>> I may have ended the last post on Arise Magazine Fashion Week on a bit of a bum note.  No, I'm not saying being inspired by your own culture is in any way a bad thing but sometimes, it can feel like a designers of minority ethnicity are shackled to that and see it as a way of standing out against Caucasian peers.  Relating your own work to personal experience and heritage though obviously yields great things. When a collection reflects a reality that is genuine and exuberant and feels like it's shaking things up a bit, then I duly approve.  I'm a bit late to Kezia Frederick's Central Saint Martins BA collection but these images are the perfect Friday pick-me-up, that segues into a vaguely clunky mode of dressing that I've personally been enjoying – trainers, socks, multiple shirts/jumpers tied around the waist and of course the formidable print/colour clashing that you're so very used to whenever you zoom over to Style Bubble.  Anybody familiar with the 55 bus route in London or if you live in any multi-cultural city, will get where Frederick is coming from.  She explored the idea of "dual citizenship" with her energetic collection that combines photographs of style observed in London as well as of Nigerian women coming out of church (something that I've personally been fascinated as I grew up seeing people come out of Methodist/Baptist churches in Willesden and Hackney on a Sunday, wondering why their outfits were so fancy).  There's something about Frederick's combination of traditional Nigerian dress with more familiar street-derived elements that come together quite beautifully here.  Frederick took her collection out to Arise Fashion Week and the folks at Patternity singled her out as one of their personal faves from the week.  Hopefully she'll be finding her own design niche soon enough.

Tumblr_lntwp77DhB1qmon1jo1_1280 (1)

Tumblr_lntwnkbxwW1qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntw2agVP41qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntw0rvUo11qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntvwszTtQ1qmon1jo1_r1_1280

Tumblr_lntvvd0zAt1qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntvguFXAK1qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntveruqnc1qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntuzhQRr81qmon1jo1_1280

Tumblr_lntuy6ybUO1qmon1jo1_1280
(Photographs by Shiba Huizer)

1. maya.autumn says:

what beautiful outfits; what beautiful colours; what beautiful patterns
    oh god, i love these!!!x

2. This is pretty awesome! Love the combination with the Nikes!
    XO Charlotte

3. I loved here project the first time i saw it it is such a creative delivery. The colors and textures and juxtaposition of cultures leaves me breathless every time, I really cant wait for her to find her design voice either!
    - PRADA GIVEAWAY UNDERWAY -
    Sunnie
    (.=

4. T says:

I thought your comments in the last post raise a good point. I’ve have always felt that designers from ethnic minorities are often expected to project a certain image about their cultural background. Now like you I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be influenced by your culture particularly if that is what drives a designer, but I can’t help feeling that it gives the impression that it’s the only way for ethnic minority designers to gain recognition within their own countries and mainstream western fashion.
    I’ve also noticed that when African designers (and I use African designers as an example because I know quite a few of them) reference their cultures, they always seem to project a certain kind of image, you know the head scarves, the bright colourful or tribal prints etc, but we all know that these aren’t the only aesthetic styles found in Africa. All I’m saying is that I would really like to see ethnic minority designers, particularly African ones explore all the different types of aesthetic styles in their cultures and not just the ones people have come to expect.
    Saying that I do adore the styling in these photos and I now feel compelled to rock giant colourful bangles on my arms and around my neck.

5. Lovely & funny!
    Regards from Madrid!
    Robert ;)

6. Suzi says:

Fabulously colourful & splendid at the same time. Love. x
    Suzi x
    For the Love of Audrey

7. wooooow this is so colorfull, and it’s for that this so great!! <3

8. Xandra says:

Wow, I love those colors! There’s so much energy!

9. Thea vintage says:

Happiness! I like the pencil kind of skirt!

10. She looks amazing, I really love these amount of colours!

11. Jessica says:

Wow, these colors are so vibrant! Amazing model.

12. Serdane says:

The looks here are very concentrated, I love this mixing of urban and African style
    And clothing which is strange but is suitable too. Inspiring !

13. diane says:

As beautiful as the colors are, and as interesting as the outfits are, I couldn’t help thinking “I could never wear something so big on my head, or something so big & clunky around my neck”.

14. steffi says:

absolutely incredible photos. The girl is so beautiful and the colors and the whole image building are so clever and inspiring.
    thank you for this great photo contributions

15. Suzie says:

Fabulous Shoot. I love the Carmen Miranda styling. The vibrant colours and energetic poses really add a spicy punch. The cropped- in shots are my fav! Always a pleasure discovering your latest post. http://suzieperon.wordress.com/

16. Vintage Lush says:

so beautiful, colorful, bold photos. Love it!

17. Jane Alisa says:

Really interesting post and I agree with many of the points you raise. The pictures are so vibrant and inspiring

18. LaBella Luxe says:

She looks absolutely beautiful! I love the look!

19. Deadly Bite says:

Wow! I think I’ve fallen in love with this designs!
    Will we see you wearing some of them sometime? I’m sure you’d absolutely rock them! :P
    Love! xx