• It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk
  • Swash land at @liger_hk Patterson St store #SwashLondon

>> When I talked about the rise and fall and rise again of logo-mania, I forgot to mention my own slightly reckless and ever-so-obsessive fetish with the logos that hailed from Japan.  Hysteric Glamour and Super Lovers were a duo of brands that crept into the wardrobe of my later teen years, due to shops like Pippa Brook's legendary Shop in Soho, which was one of the few stockists of Hysteric Glamour (there was also a Hysteric Glamour store in London which opened back in 1991) as well as the now-defunct but ever-famed Super Lovers store in Covent Garden.

Particularly with Super Lovers, it was pretty easy to walk in, get a gift for a friend and know what you had played your gifting trump card – there is no way that your friend wasn't going to be mighty impressed when she sees that famous Superman diamond and heart logo even if the shirt/skirt/sweater was ill-fitting, which it often was due to the Japanese sizing.  Hysteric Glamour was a little bit more of a mystery.  I'm thinking the UK didn't get all the cool stuff that they did in Japan (it was law that between the ages of 14 and 17, I thought EVERYTHING was cooler in Japan).  I certainly never saw anything like this 80s Hysteric Glamour baseball jacket, which I have just bought from the lovely gals at Vagabond NYC (one of my fave online spots for off-kilter designer vintage pieces).  Then again I do believe I may have caught on to Hysteric Glamour in the latter, vaguely "naff" stages of the brand's timeline, a far cry from founder Nobu Kitamura's original vision of hyper-cartoonish and exaggerated 1960s/70s American popular culture.  Still back then, nothing Japanese could be bad in my eyes.  I remember laughing at the boys who queued around the block for Bathing Ape tees in Soho but I look back and can honestly chuckle at my equally blinkered self.

Particularly when you go on to Hysteric Glamour's website at present and you're thinking you've stumbled upon a Japanese version of Ed Hardy.  Searching for specimens of Hysteric Glamour that are similar in vibe and attitude to this early HG varsity jacket proves to be fruitless.  Therefore, I'm ever grateful to the folks at Vagabond (who are redoing their website) for a) reminding me of a time when I was indeed a fool for the logo, albeit one that felt cultish and individual to me and b) having the eye to recognise that Hysteric Glamour did contribute something significant to Japanese street style culture at one point, even if its later offerings fell short of its original agenda.

IMG_8968

IMG_8945

IMG_8975

IMG_8955

IMG_8972

IMG_8974

IMG_8960
(Worn with Michael Angel dress, KTZ sweater, Corgi x A Minute Silence socks, Underground creepers)

1. Tanya says:

The silhouette looks interesting. I love the creepers.
    You’re so adorable!

2. ttea says:

What a crazy wonderful outfit. I’ve always admired Japanese style. It has such a unique feel to it, absolutely nothing like western style whatsoever. I don’t think I would ever be brave enough to pull off something like the outfit your wearing, but I love thinking about the creativity and imagination behind it.
    Today I published a post on my favourite bloggers, and I had to include yours. I would love it if you could visit my blog and tell me what you think.

3. Serdane says:

I love this spirit of freedom expressed by the outfit. It’s so pop !

4. The jacket reminds me somehow of the coats of Japanese motorbike gangs (like in Shimotsuma monogatari movie, you know what I mean?). I think it is because of the embroidery and maybe also the violet colour. I think it is an interesting piece.

5. A really cool thing happened this week: I work in a creative job related to fashion and my boss lent be a book “Style Yourself”. Brushing through it, I suddenly happened upon pictures of you. And I was like: Hey, I know her, I sometimes read her blog! :-) Didn’t know you were featured in this book and although it’s a little while ago: Congratulations on that, Susie!
    xoxo, Marianne

6. Jessica says:

Anything associated with Japanese street culture is usually the bomb
    Rad outfit
    The Lovelorn

7. Helen says:

The jacket is so funny and great! An Inspiration as always! Thank you!

8. Crazy, ..but very cool!

9. Cannot begin to describe how super cool that jacket is!
    Christie x
    Dark Blue Stripes

10. Kim West says:

That jacket is so cool. I think I could get some tips from your jacket to my teen clients!

11. The Provoker says:

I am liking the vintage vibe of the baseball jacket from HG but the thing about HG is I feel as they’re no longer as ‘cool’ as you said as they were a few years back. It’s become commercial like many other once-hip labels with simple front print tees and pocket studded trimmed stone-wash denim… Oh.. and the every-so-often sewn on logo patches that aren’t to be mistaken as logo-mania but simply militant inspired embroideries that really aren’t that cool tbh, so I’m glad that when you bought a HG jacket, it was proper vin-tage.
    xx nathan.niche

12. Constance says:

The posts of your outfits are always the best to me!!!

13. ruby kwok says:

我覺得你咁著仲型過平時,support support!!

14. That is so old-school! Love it

15. Sam Prance says:

Love the varsity jacket and your blog in general. Style queen. x

16. Hillary says:

Ohhh the jacket looks pretty awesome…and um I feel like I’m going through that Japan is the best phase right now…. XD derp

17. SURFACE SCAN says:

love love love Varsity Jackets
    and silly Japanamerican fashion.
    the combo kills it

18. unze says:

very pretty jackets…
    these are beautiful i like them :)
    introducing UK’s best company UNZE.. offering unique
    footwear and matching accessories.
    join official page and get great discounts ;)

19. Tara says:

I love Nobu. Here’s flasback me in a Hysteric Glamour spiderman dress in Tokyo… http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbietron/432147954/in/set-72157600023329998 Being a freak :) And me and Kirsten in a book of his… http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbietron/33558603/in/set-72157600023329998 And a pile of people in a Hysteric Glamour shoot… http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbietron/432147575/in/set-72157600023329998 And me and him a bit+ messy at Tokyo Disneyland… http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbietron/432146227/in/set-72157600023329998 ;)
    Also, Hi :) and x from me

20. Hi to all I am new person to blog.Thanks for sharing the blog.Keep on updating the blog.