• Fashion Revolution Day begins @fash_rev Will be asking throughout the day - who made your clothes?  Hope everyone joins in! #InsideOut (pic via @gettyfashion)
  • It was announced a while ago but wanted to say how happy I am to have been asked to select Dress of the Year 2013 at Fashion Museum in Bath. My choice was this @christopherkanestudio SS13 beauty.
  • Love this concertina beach scene print on @marios_official tote available at @therefineryhk now! #PMQIS
  • Congrats to my cousin @elizabethlauldn and her new shop @therefineryhk in the new PMQ building @PMQHKDesign #PMQIS much love for @BernstockSpeirs bunny ears!
  • Love that I always see the best pieces by Brit designers abroad @nicoll_studio @liger_hk

>> I've been re-watching a ton of old episodes of Smack the Pony, an all-female sketch show that ran from 1999 to 2003 poking fun at all the hysterical tendancies of women and their relationships with men, that are as true today as they were back then.  Watch this medley of sketches on the theme of competition between women and you'll see what I mean.  The show elicits a nervous sort of laughter as it dawns on you that you too have fallen prey to some of the things that are being made fun of.  The one that I've posted here was particularly relevant back when I watched it.  Patterned tights.  All fun and games until the punchline hits you in the crotch.  They don't suit legs.  I remember bellowing with laughter with my sister when we saw this and then realised we indeed had a box of patterned tights that were fun for first time novelty wear but quickly became entangled into a pile of bunched up hoisery rejects.  I really do think that sketch has contributed to the diminishing presence of patterened tights in my life as weird as that sounds.  Yes, it's just a sketch but the niggling thought at the back of my mind has lingered – that patterned tights are cheesy signposts to say to the world "Hey, I'm a raving quirkster and I want my legs to show you that!"  Oh, and they may not suit legs.  Not that, body conscious suitability has ever really been a prevailing factor in my wardrobing decisions.

Tokyo has broken my patterned tights drought though.  Cute n' kawaii label mercibeaucoup has come up with some beautifully gradiated tights (not available outside of Japan alas) in a geometric pattern that seems to have everything from a sunset, twilight sky and the sparkling sea floating around in the colour palette and they're far more complex than a pair of yer average polka dot/striped/printed tights.  Seductive colours win for now and thoughts of that Smack the Pony sketch are shelved for the moment.

IMG_9256

IMG_9268

IMG_9284

IMG_9277

On another Japan-related hoisery note, the latest issue of SO-EN, one of my favourite Japanese magazines has a ten page feature on antique stockings in their vintage issue.  Ten pages dedicated to bygone stockings.  That's the sort of editorial whimsicality that wouldn't cut the mustard in most mainstream mags in the West these days.  Then again, we are also talking about a country that can get beautifully printed books published about topics as specific as airline meals, embroidery from South East Asia and stationery from France in the pre-war period so I suppose a ten page gorgefest on 18th century clocked stockings, patriotic legs at the French Revolution and mid-20th century nylons shouldn't be all that surprising.  As with much of SO-EN's content, it's certainly a refreshing break from the usual advertiser news pieces and name drops.

IMG_9285

IMG_9287

IMG_9289

IMG_9292

IMG_9293

IMG_9296

IMG_9300

1. Serdane says:

Vey cute ! But isn’t it a little bit difficult to make a choice of the outfits to wear with ?

2. Dip It Black says:

Love this post! I’m crazy about thights and the pictures of the magazine looks amazing! And ofcourse I love your thights! Beautiful colors!
    X

3. Miss Suey says:

That video was incredible! I too, could not help but laugh….
    I think the idea with patterned tights is that it should be kept away from the “kitch” and brought in with current,new modern ideas such as the tights with the geometric prints that you have shown here.
    Very interesting post though, I love it.
    xo. Miss Suey.

4. W says:

actually like those simple shoes in the video more! do u know where can i find them? thx!

5. maria says:

nice blog!!!!
    do u want to follow each other? just let me know :)
    xoxo

6. Luana says:

Really beautiful !!
    I loved the pictures <3
    I'm posting accessories from Los Angeles on my blog!
    Take a look!

7. Sweet Perdition says:

que me gustan los leotardos de colores!!
    New outfit post!

8. The Provoker says:

Now that it’s so cold that everyone’s covering their legs up, I think these (probably in a thicker or chunkier fabric) would be great to still bare legs. Btw, you should gaze upon my new DOMI-MATRIX look where yes, a plastic coat becomes my statement piece. A potential Halloween look might just end up looking too sexual… lol
    xx The Provoker

9. Hello! I was in Tokyo in July and I totally got some pattern tights at Isetan :-) SO-EN looks great, do you know by chance if they have an online edition that is possible to purchase? Valeria

10. Devon says:

I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve searched online for “patterned tights for muscular legs”…alas, if patterned tights don’t suit legs in general, they’re definitely not going to suit mine!

11. Lynkez says:

I love those stockings and I even have shopped a for a couple of pairs but the patterned ones made me need more pairs.
    They look stylish in a short dress or skirt especially during winter, spring and fall.
    Good work!

12. Sari Purdy says:

Wow! Those leggings are beautiful

13. And those leggings are so stunning! I love the color combination!

14. Those are really nice legs. I love the stocking; I think they will work better on me too!

15. Fabulous video. I love the legs looks good in those red pretty stocking but is it hard to find what to where with?

16. Noe Farrell says:

Fantastic legs things. I can’t wait to give a try. Thanks Susie fro that wonderful show!

17. anna says:

i love so en! they can do what the hell they like.

18. The stockings are beautiful…!