• Fashion Revolution Day begins @fash_rev Will be asking throughout the day - who made your clothes?  Hope everyone joins in! #InsideOut (pic via @gettyfashion)
  • It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk

>> Two things lie in excess in my house.  Bags and bags of brussel sprouts and boxes and boxes of silk scarves.  Nigel Slater has given me one idea to solve the problem of the sprouts overload.  A silk scarf bomb has suddenly exploded upon me when my friend Eliza of Style Salvage went poking around the house and found random scarves stuffed into the nooks and crannies of shelves.  My designated scarf box from Muji can no longer shelter anymore silk fancies.

A trip to the books department in the Japan Centre to look for hair inspiration in hideously expensive beauty magazines (my hair may be turning up a different colour next year…) resulted in a copy of the latest So-En coming home with me.  I can't afford it all the time but once in a while, a singular copy normally yields a lot of inspiration for future blog posts.  In this issue, the designer Michiko Nakayama of the label Muveil gave up two DIY ideas, one of which is a simple scarf tunic that I knocked up in less than half an hour whilst watching Saturday Kitchen this morning.  I wish I could expand a little bit more on Muveil.  I spotted the label at a United Arrows store in Tokyo where they had a trunk show of their S/S 12 skirt.  Ignore the cloyingly cutesy French gibberish on the website as there are some cute pieces which is part-vintage inspired, part upcycling and very 'Lady Lady' in the best of ways.  There was a particularly fetching embroidered lobster and starfish skirt that I desperately wanted only to find out they were only taking pre-orders for S/S 12 pieces at the time.  I might revisit Muveil and that bit of lobster loveliness (it hits the upcoming Schiaparelli exhibition and S/S 12's underwater theme all in one, no?) later when I go back to Tokyo in May.

Img299

Img298

For now though, two scarves – one Benah scarf which came as a Christmas gift and an old David David scarf from last year's gift – came together fairly easily.  I'm not entirely sure I followed the instructions exactly seeing as I don't read Japanese but as per when I communicate with Japanese people in real life, hand gestures, diagrams and drawings go a long long way…

IMG_0049

IMG_0069

IMG_0061

IMG_0032

IMG_0066
(Worn with David David jumper and Irregular Choice x Cobrasnake wedges - the shoes are not a weird pledge of allegiance to the USA by the way…)

1. Nora says:

Another inspiring post. I love how the scarves were styled, I need to find a way to wear scarves more! You are the queen of print-clashing and gosh I am so jealous of how fabulous you always look!
    Nora

2. Jessie says:

Very nice idea with the scarves,I’ll have to try that!

3. Ría says:

I love all the things you can do with a scarfs. You look amazing!
    Happy New Year.

4. Krys says:

I love how the scarf dress turned out! Diagrams and drawings are really so helpful. Thanks for sharing and have a good start to 2012!

5. Erin W. says:

Amazing idea!! I have a basket overflowing with scarves myself…time to go poke around and see what color combos work ;) (yours is fab! Love the print mix, as always). I guess this would work as a top as well, hmm? Most of my scarves are more top-sized, but maybe would look wicked with the right bottoms…
    Happy new year! xE.

6. Lydia says:

Brilliant!!! This is so brilliant.

7. Olive says:

Lovely color mixed!
    It’s a great diy idea for the early 2012 :)

8. Terri says:

It’s a really clever idea and I think yours turned out beautifully. How big do the beginning scarves need to be?

9. Tanya says:

Gorgeous outfit! It’s so colourful and amazing. And I love the shoes very much.

10. Chesney says:

You look absolutely stunning. This turned out really great, and so inspirational!

11. Adele pSYCH says:

Wow love your blog! Such a sweet outfit! :)

Ah apologies for not specifying – if you enlarge the magazine scan you can see that you need two 90x90cm scarves to make it. I used slightly larger ones – 110x110cm I think…

13. The Fräulein says:

happy new year to fashion and to this original fashionblog!besos Fräulein

14. Daniela says:

LOVED .* It was an excellent idea, with an even better result .*

15. nuria says:

unos colores excepcionales y muy frescos enhorabuena por tu originalidad

16. choux choux says:

That is genius. Now I want to buy scarves to do exactly that.

17. Genius!!
    and you are a super cute girl ;)

18. LosAngeles says:

Agreed! If you love international luxury and fashion, you absolutely must check this: http://blog.boxersadventures.com
    Addicting!

19. It’s good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.

20. photo mugs says:

Wow…I am bowled by your level of knowledge. I am so impressed. I think you have got a deep insight into this topic. Could not think on those lines ever…I think you are gifted…keep going. Thumbs up!

21. This is such a terrific and useful topic that you’re shared with. I’m satisfied by the way you brought out ideas. Thanks for sharing.

22. Such a lovely dress and such epic pictures! Simply beautiful

23. A really glamorous use of the scarves. I love the colours! I love the Furoshiki – Japanese gift wrapping with cloth but this is an even better idea!