• Thanks to @mrstreetpeeper for tip off about designer sale at top of Times Square. Scored this Junya Watanabe jacket for £150!!! #bargain
  • Insta thank you to @andotherstories and @mrstreetpeeper for putting a bit of spring in my step
  • Retro Hong Kong caff interior at Matchbox Cafe
  • Spot the fake in Mong Kok malls. @christopherkanestudio HK style
  • Hello Birdy

Bouchra Jarrar had me at her beautiful floral silk and knit sweaters when I went to go see her new ready to wear collection yesterday.  Well in actual fact, this new ready to wear offering is really a simpler diffusion of her higher end ready to wear line which was presented during the S/S12 haute couture week back in January.  The move to have more younger labels in that haute couture schedule does mean that the lines are blurred somewhat between what is ready to wear and what is haute couture in the strictest sense.  Therefore it was useful to go into the showroom this week and break down Jarrar's different strands of offerings that her steadily fledgling brand now produces.

Jarrar first made her mark as a long serving studio manager at Balenciaga under Nicolas Ghesquiere from 1996-2006 and from that experience, she seems to have gleaned an exacting precision combined with her own feminine sensibility for making clothes-that-work-for-women (put Stella and Phoebe in the same category).  This doesn't make the clothes sound very exciting and I know people may tire of my saying "You have to see all of this up close!" but I'm unapologetically at that stage when appreciation of non-tricksy clothes is growing by the day.  Therefore delving into Jarrar's trio of lines was something of a refreshing respite.

The first is her aforementioned simpler ready to wear line which comprises of lovely day dresses, knits and jackets, that borrow motifs and colours from the more directional ready to wear line and retains an immaculate level of finishing.  I couldn't help but admire how good some of the dresses looked on the PRs and on the fit models and of course, it goes witout saying that the sweet knit and silk sweaters are high up on my swoon list.

Look#11

IMG_4419

IMG_4421

Look#1

Look#5 Look#10

IMG_4424

IMG_4410 IMG_4431

Although her mainline collection was presented during the S/S12 haute couture week, this collection is in fact an autumn winter collection, which funnily enough preempts the covered up necks and high collars that we've been seeing this whole fashion month.  I loved all the nifty neckwear solutions that Jarrar proposed - furry collars with leather buckles, quilted foldover scarves featuring that delicate floral silk, college stripe ribbed neck wraps - all of which can be layered up and doubled up when necessary for extra protection.  It taps into that feeling of being eager to conceal your face and muffle your ears when it gets really cold.  Frankly, disappearing into neck scarves never looked so good.

IMG_4393

IMG_4395

IMG_4435

IMG_4403

IMG_4441 IMG_4434

IMG_4404

IMG_4435

IMG_4437

Then finally there's Jarrar's proper haute couture pieces which are only ostentatious by neccessity.  This beaded top (note the gold buttons with Bouchra Jarrar's name embossed into them) for instance was paired with a pair of tailored grey wool trousers despite being hand crafted by Lesage.  The buckled and belted demi wool gilet is also a feat of craftsmanship and picks out the neck snood motif of the rest of the collection whilst being a one-off piece in its own right.

IMG_4407

IMG_4409

IMG_4414

IMG_4405

IMG_4417

IMG_4418

1. Tinacious.Me says:

wow, these sweaters are gorgeous! I also really like the quilted bags!
    http://WWW.TINACIOUS.ME ~ http://WWW.TINACIOUS.ME

2. Love the colors she uses, didn’t know her before, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on her collections, look beautiful definitely with the simple and pure styling of the model.
    Love,
    L.
    snakeskinjacket.wordpress.com

3. Tara says:

Those sweaters are beautiful, I love the entire collection :)
    xx

4. Wow you had me at floral silk and wool. The cut of those dresses is quite incredible, so sculptural, you can really see the a touch of the Balenciaga influence coming through this beautiful work that I would love to wear!

5. diane says:

Very interesting and refreshing. Not like the run of the mill stuff that is everywhere.

6. Lips N Stick says:

Love the first sweater!!! There’s soooo many nice sweaters out there! Great
    It’s making a comeback!

7. Love all her winter related items. The scarves are impressivly glamorous while stille looking super warm, and the cuts for her diffrent coats are simply amazing. Simple and breath taking.

8. Lenka says:

Love the furr scarves, they are so impressivly glamour. My mother used to have similar. Being from the Czech Republic, I love this stuff. Jimmy choo had a lovely bag which would nicely match it.

9. Kizi says:

Nice photos..I love all.

10. Wow! Totally gorgeous! That tie-back blouse is my favorite.

11. Sophia says:

beautiful!! I love the clean cuts on everything and those huge knit collars are amazing!!
    xx

12. The fur scarves are brilliant! Great pieces of clothing.
    Womens Clothing Online

13. Anon says:

Waw. There’s something really ‘old-school glamour’ about this collection, but with enough modernity to make it really appealing for now. Really great.

14. Thanks for introducing me to this designer. I cannot stop looking at the mix of leather straps over fur, and knit wear along with the boucle. It’s so sexy and sophisticated yet so modern. I look forward to being a new fan of her work!

15. Jane Alisa says:

The knitwear is beautiful, she has a new fan :-)

16. Joy says:

such a beautiful collection with such nice details. i dig this!

17. Angela says:

really lovely, those knit and silk sweaters would be great to own!

18. BelovedMedia says:

Bouchra Jarrar’s collection is beautiful – really creative, delicate and original – love it.

19. Absolut amazing pieces! the material mix is so nice and the nude dress looks like a monochrome mondrian picture!

20. Thea vintage says:

Love the first sweaters!

21. Tribute says:

The flower print on the sweaters is really beautiful.

22. Duck says:

What seems so good about Jarrar’s work is that she knows very precisely where to place elements – seams, lines, waists – to really flatter a woman’s body in a modern way. Maybe this is something she picked up at Balenciaga although sometimes Nicolas uses this skill to exaggerate the form. Bouchra doesn’t seem to exaggerate but complement.

23. Marina says:

i love the collection! my favorite is the beaded top! sooo pretty!

24. Marie says:

I love the collars on the jackets! I believe that a good jacket has to have a distinct collar to it – I have been sticking to this since…always?
    Didn’t know about this brand before, glad that I found it though.
    xx Marie

25. Stef says:

Oooh, love the different textures & colours, shall be keeping track of her – thanks for bringing this collection to my attention (as I hadn’t heard of her before).

26. prestiti says:

I like these proposals. Thanks for the post.
    sara m. prestiti

27. csaba fikker says:

Adorable collection and I have to say I love the detailed close up photography.