• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

When I was ten, it was ever so exciting to be let loose on a school trip to Cornwall, to mark the end of our primary school career.  Seeing Don Quixote in the Minack theatre by the sea, getting scared by sea lions at the seal sanctuary, enjoying all the tourist trappings of Land's End, eating copious amounts of ice cream and dodging cream of tomato soup and bed and breakfast hotels – all brilliant and weirdly memorable out of the abundance of trips I've been all over the world.

The most well-known female sculptor Barbara Hepworth figures into that jolly trip as we went to the pretty Hepworth Museum and Gardens in St.Ives, where her former studio was.  Sculpted holes, smooth lines and curvaceous harmony.  It's understandable why the boys in the class weren't as enthralled with Babs as we girls.

One boy did take inspiration though as I was delighted to discover that Peter Jensen has made Barbara Hepworth his latest muse for his S/S 13 collection, which is why I'm indulgently reminiscing in Cornish kiddie dreams.  ‚ÄúI, the sculptor, am the landscape. I am the form and I am the hollow, the thrust and the contour‚Äù is the quote that punctuates the clothes.  Not to knock Hepworth's talent as a sculptor but Jensen cites her blandness as the reason why he was inspired.   "She is grown up, in her art and her dress sense. She‚Äôs very uniformed, which I like," explains Jensen.

Hepworth also famously worked hard as a sculptor: "I found one had to do some work every day, even at midnight, because either you're professional or you're not.‚Äù  It's this professionalism coupled with the grown-up sensibility of the sculptor that really kicks this collection into another gear in Jensen's world.  We know he can do lovable oddness and whimsicality but this is a collection that is reined in by the calming influence of Hepworth.  In the clothes, Jensen references Hepworth's sculptural work in the prints and in the shapes making use of that ovoid form as well as taking inspiration from what she wore to work such as an artist's smock reconfigured into white georgette.  Even the prints which are no less witty – moles peeping out of pinstripes, trompe l'oeil sequins and people lying on a beach – are employed in a subtle way, allowing the shapes of pieces such as an elongated sleeved jackets and assymetric trench coat to make the case for Jensen as a quirky tailor.  The world isn't so bland though when you have eyes peering through ovoid-holed visor hats created with Bernstock Speirs and lace-up brogues that have also been punctured with a hole.  Jensen's growing accessories are also bring this new gen Hepworth girl to life.  Yes, she has her Jensen bunny bags and iPad cases but she's now also got a humongous satchel, the biggest I've ever seen for shoving her A2 portfolio in.  Art and design students take note.  They are going into production and they'll be jabbing you in the body on a tube near you soon enough.

Peterjensen_ss13_LK_01

Peterjensen_ss13_LK_23b

IMG_0363

IMG_0368

IMG_0370

51be722c0b0811e28dfe22000a1cfdcd_7

1. Serdane says:

It looks like an esoteric collection ! So nice.

2. dipitblack says:

I love it!
    Didn’t know this designer before!
    So glad you showed me.
    I love angles and lines and this is all about angles and lines!
    X

3. Gina Shin says:

Oh wow! That huge satchel would be perfect to carry around my portfolio in… Definitely going on my christmas wishlist ;) hahah
    pshawscorner.com

4. Gina Shin says:

pshawscorner.com

5. really inspiring collection
    http://www.fazanemalik.co.uk limited edition womenswear with a twist

6. Miss Coco says:

i LOVE THE BAGS!
    miss Coco
    *********************************

7. Eyespectacle says:

I just pre-ordered one of those straw sunhats, can’t wait to receive it! I like the concept of strawhats to protect you from the sun, maybe as an alternative to sunglasses? Read more about them here http://www.eyespectacle.com/2012/09/Chalayan-sunhat-visor.html
    x
    Sandra

8. Tara says:

As an “art student” – I use the term lightly, for I am only studying Art GCSE – I couldn’t help but take one look at Jensen’s Hepworth inspired satchel, and think “Wow! That would make such a great portfolio!”. Even though, we are currently working on A1 sized surfaces…
    In anycase, I really love the quirky-ness of this collection as well as the sense of drama all the angles, curves and those magnificent hats induce.
    Best Wishes,
    Tara

9. Cecilia says:

Wow, what amazing pictures. I have been looking for some inspiration for some girls clothes for my older daughter, she wants to dress more fashionably. These are some beautiful pieces, they are all so unique. Thanks for sharing!

10. alex says:

Those hats are rather different! We need some more quirky hats in the world! The pictures are beautiful. I love the layout of your blog.
    astitchintherightdirection.com

11. solara says:

i’m in love with your blog. and i really love that people print! so cool. and the hats are amazing, and very interesting!
    thanks for being so awesome!

12. Now, those are really crazy designs you got there.

13. Sari Purdy says:

I love the uniqueness in your designs. I love everything about fashion and I am a big fun of these crazy designs!

14. Nina says:

Agree, so cool.
    Retro & Beans – http://www.retrobeans.com

15. I love the collection, very unique and funny indeed! It charming so far.

16. Noe Farrell says:

This is crazy designs! You are killing me with laughter, so funny, rare do I see people in this

17. Oh God! This is incredible outfits! I have never been in one of those crazy, unique and funny design. I wish to be one of this fine days; looks interesting indeed!

18. Lynkez says:

Those hats and shoes are so cool! There designs are very funny though…lol. I admire the big satchel over there. That fasion trend is unique. Can fit my wadrobe.