies colections would pop up indulging in a more fantastic (as in fantasy) world. So anyway, why not unapologetically indulge on that in your blog?

8. Maria says:

Sometimes I get so fed up with having to justify my interest in clothes to others who don’t get it. Planning my daily outfit gets me out of bed in the morning and off to work with a spring in my step. I love noticing what people are wearing and checking in on my blogs is an extension of that. People confuse an interest in fashion with materialism: you don’t have to spend a lot in order to dress in an interesting and creative way – I still wear clothing bought over 20 years ago mixed in with new stuff. Human beings throughout time and across different cultures have chosen to express themselves using the clothes they wear, if you don’t want to do the same, fine, but at the same time stop judging others who do and perhaps go off and read something else. I enjoy your style, Susie – it inspires me.

9. stephanie.vendryes@ens.fr says:

you were right to speak of ancient greek sandals in response to this sad commenter. Because maybe this same guy goes to museums to see old egyptian jewelry or is fascinated with middle age clothings. It only depends on the delayed point of view, but all those things could be seen as pieces of art, fascinating shapes, always evolving, that prove the hungry imagination of men obsessed by the search of beauty. Why the ephemere beauty of an elegant woman would be less worthy than the one of a dead old statue? That’s nearly the idea of Charles Baudelaire : beauty can never be defined, but only caught in a glimpse, in a instant fashion, and fashion is this obsession to find beauty which is already fleeing in another fashion.
    (i don’t speak fluent english that’s why i may not be understood! h√©h√©)
    thank you for your blog i read every morning to catch a good mood!

10. Ophelia says:

I think the sandals are great!
    I especially love the smaller wooden feet in the sandals.

11. WL says:

Surely with the economy the way it is, it makes even more sense to promote an industry which employs so many people? :)
    I’m loving the ones with the gold leather panel!

12. Duck says:

The other poster seriously needs to get a reality check… Doesn’t he/she realise that buying clothes is injecting money into the economy and supporting other people’s jobs?

13. Akif says:

Wow, the pictures are gorgeous and so perfect.Thanks

14. Raquel T.G. says:

I do love everything from ancient Greece.. both dresses and sandals! the second ones are to dir for!!
    xx

15. lia says:

good answer !

16. Anet says:

Oh, you are so happy $ sunshine person.))

17. I am sure it probably was to do with jealousy rather than the commenters interest in the economy. Why else would they bother coming on a ‘fashion’ blog, to insult the blogger about talking about ‘fashion’ haha.

18. AlyssaS says:

The final red sandal blew me away – followed closely by the lattice ones with metallic toe straps. The wooden foot mannequins are a little strange, but at least they give you a good idea of how they’ll look on.

19. Good on you! If we didn’t have fashion to keep us peaceful (even if we’re jumping up and down with excitement) and happy we would all fall into depression just thinking about the state of our world!
    Great posting keep it up x

20. Emily says:

You make great points- I hate it when people decide you shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy the “small” things when there are problems in the world. What’s the point of living, then? I’m sure that righteous preacher never vegges out and watches stupid TV or reads goofy books..
    Otherwise, those are great sandals! I also really like the wooden feet.

21. kallirroi says:

how beautiful are they! i am damn poor right now but that doesn’t change my desire for beauty , interesting outfits and all . even if the world is falling apart.. life goes on somehow. keep it up girl :)

22. Lydia says:

Why is my favorite part about this post sort of the WOODEN FEET inside the shoes!!!!

23. Dorothy says:

Love that you watch Downton Abbey! That show has eaten my life.

24. Aja says:

Totally tasteful response. I want Downton Abbey back right now. We’ll have to wait a bit here in the US I think . . .

25. Arietta says:

I’m Greek, but I also happen to love fashion. Should I stop reading or writing about it because we are in a terrible mess?! I certainly am worried like hell about what the near future will bring for us, but I can’t keep on thinking about it day and night, because I’ll jump off the window or something! I need some distraction and what better way than to read blogs like yours! :)

26. They are all so lovely, I’ll take a pair each!

27. Elise says:

Yes, the world is in a scary mess and I am afraid of most of things you mentioned as causing you anxiety…yet I love your site!!! Fashion is a passion-lol!-of mine and your site is, for me, both an awesome respite and a means to keep track of trends.<3

28. Arte says:

thank you Susie! What a find, these sandals are amazing. There the real thing!!! Just got a couple of pairs on http://www.net-a-porter.com/Shop/Designers/Ancient_Greek_Sandals_! Cannot wait to receive them.

29. Kate says:

OMG! these sandals are amazing! I bought the amphitrite ones from net-a-porter!! I love them! can’t wait to get them!!!
    which ones did you get Arte???

30. arte says:

Hello Kate, I got the Medea gold and Amphitriti too! Love them…have you received yours yet?