• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

I've had a few down n' out moments during fashion month.  Moments where I question my own validity, whether I should be there at all and worst of all, when jadedness and cynicism starts creeping in, something that I thought would never happen and try to blank out at all costs.  The pity party however stops right there as I have to truly thank Olivier Saillard, Tilda Swinton and Katerina Jebb for picking me up at just the right point in time with their performance and film revolving around the idea of "The Impossible Wardrobe", presented at the Palais de Tokyo, where collectively we witnessed a moment in fashion that felt pure, free of commerce and high in fashion adulation.

On paper, it was already a performance that was just my speed.  I was a huge fan of Olivier Saillard's performance Dress Like a Man in Florence and he's been building up his portfolio of performance-based dialogues within a fashion context that go hand in hand with his work as museum director of Mus√©e Galliera.  He's seeking to give new perspective on what a fashion show is without actually creating any clothes himself.  By using pre-existing artefacts, he's building up a storied narrative that goes far beyond the thinking of merely "Oh this is my new collection."  Tilda Swinton, of course was the face of the project, a weighty thespian force that really got involved in the conception of the performance, offering up her time to perform three nights in a row at the Palais de Tokyo (tonight will be the last of the performances).  Then there were the clothes themselves as I knew archive pieces from the Mus√©e Galliera would be involved somehow.

Before the performance we were treated to an eight minute film by Katerina Jebb.  Swinton stalks an industrial looking carpark, enters the morgue-like archives of the museum and takes a military jacket worn by Napoleon Bonaparte and begins to scan it, like a detached caretaker or technician.  It's an inward looking reference to Jebb's own scanned-skeletal photographs of clothing.  She breathes in the essence of the jacket, looking for traces of the diminuitive leader.  This clues us into the performance that we're about to see.  Swinton then sits quite still with images of notoble women – Marie Antoinette, Isadora Duncan, Elsa Schiaparelli, Sarah Bernhardt – flashing across her face.  Jebb's quote at the beginning "Reality being nothing more than a projection of ideas" tells us that though we may have the physical artefacts of these deceased figures, they're still intangible to us.  As it turns out, the performance actually seems to refute that point partially but perhaps that's up to the viewer to decide.

That was the teaser.  Then came the main event.  Swinton and Saillard stepped up at the end of the runway, she in a cream calico robe and matching heels and he in a lab coat, each of them designated the role of caretaker and pedestal of these priceless garments.  Saillard would faciliate the unwrapping and handing over of 54 garments and accessories and then Swinton would then proceed to walk down the runway to the other end where a mirror was propped up.  With every piece, every single gesture, expression and movement was laden with freefall interpretation.  It was around 45 minutes of being utterly transfixed by Swinton and the way she interacted with every garment in different ways.

The point was that these clothes could never be worn again but breaking museum convention, they are taken out of their glass cases, dust bags and protective boxes and presented in a way that is mesmerising, taking the viewer into the world of the historic wearer of these garments, that particular time period and more importantly the emotional relationship between clothing and wearer.  It was basically a justification of everything that I believe to be great in fashion – the enchantment of craftsmenship and taking aesthetic pleasure from well-made and innovative design, the emotional attachment to clothing that a person forms through repeated wear, the belief that on a wider level fashion reflects cultural shifts and then on a personal level, that  in clothing reflects your personality, mood and state of mind.  It's reaffirming those things at a time when Saillard feels there is too much fashion, too much imagery in the present fashion system and period of digital flux, with yours truly perhaps contributing to that cacophony.  I'll get to the contradicting dichotomy of that later.

First though to revel in some of the gestures that Swinton performed… (by the by, I don't actually possess this encyclopaedic knowledge.  A ticker tape above Swinton gave us the clothing credits, the owner of the garments (sometimes notable, sometimes annonymous) and the dates of the garments).

It opened with a grossly poof sleeved corset top worn by Cl√©o de M√©rode from Bon March√© dated 1900 and Swinton danced with it as though someone was still in it or she was clutching on to the person who is no longer there.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_1

She holds a Schiaparelli 1950 harlequin opera coat up high giving a deathly stare into the mirror like she is worshipping it.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_2

Certain pieces such as this 1898 embroidered cape were laid out on a canvas covered board, so that instead of emphasising their wearability and past life as a garment, they are presented to us as art pieces to be admired as an object.  We get to marvel at the intricacy of the gold embroidery as well as perhaps mourn the loss of its life as a wearable piece of attire.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_3

Swinton holds a few of the dresses like this 1942 Madame Gr√®s dress to her chest like something that is extremely dear to her as though it were her oxygen tank.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_4

Or she might take a Lanvin 1934 dress, look downwards as if to say "I'm not worthy"

TheImpossibleWardrobe_5

There's a pure look of ecstasy on Swinton's face as she holds a Mariano Fortuny "Delphos" dress as the pleats are resplendent in her arms.  The dress almost looks like a bird in flight.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_6

She holds a bustle cage from 1885 is in front of her and looks at it with curiosity and intent like most of us would I suppose if we were asked to shove this in our skirts in present day.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_7

When she looks in the mirror, from my perspective, I couldn't actually see what she was going and that was part of the intentional mystery because she would stop at the mirror for a good 15 seconds before walking back up to obtain her next piece.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_9

Swinton has a fearful expression as she swings a Kristoff von Drecoll 1905 coat in front of her allowing us to admire the beading going on this dramatic piece.  It was such a visual rush as your eyes diverted from Swinton's face to the garment itself, not knowing who or what was more magnificent.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_10

A pair of 1936 Schiaparelli gloves were paraded around with Swinton giving of a knowing look as if amused by the wit of this surreal seminal piece.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_11

Another piece of Schiaparelli, this time a 1953 shocking pink skirt, worn on the arm like a dramatic cape.  Saillard has in the past played with garments, re-appropriating their intended use and here, he choregraphs those moves again.  It's of course not a real proposition of how to wear pieces but somehow together with Swinton, pieces that are moribund are once again revitalised when placed in a different position on the body.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_13

There were only a few pieces that went beyond 1960.  This Yohji Yamamoto hat from 1993 was held like armour with its structure bouncing up and down.  Another piece that isn't photographed here was a Paco Rabanne dress worn by Bridget Bardotte carried on canvas.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_14

I loved this playful movement of Swinton sashaying around with several Chanel ensembles on the hips, moving with a haughty look and perhaps hinting at the heightened status of a Chanel suit that is still valued today.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_15

A 1900 feathered fan is also held high and lofty above the head.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_16

Swinton is at her most potent when she looks like she is really trying to reclaim the spirit of the people who wore the garments.  Take this lavish Beer coat from 1933.  The peach feathers brush across her face and she looks like she's breathing something lovely and peachy coming from this richly ornate coat.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_17

Saillard did begin by choosing the items for the performance by the notoriety of the wearer with none more famous and significant than Napoleon Bonaparte.  Here Swinton clutches on to his jacket (dated 1805-15) in a surprisingly intimate way (given the fragility of such a garment) but she has a frightened expression.  She went through the motions of sniffing it, curiously prodding it, weighing it up and down and then finally looking like she can't get rid of it fast enough.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_19

A corseted top worn by actress Sarah Bernhardt was also a star item.  This is a ethereal piece that is again, held away from Swinton.  She looks at it with a longing and desire but knows that it can never be truly hers.

TheImpossibleWardrobe_20

By the end of the performance, unlike any other show that I've been to this season, there was a five minute standing ovation as Saillard and Swinton came out to take their bows.  That's a gesture that would previously had been de rigeur at iconic fashion shows from the past – the great shows of Dior, YSL, McQueen to name a few.  I asked Saillard whether he felt that this show was a comment on the state of fashion today, there being a dearth of innovation that yesteryear's fashion clearly had in abbundance.  He was adammant that wasn't the case but could only name a few of the "purists" in fashion today that had relevance for him – Nicolas Ghesquiere, Rei Kawakubo, Azzedine Alaia – that's just a handful of names in the list of thousands of designers.

It's quite a severe attitude to take but one that I admire because it's up to curating talents and fashion historians like Saillard, to strictly edit and filter out the chaff to get to the real wheat.  I, on the other hand can't be quite as purist as that.  I come back to my point about the dichotomy of this performance from my own perspective.  Am I part of the growing chaos that surrounds fashion now?  It was bittersweet clapping away at the end and wiping a tear or two (I wasn't the only one blubbing by the way – Kylie Minogue who was in the audience was properly crying by the end).  I sincerely loved everything I saw and what it represented.  I *think* I understood the purpose and intention of Saillard's work.  And yet, I deduced that perhaps that what I do here on this blog or as a "fashion blogger" was contributing to the problem that Saillard raises with this performance.  I'm still on a high from the whole thing.  However when I come back down to earth, perhaps it's time to reflect upon how do *I* figure out this conundrum.

All photography by Piero Basion.

1. Hang Tran says:

poignant reminder of the glorious past of fashion

2. Miss Coco says:

Simply awsome!!!
    Miss Coco
    UN LOOK MIX DE MIS FAVORITOS!!*****

3. DipItBlack says:

Love it and Tilda is great!

4. Tian says:

Tilda is amazing! Those pieces look stunning.

5. Something to think about is it. . . Have to read again and again cos this is something not new for me but can’t really get words out about fashion turning into circus and i love fashion oh i do just questioning myself again and again can i be a fashion lover without spending more and more money for things i dont need just for fashions sake for outfit of the day sake for the latest shoe trend sake i dont know i dont know. good this things come up even so all these? ? ? Make me dizzy thank you great like always

6. Jemma Jones says:

Very nice insights. Nice blog. x

7. Linda says:

I so appreciate how you brought this. I loved having a chance to “experience” this, at least a little. I am sure actually being there was unbelievably amazing. Thanks for the vicarious taste–would that all of us could have been there!

8. patuxxa says:

Sounds like it was every bit as amazing as I imagined… thank you for this glimpse, the photos are a treasure for all those who could only dream of being there!

9. Martha says:

These pictures are amazing, Tilda Swilton is perfect one to do that!!

10. Nancy says:

Really interesting and amazing idea to make fashion into almost a theatre art. I guess in a way fashion shows are a type of theatre.
    -Nancy

11. Good post man, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using.

12. Sweet Perdition says:

una coleccion increible! me encanta
    pasate por mi blog que tengo nuevo outfit

13. Tara says:

Tilda Swinton is a truly remarkable actress – and a wonderful muse – so, I suppose, it is no wonder she was chosen for such a haunting, affecting role. Each of these photographs contains a piece of a complex, poignant narrative – thank you, Susie, for sharing this!
    Best Wishes,
    Tara

14. Ana says:

The Dress like a Man report is on of my favourite pieces on your site.
    This goes into that group, too, now.
    It’s not the same as experiencing it in real life, but your description made me shiver.

15. Stefany says:

Thank you for posting this. I also struggle not to feel jaded towards the business aspect of fashion, and to try and remain positive about it’s artistic aspects, but money does drive a lot of things and fashion is not an exception unfortunately. So us creative folks always have a struggle to maintain the integrity of the art. But struggle is what makes us stronger. :)

16. Thank you so much for sharing this!

17. The Provoker says:

Oh wow! What a show and what a spectacle! With the name “impossible wardrobe” I actually thought of the “perfect wardrobe” that is of my dreams being created and updated constantly with unlimited funds. I’ve just got featured in The Fashion Network, it’s my biggest one yet since my blog’s not even a year old. I’d appreciate it if you’d take the time to tell me what you think and check it out, my answers are quite interesting ;)
    xx The Provoker

18. Belline says:

today’s bloggers are like the politicians that contested for U.S. seats before Obama came around. ‘How can we not meddle with lobbyists?’ ‘That’s how it’s done…’ ‘I put my time into this, I deserve to be renumerated somehow, or for my campaign to be…’ ‘I will give you a handshake in public but in return you must…’ Soon noone could argue, and things that were clearly wrong came to be seen as right because that’s how everyone did them.
    I hope when the Obama of fashion blogging comes around (a new or transformed blogger?), the world would listen. It’s quite disheartening that our generation is falling into the same mistakes of our parents’ and grandparents’, just as we are given the chance to rewrite the rules, many at such a young age.

19. EllynSheyr says:

This is beautifully written! So descriptive to the point where I, the reader, feel that we were physically there experiencing the performance with you. The points you raised certainly makes the mind ponder.

20. I thought that these blog would not be so informative, but after reading the blog i can say it was really informative.

21. Roddy Jones says:

I love how the model has on white jacket and either holding clothes in front or on hangers. Great blog!

22. Sari Purdy says:

What a collection! I must confess that they are very appealing. I love her wardrobe.

23. I love the collection. Some are like robes, some are pretty dresses, but they are all stunning.

24. Laveena says:

Susie, you are to me the best blogger in the world and as a good blogger you have made fashion a little simpler to grasp, understand and appreciate, or else it is something that slides into elitist territory for a mass audiences like me. Without your efforts and perspective, we wouldn’t be able to relate to most of the unique designs out there that you gave us a peek into. You opened a world of art and aesthetics to us and I don’t want to sound corny or cliche, but we will forever be grateful. I can empathise with you that you feel jaded and question what you do but your contribution to fashion is so great and it should never be questioned but lauded and cheered for, and for that I want to thank you, for all your hard work. You are great.

25. Noe Farrell says:

Your write up is always amazing Susie. Some are completely impossible for wardrobes and others are really beautiful and charming, I like your hard work in your stuff;sounds so cool, keep up!

26. Wow! Such an incredible outfit! You are really tough dealing with such a stuff. I like the photos, looks so charming and making them fashionable here was a great work you did.Bravo!!!

27. You really tried on such a design and I congratulate you on that, rare do you find designers perfect on such outfits, they really seem tough job. They are really amazing and I love elegant outlook, very stunning indeed, keep up!

28. What a fabulous step back into the history of fashion. Would love to have seen this show. The photos are amazing – you’ve captured the occasion so well!

29. elena says:

I wish I was there to watch it live, I’ve always loved fashion performances over shows , I like the idea of mixed media , theater and fashion as art.
    great review Susie
    Love ELena

30. iaminki says:

i love. Tilda so much!

31. sophie says:

what a thrill, thanks so much for this, must have been INCREDIBLE! A moment of blissful stillness and reflection………..appreciate your comments on the juggernaut…will look forward to your post op thoughts…

32. Well, I think everyone has different perceptions on this issue and we should not criticize anyone for his acts. Everybody has right to live and do what he likes to do.

33. patricia says:

great show!!! pics are amazing

34. Camille says:

Simply awesome ! These photos take the breath away!
    Camille du site http://missscoiattollo.wordpress.com/

35. I love Tilda Swinton. She’s so intense!!
    Greetings from Santiago, Chile.
    Twitter: @cristianpavezd
    Facebook: http://on.fb.me/uywe6X

36. Anna says:

I love Tilda Swinton, and the idea is also great.

37. Jass Siani says:

YEahh that was nice….Tilda SWinton is just awsome.

38. Susie,
    Excellently written…like I was there…..Wonderful event to witness ! My daughter has taken your pic many times as she is a trend forecaster and “fashion blogger”.
    I forwarded this to her as your viewpoint on the event, the now, the future of fashion blogging
    and the “conundrum” of it all is something we have discussed many times.
    Brava !!! Thank you for this !!
    A father who loves fashion….

39. Wizard Jeans says:

WIN a pair of figure fixing Wizard Jeans… all you have to do is like us on facebook – http://www.facebook.com/WizardJeansUK

40. Thanks for sharing a great post

41. Lynkez says:

Unique and cute designs you offer! I love fuchsia and won’t mind having one for my wardrobe.
    Tilda doe for me best though, thanks for keeping us posted.