• Fashion Revolution Day begins @fash_rev Will be asking throughout the day - who made your clothes?  Hope everyone joins in! #InsideOut (pic via @gettyfashion)
  • It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk

Prior to my trip to Mexico City, I had a wardrobe quandry, prompted by my travelling partner Mr Street Peeper who advised "Ummm… you're going to need to dress a bit more "normal" for Mexico City."  This was sound advice of course based on the fact that I've been cursed with a victim face that seeks out would-be criminals (I've been mugged three times thus far in life… ) and Mexico City has somewhat of a sketchy safety rep.  I did reply with indignance that I could definitely dress "normal" (whatever that means) but then I thought about a few of the choice items in my suitcase, coming back from my Australia/Asia trip and realised my line of defence was somewhat moot.  I was thinking specifically of a black leather apron and no less than two items of clothing made of PVC.  In addition to mining other people's cultures, I also seem to have a fixation on garment oddities that make squeaky noises whenever you move about.

First up, the leather apron, which was a random find from Kind, a used-clothing store in Shibuya, Tokyo.  I'll say it once again – used designer shopping is the BEST in Tokyo.  I can literally go hunting for Comme, Junya and all the Japanese faves for days on end in the city, with new items turning up at branches of Rag Tag and Grand Bazaar's at any given moment, making it a joyfully unpredictable type of shopping.  This leather apron was a bargain and somehow made sense to me as something that I could wear over stuff all the time.  I can't really answer why it is that I'll eschew a perfectly great fitting white shirt but then instantly beeline for a leather apron on a rack.  I had to chortle when I ate at a new head-to-tails type restaurant called Smith's in Sukhumvith, Bangkok and saw that the waiters and waitresses were wearing similar leather aprons as part of their uniform.  Oh well, one person's rustic restaurant uniform is another person's layering device.

IMG_3178

IMG_3162

IMG_3169

IMG_3166
(Leather apron worn with vintage t-shirt and Sacai skirt)

I've already got the Two Weeks clear skirt, so it made COMPLETE sense that the matching clear PVC bomber jacket should come home with me too.  Elaine of The Olive Shoppe, who had a pop-up store in Shanghai, made sure that the skirt and jacket should be reuinted with one another.  This jacket makes some serious nosie so I'm reconciled with the fact that it will be irksome to commuters when I'm on the tube shifting about.    I do like the fact that it's roomy enough to be layered over a "proper" coat just as a verification that I do actually non-squeaky items of clothing.

IMG_3299

IMG_3343

IMG_3321

IMG_3363

IMG_3331

IMG_3358

IMG_3368
(Two Weeks PVC jacket worn with Eudon Choi pink trenchcoat, Miu Miu knitted top, Tao knitted shorts, Christopher Kane bejewelled sandals)

The last of the PVC lot, is this Lover-ly raincape by Lover, which I bought in Sydney (feels like an AAAAAAGE ago).  The smoke-grey plastic reminds me of a hideous 80s glass coffee table, which I used to clamber over when I was about three.  Not entirely sure if that's a plus point or not but I do like the way the liquid-like PVC has been unexpectedly cut into a coquettish cape shape, which you'd normally see in navy or burgandy wool.  The cape is also more swooshy rather than squeaky.  Not the most eloquent way of describing the way a garment makes noises but that's what you get when you're into bulk buying PVC clothing.

IMG_3224

IMG_3252

IMG_3226

IMG_3257

IMG_3239

IMG_3280

IMG_3282

IMG_3275

IMG_3263
(Lover "Zhora" raincape worn with vintage dress, Peter Jensen leopard print trousers, Nicholas Kirkwood shoes)

1. Elisa Eymery says:

Cool twisted-flyaway bun! These are truly bizarre clothes (in a good way), but I could potentially see myself rocking that leather apron…
    Elisa
    Wandering Minds clothing

2. You have such individual style! I love how you have used the different styles and textures :-)
    Take a look at my online collection, and see how I experiment with styles to produce original, handmade pieces.

3. The Minx says:

those leopard trousers are staggeringly awesome. have an awesome time in Mexico City!

4. Hi!
    I’m mexican and I can tell you, that you as a foreigner you can wear whatever you want. Don’t worry!
    In Mexico City there are many places that you can dress “alternative” and people keep calm.
    Enjoy the city, the food and lovely people.

5. Is the bomber jacket available to buy? If so where from please? It’s incredible.

6. Amanda says:

So how did you found Mexico City? I never really worried there and have been there 3 times, and I stand out being a 5 10 blonde Swede with a love of printed maxi dresses and chunky jewellery, so I am sure you’re fine. I really love your styling, let me know if your travels take you past Scandinavia!

7. I love the trenchcoat, divine colour and works well with the cropped jacket. Will match my nail varnish!

8. Lili says:

Hey you should go to the “Happening Store” it’s a little store in Francisco I. Madero 10c, San √Ångel. It’s really small and have some mexican designers that aren’t very popular, maybe you’ll find something that you like at least I do. :) Enjoy your saty at Mexico City.

9. thestylepoet says:

Amazing rain cape! Love how it fits.

10. Isis says:

I’m Mexican, my family is from Mexico City, I lived there for a year.
    I would recommend going to Mumedi (www.mumedi.org) it’s a small “museum/gallery” shop, and cafe. Super cool work by independent designers, and also don’t forget to pick up a copy (or 5) of my favorite Mexican design/fashion magazine “Codigo” http://www.revistacodigo.com/

11. I didn’t know it was possible for you or PVC to look so flirty.
    Material Fixations

12. Fiona says:

Please answer this 5 min survey!
    Thanks!

13. Asy says:

I´m Asian too and I´ll be in Mexico City this weekend too (hawhaw), and I was wondering whether you have encountered nifty vintage stores that are visit-worthy or even obscure places to buy Mexican styled clothes and accessories.
    Also, thanks to your previous post, I was inspired to find ethnic prints and managed to score an ultra-high-and-happy pair of Mexican woven wedges from a market here in Monterrey!
    Thanks!
    P.s.: Tokyo, Bangkok and London are my favourite cities so I totally travel vicariously through this blog.

14. I love raincoats! These semi-transparent PVC ones look great on you.
    xoxo,
    Taylyn.

15. voguesky says:

I love this outfit! You look gorgeous! It is different from your last really feminine looks but I still really like it on you. Especially the coat – I want to have it!

16. LOVE THE LEATHER APRON! REMINDED ME OF 3.1 PHILLIP LIM’S RESORT COLLECTION! love u..

17. Rebecca says:

Ah, no way! Samuel and I were mulling over that very apron for about a month!
    Very glad it’s gone to a good home :)

18. Lil says:

This post has just reminded me I actually need to take more clothing risks, because I may end up looking as good as you do one day

19. Loving the PVC look! All so cute and you can pull it off very well.

20. our youth says:

Ah Mexico, lucky!
    This outfit is perfect :)
    x

21. Olive says:

Oh Miss Bubble I love your jacket and cape! Now I’m craving for transparent thingy. Do you think this will be an upcoming trend?

22. Deadly Bite says:

Wow! I love your third outfit! It’s SO wild! *O*
    I hope you enjoy your trip to Mexico – stay safe! ^^

23. doro says:

loving your raincape!

24. Xinsiqi1 says:

25. Goldie says:

I love your outfits, and I want that raincape!
    For a chance to win a ‘Goldie’ outfit then check out our blog