I know it sounds a little like lazy fashion journalism to throw around the phrase "it's so wrong, it's right", as if everything that had an inkling of bad taste could be excused with those words.  Depending on the person, one could argue that something that seems "wrong" to most, is really just that – wrong, with no ifs or buts.  I'm also pretty sure Christopher Kane gets tired of that phrase being bandied about when people discuss his collections.  Sometimes it just isn't appropriate.  The chiffon plaids and double thigh-high split skirts (which then prompted a double thigh-high split skirt rampage in other collections) of S/S 10?  The embroidered florals of A/W 10?  The brocades and filmy organzas of S/S 12?  All pitch perfect without necessarily being "wrong".  The neon bandage minis of his debut collection, the ruffled snakeskin prints of S/S 08 and the lava lamp gel-filled pieces of A/W 11 do teeter around the line of wrongness but somehow sway their way into becoming lustworthy eventually.

His A/W 11-12 collection however struck me as his most challenging yet.  Well, at least challenging for me for reasons I shall dissect below as I once again delve into the ins and outs of a Kane collection, which has become a seasonal ritual of mine.

Lets start with the pervasive silk moir√©, which almost overtakes the collection with its wood-grained texture.  Kane cited the linings of coffins as a reference point.  I would add that moir√© reminds me of hideous 80s wallpaper and matching curtain tiebacks.  Maybe an Argos sofa as well in shades of undesirable plum, seafoam and magnolia.  It's a fusty and heavy that I associate with terrifying Changing Rooms interiors (pre-makeover that is).  In garment form, they make fetching flared-out gowns on Victorian dollies that act as toilet roll covers.  Kane took this shady fabric and dunked them in vampiric red, inky blue and murky purple, padding the edges out with leather and in cut-out dresses, tops, trousers and puffa coats.  A moir√© knee length puffa coat pushes my limits right to the edge but everything else in this wavy/watered fabric is alarmingly convincing.  Am I that wrong-side-of-the-tracks girl who is slipping in and out of seedy situations that Kane imagined for this collection?  Nope, hardly.  However, he has successfully convinced me that moir√© can exist in a context outside of bygone living rooms and chintzy interiors.

IMG_6506

IMG_1238

IMG_6499

IMG_1236

IMG_6522

IMG_1251

IMG_6526

IMG_1255

IMG_6546

IMG_1286

IMG_1292

IMG_1298

Then comes the pinstripe, printed on leather, striped on to velvet and repeated in the knitwear.  Here's a stripe that I've not yet tried, even when I had to wear pencil skirts to work.  Get the stripe too wide and you end up looking like a cheesy 40-something wheeler dealer who wears too much gold jewellery.  Come to think of it, the pinstripe in any width is likely to remind you of wedding morning suits, possibly with a flash of purple or burgundy handkerchief.  That's not in itself a bad thing but spanking a wad of money on a high-end designer pinstriped ensemble is yet another limit.  When printed on leather, you definitely get the kolh-rimmed vibes of the film The Craft.  That's a good thing by the way (unless you have something against Neve Campbell).  I'm in semi-belief that I too can stomp about in a knee-length leather pin-striped coat and beaver boots, putting hexes on unsuspecting folks.

IMG_1218

IMG_1223

IMG_1260

IMG_6538

IMG_1308

IMG_6544

Chainmail is something of a *ahem* hard limit too (look, if The Guardian can persistently litter their pages with Fifty Shades references then godamnit, I will too).  Kane coats the chainmail in red, purple and black and uses them as backgrounds to his floral beading and plastic strand embroidery.  To be fair, it's gold chainmail that particularly offends my sensibilities.  Remember those handkerchief chainmail halterneck tops?  No, I never wore them either but I definitely remember them being a hit in da club on girls who knew how to properly bump n' grind to 112.  I think I may have tried to shimmy around in a chainmail hipster belt.  Emphasis on the word 'tried'.  Kane did venture into gold territory with the outfit he created the Stella Tennant in the Olympics Closing Ceremony but for his collection he uses this oozy metal material as the perfect backdrop to one of my favourite elements of the collection – the plastic fantastic embroidery – yet another Kane twist on the floral motif.  It's particularly effective when the flowers burst into shades of blue, purple and red all over a silver chainmail and leather-edged dress, like strange fireworks on a LED screen.

IMG_1311

IMG_6560

IMG_6558

IMG_1321

IMG_6572

IMG_6576

IMG_1324

IMG_6571

IMG_6565

IMG_1329

IMG_6577

IMG_6620

Finally we see the return and strengthening of the practically-trademark Kane leopard print.  Colouring in the spots of a leopard print in shades outside of the brown/beige remit isn't necessarily innovative but with this season, it seems Kane has made it his business to go wild with his leopard print, rendering the pattern in a plethora of unexpected colour combinations.  In addition to the pieces in the show such as the zip-up leather jacket and sleeveless shift dress, his commercial collection sees the leopard print placed on wool coats, biker jackets, chiffon shirts and jogging bottom and sweatshirts.  A matchy matchy leopard print hoodie and jogger combo feels like the apex of bad taste limits.  By simply changing up the colours of this familiar animal print, with the flick of a photoshop wand print, I'm suddenly all in favour of slumping around in this ensemble, maybe with the biker jacket draped over it.  Holding the clutch too.  Maybe with a jumper tied around the waist as well.

Hmmm… perhaps these so-called hard limits were just a little too easy to hit.  Come on Kane.  Give it your all next season.  Test me with something universally reviled.  I want to physically recoil in my seat and then find myself rethinking my initial reaction two months later, realising that yup, in fact, you CAN touch anything and turn it into collection gold.

IMG_1273

IMG_6515

IMG_6521

IMG_1276

IMG_6604

IMG_6609

IMG_6619

IMG_6606
IMG_6607

IMG_6628

IMG_6624
IMG_6634

IMG_6630

1. Miss Coco says:

I loved the fashion show and textiles!!
    Miss Coco

2. Victor says:

Christopher Kane is always soooo good, I love his creations!

3. Tara says:

I, too, have noted the phrase “it’s so wrong, it’s right” bandied around when it comes of many of Christopher Kane’s collections. But, I have always felt that, by in large, Kane’s collections have been more or less pitch-perfect for their time, without being “same-y”.
    I think his A/W 11-12 collection compounds this belief, beautifully.
    Best Wishes,
    Tara

4. jean cave says:

Bit edgy but quality production and sooo wearable. He Kaned it.

5. even if so wrong, there are so many mr. rights taking his brilliant ideas to make they shine. Kane can say being there, done that to most designers. He is fabulous!!!

6. Serdane says:

Love the way he is putting prints or other ornements on black items.

7. ttea says:

I don’t know that the phrase ‘it’s so wrong, it’s right’ really applies here. I found most of the collection to be quite elegant. The lines are all fairly classic, which gives even the more questionable stuff a leg to stand on. I found the chain mail pieces strikingly beautiful, especially the flower detail, and also the pieces made out of a sort of see through mesh. There are other pieces here that I find completely revolting, but there’s not much good about them.

8. Anastasios says:

Amazing collection and review dear Susie!!!
    Christofer Kane just feels sooooooo right :)
    xoxoxo

9. Carina says:

Great post. I love all of the leather touches here and there! Brilliant collection

10. t says:

Most of the collection is simply awful and tacky as hell, but there is something about the chainmail stuff that I’m drawn too.

11. I love the chainmail stuff, although it looks dead on the hanger but amazing on. The rest of the collection seemed a little lazy and boring though. Good fair review – someone needed to do it. Just because you’ve great in the past doesn’t allow you to slack off in the future.
    It’s a LDN Thing

12. Peter says:

I’m surprised that people say CK is so wrong, it’s right. The clothing seems relatively safe – not particularly loud or gaudy – aesthetically straightforwardly pleasing!
    x Peter

13. Cassandra says:

These are beautiful pieces. I have to say I really like it and they are different! :D
    Oh and if you have some time please check out this new Bloggers Against Social Injustice network where fashion bloggers come together to make this world a better place.
    You can join in the fun by participating in events organized by the Bloggers Against Social Injustice committee & also at the same time spread the words of such good cause.
    Play your part & help those unheard voice be heard. You are just a click away! :)
    Website: http://bloggersagainstsocialinjustice.blogspot.com
    Facebook: Click here for our Facebook
    Twitter: Click here for our Twitter
    I hope to see you there! :)
    Cassandra
    backtofive.blogspot.com
    Bloggers Against Social Injustice

14. Suzi says:

Just love the originality of these garments, using well known prints, such as chamo, but with an edge.
    Suzi x

15. patricia says:

great collection! love all
    kiss

16. Christopher Kane has always been edgy, but in a very smart manner. I’m not surprised with the rather narrow vision that journalists have on this. It’s pretty obvious that some other adored designers are going to dig on this and take some ideas for their own.
    Greetings from Santiago, Chile.
    Twitter: @cristianpavezd
    Facebook: http://on.fb.me/uywe6X

17. yun says:

love it!
    yunstation.blogspot.com

18. Sarah says:

Add me to those who think the clean shapes of the garments make the baroque prints/textures interesting rather than tacky.

19. Shynii says:

Ugh that plastic embroidery is fantastic. And on chainmail no less!

20. Everything just came out perfectly well and as it is said fashion is al about twisting ideas to suit whatever you intend to achieve.

21. I love the way the colors blended and the fashion show was such a success, if you ever want to be successful in the world of fashion then you must be up to date and creative as well.

22. gothic says:

WOW!Awesome show!What an amazing collection!
    Thanks for sharing!

23. Noe Farrell says:

Wow! So fascinating fashion. I really love it. Everything looks so gorgeous. The pics are so wonderful indeed. Keep up!

24. I love the complete collection, specially the colors. It’s perfectly matched. This is where creativity meets fashion.

25. I love the red and black blended dress. There is some uniqueness in it.

26. Sari Purdy says:

The model looks great. She has a pretty small waist and the dresses fit her very well. She is the exact definition of perfection.

27. I couldn’t agree more. @ Sarry, she looks great!

28. Goldie says:

I love Kane’s leopard prints, the colours and prints add a really great quirkiness to the clothing that looks awesome!
    Check our great give away to win a ‘Goldie’ outfit!!

29. ally says:

love christopher kane and his amazing collections! i get my inspiration for next season trends from this site, http://www.amazine.com/story/749226

30. joe F says:

hi i follow and blog fashion – newest website to be launched ( i believe its only been out for a day !!!!) is BPVGmoda – http://bpvgmoda.com/ its by one of the Gucci family and is very cool relating to her vintage family collection of Gucci

31. lamakpoq says:

The fashion site for all your fashion news, style tips, celebrity style, designer numbers and high street copies.
    Found More : http://show-the-news.blogspot.com

32. I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time… however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals.