I always think of ladies with double barrelled names with yachts in the South of France whenever you mention the word "cruise".  "Resort" is much the same.  For a long time, cruise/resort collections felt far-removed, blocked by a mega ray of sunshine that would melt me in an instant (I've permanently looked like an overused wax candle whilst I've been in Bangkok).  The word pre-collection somewhat diminishes the image of that well-to-do woman in a wide-brimmed sun hat, wafting around in a caftan and of course, in broader retail terms, pre-collections now hang around the rails for a lot longer than mainline collections.

When I look back on these light-flooded images from the Zimmermann cruise collection, shown during MBFWA a few weeks ago, I had a sudden urge to rethink cruise.  To take back that word and positively embrace all things cruise-associated in my head.  Yes, why shouldn't I be sipping pina coladas with paper umbrellas on a stripy sun lounger by the pool with a myriad of florals, picked out by details of laser-cut holes, biker shapes and twisted ruching.  Why can't I lie on a yacht in manner of hot chick in George Michael's Careless Whisper video, wearing a peplum-adorned halterneck swimsuit or a printed tankini.  Of course, it could be the copious amount of coconuts that I've consumed in Thailand and the post-massage haze that's bringing on all this cruise talk but if cruise is what Australian designers excel at then you have an exemplary collection here on a platter, courtesy of Zimmemann.

The fact that many of the florals used in this particular Zimmermann collection are reminiscent of my mum's 80s pastel sunday dresses that I used to go through with glee, also helps the cause.  They eschewed sleek and exacting digital blooms and instead, went for the sort of bedsheet-type florals that Blossom or Kelly Kapowski would have been more than happy to pile on in abundance.  I mean it in the best way when I say that these prints could well have graced a shower curtain, a roll-up window blind or a cushion pad for garden furniture from yesteryear.  However, this faded floral image fest was appropriately controlled by the use of biker jacket-inspired shapes, body conscious netting and laser cut detailing, playing around with the opacity of the fabrics and drawing lines and panels on the body to create something more aggressive, beneath the surface of these vaguely daggy florals.  It sounds throwaway to say "It's so wrong it's right" but that phrase will keep popping up so long as designers continue to push the levels of taste and dance dangerously around those cheesy borderlines.  With this collection, Zimmermann emphasises their forte in creating direcitonal swimwearas well as putting a stamp on their ready to wear that says they mean business – even if that does mean a redux back to a time when cocktails were too sweet and shaggy perms were abound.

Like I said, expect more delayed chronology.  I'm of course not in Australia anymore but my Bangkok-melting self would certainly appreciate what these pics have to offer right now…

IMG_0312

IMG_0354

IMG_0358

IMG_0361

IMG_0364

IMG_0360

1. Elisa Eymery says:

These triangular earrings are the absolute sh*t! Love them. (beautiful prints and textures too).
    Elisa
    Wandering Minds clothing

2. maya.autumn says:

perfect mix of girly florals and shporty…just what i love!!

3. january says:

this is so not my usual ‘love’ but i LOVED this collection.
    january, x
    jessicajanuary.com

4. Yulia says:

I lkie it! It’s really so romantic, these transparent textures with flower prints…

5. Darius says:

From the looks of it I love the collection, the colors of pastels mixing with the floral prints are a new way of innovation. I’m totes into the cut outs that are displayed on the garments.

6. Daniel says:

This collection is fantastic! I love the floral patchwork, alongside the inordinate amount of ruching!

7. Nathan Niche says:

loves all these looks!!! wow!! stunning! killer looks with the hair and makeup and styling, well executed collection indeed! :)
    xx nathan.niche
    -FIND YOUR NICHE-

8. Serdane says:

Beautiful collection ! I’m impressed by the purity of the colors and patterns.

9. Rhoda says:

i love all the pieces! and the styling too!

10. Tian says:

That’s such a lovely collection, thanks for sharing!

11. ClaireL says:

I was super, super into this collection. It has the kind of chic vibe that is missing from a lot of sunseeker gear. I also loved the big perspex clutches trimmed with white leather (at least, that’s what I think they were made of. A nice thing about Zimmermann is it looks like you don’t need an awesomely perfect body to wear the stuff. Phew.
    Then again, I’m a hopeless Zimmermann fangirl and I’m wearing it right now.

12. Joy D. says:

The colors really pop! I can’t help but shutter at the name though given its short history here in the States over the last few months.

13. fashionsac says:

What a beauty! Great find! I love the color and, of course, the polka dots!

14. pauaprint says:

Love the materials used and the cool white mingled with colour looks bright and fresh.
    Great post and excellent photos.

15. Isabella says:

Lovely collection I havent been to one of these shows in a while.
    great pictures. I’m not sure about the tattoo on the girls leg though
    Izzy

16. Sarah says:

I dont like the clothes but i love the earrings of the girl in the six pictures.

17. fashiondate says:

Beautiful pictures as always ! I love this dress, the dress is amazing, so well, the complete outfit is very nice !

18. Well this kind of design really worth searching for, good information for visitors and a value for you as will definitely show the quality of the writer. It’s good to have these kinds of design around to keep the fashion flow steady. Helping those who really can make things right in the future, good work!

19. Maya says:

Lovely photographs! I’ve been a huge fan of Zimmermann since I discovered them on a visit to Melbourne, and I’m so happy they’ve finally come to the States!

20. Anne Meyer says:

Love the flowers! You could really tell that it’s spring! :) Nice dresses!
    ———–
    Want fashionable pearls? Click here for more info.

21. This clothing looks very feminine because of the floral design. The color are almost the same which is very light and that is cool in the eye.