I can't quite express how BIG of an impact Disney had on my childhood.  Most will have watched the films in passing and maybe remember a song or two.  I'm the geek who will be breaking out with Pocahontas' Colours of the Wind or The Little Mermaid's Part of Your World at karaoke.  Hell, not even karaoke.  I'll bust those tunes out at any dinner chez Lau.  Disney rules.  If anyone says otherwise, I'll sing Disney tunes right into their ears until they bleed.  Or animated flowers and birds come flying out.

Of all the characters of this animation empire, Minnie Mouse has been somewhat shafted in the attention stakes.  Her beau Mickey is far more famous and their shared silhouette of the ears sometimes makes it easy just to lump the two together as a pair that are permanent attached to each other, devoted in their love of bright red garments and spongey white gloves, a jolly smile and a squeaky laugh.  2012 is the year that Minnie has decided to strike out on her own.  She's her own woman and she'll be getting a wardrobe to prove it.  This moment of emancipation comes courtesy of a big ol' fashion initiative to get Minnie some better duds beyond her usual polka dot dress (although I wouldn't knock it – Rei Kawakubo and Yayoi Kusama owes a fair bit to Miss Minnie) and in London a quite brilliant rollcall of designers are involved – Giles Deacon, Richard Nicoll, Michael van der Ham have all provided Minnie-inspired outftisand Husam el Odeh, Katie Hillier, Tatty Devine, Piers Atkinson, Lulu Guinness and Terry de Havilland have kitted her out with jewellery, bags and headgear.  These "Inspired by Minnie" pieces will be going to auction on eBay to raise money for the BFC/Bazaar Fashion Arts Foundation.  Thus far, the auctions aren't looking too scarily priced but the auction does run until the 23rd September.  I'll do my usual eBay thing and try and jump in last minute to see what I can get my hands on.

Given my love of all things Disney, I asked all participating designers to tell us a Disney-related memory.  Ok, so not everyone shares my very INTENSE love of Disney but they were all a good sport for answering the question.

"I actually don't have strong memories particularly which maybe helped me to make something abstract and un-nostalgic from the brief." Richard Nicoll

"I was aware of Minnie from being a youngster, thought I was always much more of a Goofy,Daffy and Pluto fan." Giles Deacon

"Growing up, America always seemed so bright and exciting, and I think that Minnie Mouse and the Disney characters are very much part of that landscape.  Even as an adult visiting Disneyland, I was drawn to the 'Ears' Hats, so I think that there is something very special and direct about that simplicity." Andrew Bunney

"I don‚Äôt think anyone could possibly miss out on Disney as a child but I really loved Mickey, and I still have my Mickey Mouse ‚Äòfirst spoon and fork‚Äô (which I use to make tea) and my red Mickey watch where his arms spin round to tell the time!" Piers Atkinson

"I definitely grew up with a lot of Disney films at home." Michael van der Ham

"I was obsessed with Disneys comic books as a kid, so Minnie was one of the first Women in my life. I think her temper slightly scared at the time, but ultimately she is one of the most loveable characters of my childhood" Husam el Odeh
"Minnie's style is a big influence on us.  The first items of clothing that ever made us feel cool had Minnie Mouse prints on. We had Minnie Mouse watches where her hands moved round the clock, and reversible padded sweatshirts with her print all over it." Rosie Wolfenden and Harriet Vine of Tatty Devine

"When I was ten my Mum and Dad took me to Disney World in Florida - we went every year until I was about 23. On my first trip to Disney I ran up to Minnie, I remember she picked me up and swung me around, I hugged her until my dad had to come and remove me! It was like all my dreams had come true. I then made my mum and dad take me to buy my own Minnie and she didn't leave my side for years!" Katie Hillier

PRODUCT STILLS
From left to right, top to bottom: Bags by Lulu Guinness, Necklace by Tatty Devine, Dress by Richard Nicoll, Hat by Piers Atkinson, Shoes by Terry de Havilland, Necklace by Katie HIllier, Dress by Michael van der Ham, Jacket by Meadham Kirchhoff, Dress and bow by Giles, Dress and trousers by Richard Nicoll, Headband by Husam el Odeh, Badges by Bunney

1. Tara says:

Having the nickname “Ratty”, as I do, means that over the years I have slowly built up a sort of affinity with cartoonish rodent creatures – cartoonish simply because I cannot stand real rodents!
    Dangermouse, Mickey and Minnie – to name a few – have all played their part in shaping my ideas of popular culture in art, fashion design – as bizzare as this may sound. So, this intriguing collection has certainly brought a smile to my face.
    Best Wishes,
    Tara

2. winnie says:

I love that Lulu Guinness bag – even more so when I learned that the sizes were of course named ‘large’ and ‘minnie’ perfect! I grew up on a diet of Hello Kitty, Sailormoon and of course Minnie and Mickey…to this day I’ve never been to Disneyland but I have on occassion worn my sister’s minnie Ears she bought from Disneyland Paris! I will visit one day, I will!

3. Katy says:

I’m totally in with you. I LOOOOOOVE Disney. It doesn’t matter what age you are, you cannot forget what you grew up with! I’ve got a huge collection of Disney movies and have repeated them dozens of times!! xoxo

4. Serdane says:

Just by seeing the pieces, i’m always dreaming.

5. Rebecca says:

I love the Disney trend, it’s so cute and girly. Peter Alexander is doing disney summer nighties and I cannot wait to get one.

6. It seems to me that disney is the paradise of present trend. Here the pictures of minni’s dress is looking amazing.

7. Dario says:

Even if it’s for fund raising I don’t like this pieces at all. Dnt see how Disney can fit in with fashion and even the Barney’s slimmed down characters are not that convincing :-((
    here my complete rant.

8. Alas I’ve found someone else who seems to love Disney as much as I do! I have disney music on my iPod, just because listening to it makes each day a bit better.
    Thankyou so much for sharing this post, I am loving the shoes- too cute to boot!

9. Xandra says:

Cute stuff! Though the eye-necklace kinda scares me.

10. I was a great fan of it in my childhood and still loves it very much,

11. The Provoker says:

Oh yeah, I saw their stuff at LFW exhibition and loved the necklace, it’s just so fun. If you want to know what I wore to LFW for the first day, check out my new outfit post, heads up cause I was wearing the double GIVENCHY nose rings-
    xx nathan.niche

12. Disney characters are everybody’s favorite specially the kid’s. That’s why most of us are collecting things with a touch of this Disney characters. One of my favorite is Minnie stuffed toy.

13. Ali MacKin says:

Ah Minnie Mouse who would of thought! Great post. My Rocka Billy friend Danna would love those shoes. She loves to entertain and dress up, we call her Betty Rocker. But she would die for those shoes.

14. I am crazy of fashion and this just got me, so amazing. I just loved everything very fantastic!!thumbs up for the good work.

15. The colors, they are perfect enough for kids. Kids are supposed to put on outfits with shouting colors, those colors just works magic for them.

16. I love that black necklace with eye patterns. It has that unique touch.

17. Sari Purdy says:

What can I say? Par excellent!

18. Noe Farrell says:

Great stuff! Your collection is really stunning especially that Lulu Guinness bag; looks so beutiful, I love it. I can’t wait to miss out such an inspiring fashion!

19. jackets says:

I Love jackets! It’s very comfortable for coming winter season. It is also a fashion of new generation like kids used to have bags of bunny micky n minnie etc. I Love all variety of things.Thanks for sharing us!

20. Vanessa says:

Very beautiful items and hard to find a personal favorite…. want to have so many of them… but shoes are always perfect :)
    New CHANEL giveaway: –> Great new products by CHANEL & Louboutin
    Van – PureGlam.tv * My Youtube Videos

21. WOw!!! beautiful outfits and items i like it. Minnie and Me nice post…

22. Lisa says:

In love with this – Minnie was every girls first fashion icon!

23. Ella says:

I absolutely adore Minnie mouse she is soo cute! Everybody thumbs up for Minnie mouse!! :)<3

24. Ella says:

Lisa are you an adult or child reply back to me. I am a child ok

25. These stuff are so cute like it