• It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk
  • Swash land at @liger_hk Patterson St store #SwashLondon

If I had left J.W. Anderson's collection on just the 'loaker' note, it would be doing him a great injustice, even if this strange hybrid shoe that's part leather loafer, part 90s air max trainer in an unsettling combination of pale pink, burgandy/black and white, does sort of sum up the juxtaposing elements that saw his S/S 12 womenswear collection soar to new heights.  When I say SOAR, I mean really the dude has just sky rocketed.  The list of press and stockists has grown exponentially to a dizzying level that makes it hard to believe that this is officially only his third 'proper' womenswear collection.  There is no getting away from the mahussive chorus that collectively fawns over J.W. Anderson, which by definition should make me want to join it.  Except with the strangely high quota of just over ten pieces of J.W. Anderson (both old and new) in my wardrobe, there's no denying that I can starkly look at his collections and go "Let's have me some of that…"

IMG_0133

Craft Goes Machine says J.W. Anderson for S/S 12 and seemed to me a summation of how many of today's designers are maintaining everything that is good and true about craft, and using that to drive their work forward.  It's not about upholding tradition for the pure sake of it but about exploiting what labourious craftsmanship can offer in the 21st century.  If you look through his YouTube videos, you can find yourself eight acts of image/footage juxtaposition where machinery goes up against something nostalgic or naturalistic.  Or rather rapid movement controlled by a circuit board goes up against something less predictable.  These give you a good image bank foundation to then tackle his S/S 12 collection that once again slickens and tightens up the J.W. Anderson aesthetic from last season.  If J.W. Anderson started off his womenswear with an emotive narrative about a lost girl who was trying to find her way in the world, then along the way, she has toughened up a bit, revelling in her awkwardness and wearing it with pride – which is something that is ensconced into these clothes.  Cue leather bikers and waistcoats stitched with white striped men's shirting, its boring City banker connotations shed once riveted and laced-up.  Most designers would have a tough time taking banker shirts and making them look half-decent but J.W. Anderson has done it with deft skill…

IMG_0139

IMG_0042

IMG_6775

IMG_0131

IMG_6777

IMG_0137

The machine goes punching ahead to laser-cut square mesh that collages its way into panels on dresses with leather pleated skirts, over the knitted 'cardigan' dresses and onto some wrapover dresses with panels of Swarovski-crystals in a calculated way.  This contrast of naturalistic knit, overly ornate crystal and technical mesh is made palatable by the suggestion of prim high necks trimmed with white, school girl skirts and pinafore fronts, which also carry over from last season's latex collars and navy kilts.

IMG_0128

IMG_6766

IMG_0051

IMG_0058

IMG_0049

IMG_0147

IMG_0122

IMG_0061

J.W. Anderson doesn't believe in honing into one thing and repetitively churning it out in photocopy mode.  The collection seems to purposely jerk about a bit so that you didn't really know what new texture you'd be introduced to as each model exited and a new one emerged.  This straw/raffia detailing on collars and sleeves were a welcome earthy element to the electric blue mesh and petroleum blue satin…

IMG_6776

IMG_0127

IMG_6765

… as was this collaged crochet piece which zig-zagged its way across the body…

IMG_0154

The tribalistic hints are only dropped in subtle quantities like this calico printed top with white fringing…

IMG_6781

Then J.W. Anderson sends out a real statement of intent in the form of this striped pyjama suit with a gigantic logo embroidered at the side.  Again it's another carry-over staple from last season's paisley suit but with the logo says very loud and clear of that "it's so wrong it's right" sentiment that runs through J.W. Anderson's work.

IMG_0085

J.W. Anderson may well have OD'd on paisley last season but when he enlarged and dissected it as seen in the video above and took it to the historic Adamley silk printing factory in Macclesfield (where they have been printing since 1700) to emphasise Anderson's commitment to having things Made in UK (where possible), it becomes a completely different beast to the traditional paisleys of last season.  When paired with backpack straps that run down the front of a shirt, there's no getting away from how brilliantly J.W. Anderson articulates nostalgia and modernity – pulling on a backpack over a school shirt becomes souped up for 2012, for the girl who has grown up but still remembers and reminisces.

IMG_0064

IMG_6771

IMG_0108

IMG_0069

In the final flourish of texture exploration, J.W. Anderson takes a chainmail bag and makes up the pattern into nappa leather so that the armour becomes more tactile and light as they swing about on the front of high-neck crop tops and the skirtigans that are another evolution of the skirt tied around the waist device that he cemented last season.  This time round, the knit is finer so the sleeves swing about with a bit more purpose…

IMG_0076

IMG_0086

IMG_6782

IMG_0089

IMG_0100

IMG_0093

The fantastically tangible part of this collection though is J.W. Anderson's partnership with ALDO which will result in these houndstooth tweed and striped cotton stilettos going into ALDO stores sometime in early 2012.

IMG_6784

IMG_0151

IMG_0032

The hybrid "loaker shoe", which I got so excited about a few months ago sadly won't be making it into final production stages but hopefully J.W. Anderson will take these odd shoe moments (think of my Oxfords that also come with a mohair beard!) and store them all up for when he properly launches his shoe line

IMG_0110

IMG_0035

In other accessories collab, this season J.W. Anderson worked with Porter on these rucksacks that I'm sure will become just as cultishly loved by both men and women as his A/W 10 caravan boots, which apparently had an unfulfillable waiting list of 1,000 people…  That's a sure sign of J.W. Anderson's future might that means my tally of ten J.W. items in my wardrobe will probably grow tenfold over the next few years…

IMG_6759

1. Linz & Holl says:

Love getting to see behind the scenes pics…they are the best. J.W. Anderson has some really great looks. Thanks for posting this!
    The Girls @

2. Linz & Holl says:

The Girls @

3. Linz & Holl says:

The Girls @

4. sag says:

It is good show and collections.Thanks

5. Lea says:

genial pics!!! they are better than the clothes i think. they are just beautiful!
    i think, the shoes and bags (and some dresses too) are wonderful, but i don’t like fashion with lacing…

6. Joy says:

This collections looks absolutely amazing!

7. Siddanth says:

Amazing site to visit for girls.It has a great collection of leather pleated skirts, over the knitted ‘cardigan’ dresses.Amazing pics provided by the desingner who is very innovative at her thoughts.Thanks for the work.

8. I can’t find the words to express how much I like this collection. It’s amazing….more than amazing. It’s genius. I love the hues, fabrics, and intricate designs.

9. Brandon says:

Susie I love you for this post!!! I knew with JW (who as you know I am a huuuuge fan of) I would never get the full picture until you did your always detailed, details post. Thanks Susie!

10. James G says:

J.W Anderson’s designs to me have a similarity to Nicolas Ghesquiere’s aesthetic.

Ah I was wondering when the Balenciaga comparison would pop up… you’re not the first to point it out but i sort of think that’s a lazy comparison. Yes, both Ghesquiere and Anderson mish mash technical fabrics and contrast the traditional and the modern but in completely different ways. Ghesquiere’s ideas are often rooted in Cristobal Balenciaga, something that Anderson isn’t drawing from at all…
    I think what it is, is that there really are not many designers that think of texture like Ghesquiere does so when we hap upon something that is vaguely similar, it’s quite easy to draw that comparison….

12. What an interesting post… some fantastic clothing designs! Thank you for sharing once again, Susie. Kiss from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

13. Domi says:

Beautiful pictures!

14. mikky says:

Oooo I can`t wait for the Aldo collaboration! These shoes are amazing. I think I need both pairs and can`t wait to see what else they come up with.
    And I love those blue and white striped pants, they are perfection.
    Mikky

15. WOWOWOWOWOWO–I LOVVVVVE all of these pics….the woven leather lacing collection is off the charts…everything is PHENOMINAL!!! What a post! Just knocked my socks off! INCREDIBLE Susie! U are the BESSST!!! Happy almost December!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

16. I enjoyed looking at all of the fashion show pics. However, how to designers actually get paid for this crap? Would YOU wear some of those things in public? I don’t think so! Fashion is more of an artform now, they don’t think of practicality.

17. Amy says:

Such an interesting post, some interesting comments here too. I really love the amount of detail you put into your posts, your fashion know-how is incredible…you were definitely made for the fashion world! Best, Amy x

18. Mr SLEEK says:

I find the mix and match the clothes very modern. I am well-defined volumes and the game reminds me Mondrian grid
    _Mr SLEEK_

19. YV says:

yr blog is pretty awesome!

20. Thea says:

Interesting post and nice pics. Really like the blog.
    for real BOOKS LOVERS… :)

21. Mary says:

Great post! You’re such an inspiration

22. Serdane says:

This collection seems to be great ! I love this match of differents coloursn the leather which is used in a lot of diffrent way as the fact it was used as a sewing thread… love that

23. Luke says:

The collection is great, the pics are fantastic, the posts get better and better

24. Yuka says:

like no.3 & 13 & 21 :)
    and the details are amazing!

25. Fashionistas says:

I love some of the printed over all but I think I love their shoes.

26. omgfantastic says:

who is the little woman in the white dress?
    just wondering…

It’s the lovely Lucy Norris who’s a freelance writer and edits this website here:

28. omgfantastic says:

thanks susie…

29. great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

30. luxzone says:

i love the first and the last outfits the best, but the other ones are great too!