• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

>> I've had numerous conversations with women who readily admit to stashing away boxes of ribbons, buttons, old bits of stationery, fabric scraps and any other bits and pieces that might come useful on a "rainy day" when we might suddenly take to a spot of customising, decoupage or collage scrapbooking.  The truth is those days rarely come and the boxes sort of pile up and fester into a heap that mocks you  with its pointless messiness (apparently I'm an authority on the subject according to the Guardian).  I have a bag of letters and notes which I've kept because I thought the envelopes and papers were interesting.  There's another bag stuffed full of ribbon bought in various markets and haberdashery stores.  They should be gracing a dress or a shirt as a trim but I haven't got round to it yet.  There's also a box of embroidered samples that are all too small to do anything with but just look nice when you lay them all out on the floor.  Totally legitimate reason for hoarding all of this stuff.

A simpler solution would be to have a flick through these books which I picked up in Tokyo.  Published by the same company Seibundo Shinkosha, when translated through Chrome, the titles are quite literally "Pretty Paper Things Over the World" and "Asian Cute Embroidery".  No confusion as to what the subject matter is, right?  These weren't nearly as specific as some of the other books I saw – books purely on airline meals, on tools used by a shoe maker, on how to give a dog a hair cut – I'm not entirely sure how any of this gets published and makes money but who cares when I can now flick through books purely dedicated to the things that I'm squirelling away in boxes.  In Pretty Paper Things Over the World, stationery, packaging and all sort of printed paraphernalia from the world are showcased with pictures.  I can't of course read the text so to me, it serves no purpose other than a good half an hour can be spent getting giddy on pretty paper things.

IMG_9591

IMG_9611

IMG_9594

IMG_9596

IMG_9598

IMG_9599

IMG_9601

IMG_9604

IMG_9605

IMG_9606

IMG_9609

The book about embroidery from Asia is perhaps a bit more substantial and relevant.  Japan, China and India are well represented with many embroidery examples that are beautifully photographed as well as offerings from smaller countries.  It's a book of deets to marvel at and for one for the textile nerds to get stuck into.

IMG_9612

IMG_9630

IMG_9631

IMG_9632

IMG_9633

IMG_9634

1. Elisa says:

I love how you can find very,very topic-specific book in Japan and in Korea, it seems like they get obsessed with unusual things and then make a book out of it, which is great. I love random books. I should install a shelf dedicated to them, for inspiration.
    Elisa – Wandering Minds

2. Ying says:

For flat objects, you should start collecting them in a book. It can be an actual notebook or just a sturdy magazine. I did that with the museum ticket stubs that I saved. It saved me so much space and helped me declutter a whole corner in my closet. Plus, this way the collection would actually be looked at.

3. Kit says:

I’m an extreme hoarder, I still keep fabric (mostly leather) and trimming scraps from the uni days, wouldn’t dare throw them away thinking that one day it would be useful for future projects. It’s been 8 years and I still haven’t got round to using them yet :S

4. Ania says:

I’m also a kind of person who keeps all the ribbons, laces and pieces of fabrics in one big box. although I soemtimes have an idea what to do about it, ususally it just lay in the box..
    that book seems to be amazing! I love those patterns! xx

5. kristen says:

!!!! I need to go to Japan

6. Isa says:

The pages with the lace and the elaborately-patterned fabrics are especially beautiful… I just want to make them into clothes, or shoes, or hang them in billows from the ceiling!
    Oh, and scrapbooking=the solution to all of the above hoarding problems (as long as the things you hoard are mostly 2D).

7. Liz.L says:

Loving your blog I seriously can’t get enough of it! It always puts a smile on my face and lets me in on the latest.
    (shelovesitdotme.wordpress.com)

8. Angela says:

I stopped collecting odds and ends because I would clearout and realise that I have not and will use them, even though in the back of my mind I think may do. However, having seen the books you display I might have to start collecting them instead! Great post!

9. Tara says:

The little trinkets, fabrics and prints festooned across the pages of these books are simply divine. But now I cannot help but wonder: how does one go from the mounds of paper-goods, card-thingy-ma-bobs, cuts of fabric and all my other hoarded “gems” to pieces of art like the ones that currently have me in awe?
    Best Wishes,
    Tara

10. Taylor says:

I love the book and its layout… whoever thought of publishing it was definitely onto a winning idea! Love this post :)
    Taylor x

11. Caroline says:

Those books are so great. Yup, I’m definitely guilty of stashing those pretty papers and bits of fabric (you should see my stationary collection). Don’t know if I an give all that up just yet…..
    xo
    girlintheyellowdress.com

12. Nice post to read. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep up the great work i’ll be visiting to your blog.

13. claUDIA says:

I would buy one but i cannot understand anything of the chinese alphabet ;( It can be aproblem also ordering it! any good edition in Italian,English,French or German?

14. Susann Akers says:

Before I started blogging I was an avid scrap booker. So seeing the all those books with all the lovely scrappy pictures got me thinking that I should sort through some of my scraps and may be to do a a couple of pages.
    Those masks are a bit creepy actually. Great post though and thanks for awakening my scrap booking urge

15. Victoria says:

Wow, looking really good ! Nice style !!

16. That book sure is charming. I love the designs… the patterns are looking good.

17. Sari Purdy says:

Beautiful patterns. I really like the book.

18. Lynkez says:

That book seems to have it all to do with fashions and design styles. I wish I traveled to Japan for shopping.

19. Janni says:

Great pictures! Scrapbooking is the most addicting thing ever :)
    janniandfionas.blogspot.com