I have very little to impart about shopping in New York, despite the frequent number of times I'm there.  I refuse to deviate from my well rehearsed routine of munching on dumplings from Vanessa's, spending at least an hour at Opening Ceremony, rifling through racks of Tokio 7 and queueing up for a lonesome bowl of ramen at Ippudo.  There are some places that are blindingly obvious addresses to New Yorker that I've yet to frequent.  One of them is New York Vintage, a store, which W cites as being one of New York's vintage best and is comparable to say a Rellik or Virginia's in London; i.e. so well-established that you could well pass it by.  Remember that "bird" perched on top of Carrie Bradshaw's head as she crumpled and quivered in her Vivienne Westwood wedding dress in the divisive film spin off (More4 – STOP with the SATC film repeats – at least have the decency to repeat the TV series)?  That was sourced from New York Vintage.

Upon my first visit there over the weekend, the gentleman working there was kind enough to let me rifle through rails quite freely, letting me into the secret back area as well as undoing tassels and "Do Not Touch" ropes.  Organised by decade, New York Vintage is a fine emporium with excellent examples of pretty much everything going back to late Victorian.  I was particularly seduced by their selection of Edwardian lawn dresses – all cream lace, broderie anglaise and yellowed embroidery.  What got me really excited though was finding a piece by Claire McCardell.  Depending on just how enthusiastic you are about American fashion design history, you're either rabidly hyperventilating or the name just doesn't ring a bell.  I came across an enduring image of McCardell's jersey bubble shorts and strapless bikini a few years ago which led me to read this 1955 Time magazine profile about her work and the development of the "American" look.  Therefore when I read the Claire McCardell label on this pleated sundress c. early 1950s, I had to pump my fists silently.

IMG_0726-1

IMG_0730-2

IMG_0732-4

IMG_0731-3
Vintage Claire McCardell dress worn with Vika Gazinskaya muff, Prada shoes and sunglasses

McCardell could conceivably be called the first American designer to create a wholly and "American look".  Valerie Steele, chief curator of F.I.T. Museum (I finally got to meet this personal heroine of mine last season at a Lanvin show) says "We look at her as the founder of democratic American fashion," shortly after the museum staged a show entitled "Claire McCardell and the American Look" back in 1998.  McCardell's contribution can't be understated given that she laid the foundations for designers like Calvin Klein and Donna Karan to later solidify the cornerstones of American sportswear.

McCardell singularly wanted to free the American woman, presenting solutions for life as she knew it.  Her love of the outdoors  gave way to wool jersey hoods when she went skiing and wraps made out of tweed.  The busy housewives post WWII were given popover dresses that came with matching oven mitts.  She designed, not for herself, but for a company calledTownley Frocks (she also briefly worked for Hattie Carnegie) from 1931 up until 1958, in a price bracket that when compared to the likes of Dior or Charles James was comparatively affordable – a cotton sundress was $40 in 1955.  Whilst "casual" style underlined McCardell's designs, under our contemporary gaze, we can see the precise construction (see the super sharp pleats on the dress I bought, one of McCardell's signatures) and decorative detailing that is a far cry from our "casual" clothes.  She tried to steer clear of the copycat syndrome that pervaded American fashion at the time, where designers would look to Paris for ideas, and instead established her own language of McCardell-isms.  That said, she was a life long admirer of Vionnet but even then, the bias cut of those lavish evening gowns was transplanted to day dresses in jersey, denim and calico.

Her main contributions include the 1938 "Monastic" dress, a much copied easy-to-wear dress shape which fell free into a trapeze from the shoulders but could be belted in for a more fitted silhouette, the introduction of the "diaper" bathing suit as well as staring a trend for fabric Capezio ballet slippers as she rejected heels.  Other McCardell-isms such as trouser pockets, spaghetti ties and workwear fastenings seem like insignificant details today, but were womenswear firsts at the time.  Just the mere idea of separates was something that McCardell played with as she created different tops to go with slacks, skirts or shorts.  Her ideas solved practical problems that we don't have to deal with today.  McCardell commented in her self-penned book What shall I wear? (getting republished in the UK next month) ''Most of my ideas seem startlingly self-evident. I wonder why I didn't think of them before.''  Her fame didn't endure beyond the fifties but her innovations of modern day casual sportswear are probably in most of our wardrobes.

Clairemc0

Clairemc14

Clairemc15

Clairemc16

Clairemc17

Clairemc18

Clairemc
Images sourced from House of White Bridal, Sweet Jane Vintage (consisting of scans from Claire McCardell: Redefining Modernism by Kohle Yohannan), The Red List, The Vintage Traveler, Met Museum Collections, FIDM Museum, Fashion Historia

1. this is very beautiful xx chennie

2. liz says:

gorgeous! that green thing i so fun!!

3. Anna Lou says:

Love your look!
    Check out my outfit post from today, wearing quilted leather jacket, embroidered slippers and Ray-Bans:
    Anna Lou X

4. Nataya says:

Love the colors, vintage, and at the same time your outfit and others seem all comfy to wear and modest

5. wow, I’ve got serious dress envy! Love the bag too, a great look (and you’re so lucky to have found that dress!)

6. Marie says:

What a great outfit, really, I think this is one of my fave outfits of yours! :) And I love the inspirational photos.
    Lots of love, Marie

7. Pretty accessories, beautiful boots, a nice outfit.
    Love, unicorns and glitter on you. <3
    Florian,
    like-enchanted.com

8. Natalie says:

Lovely!
    maisieivy.blogspot.co.uk/

9. Isa says:

Glad I’m not the only one waiting for bubble shorts to be in again! Also, this is one of my favorite dresses of yours that I’ve seen!

10. Rania says:

Love your ‘vintage Claire Mc Cardell’ dress.. I love the colour-mix of green and blue :)

11. regina says:

you are so couture!

12. Lolz what about all those famous lookbookers that have those fake PRADA creepers from choices and still call them PRADA? No way hosay.

13. Jessica says:

I’m obsessed with the shape of that bikini… As in… I HAVE TO create my own.
    Thanks so much for this, I never thought the 1950s were all that cool until now.
    The Lovelorn

Erm… not sure what you’re saying? Are you saying you’re seen a lot of people wearing fake Prada creepers or that the ones I’m wearing looking fake… because a) they aren’t and b) how is the comment relevant?

15. Hans says:

Wow, a lot has changed since then :) Lovely post, quite inspirational!

16. Wee Birdy says:

OK, so I’m in the rabidly hyperventilating camp. What a find! And you’re wearing it superbly, naturally (wonder what Claire would make of your creepers?).
    Dying to get to New York Vintage. Do you mind letting me know what kind of ballpark starting price you’re looking at (say for an anon ’50s cotton frock)? I’m terrified it’s all prohibitively expensive. [insert sad face]

17. Wee Birdy says:

p.s. amazing archive pics, too. Thank you so much for posting!

18. Tomasz says:

Jestem pod ogromnym wrażeniem przedstawionych przez ciebie zdjęć. Nigdy czegoś takiego jeszcze nie widziałem. No chyba, że na jakimś filmie z lat 50. Przyznać muszę, że jedno zdjęcie szczególnie mi się podoba. :)

19. Adore your outfit.
    Fab images too. Great vintage vibe :)
    x

20. INTIZ says:

Love your Look Susie :)

21. Robyn says:

I really would love to live in New York!
    P.S. I love your shoes!!!

22. What a fantastic find – the colours are amazing. I became a lifelong devotee of McCardell-isms after reading “What Shall I Wear?” The flats, the pockets: I knew this was a woman who understood how I wanted to dress.
    I’m really pleased that it’s being reprinted as the price of the original edition is now so prohibitive but I urge people to try and see the first edition if they haven’t already, and if they can find a copy. It’s bound in an equally eye-popping combination of turquoise and gold and the margins and page tops and bottoms are illustrated with wonderful rows of sketchy, spiky, stick people by McCardell: will these make it into the reprint I wonder?
    Will stop hyper-ventilating to say I really enjoyed this post – thanks!

23. Lauren says:

I am so excited about this designer! I always thought the fifties were boring but this proves me very wrong! Love the dress with the huge bow at the waist!!
    Love,
    -Lauren at adorn la femme

24. Hannah says:

these pictures are so interesting! I wish i could pull of interesting clothes and be original like you. you are such an inspiration

25. helen cherry says:

All outfits are so amazing!Also i liked all the pictures!Everything is laid down so perfectly!Well,i love the stripped clothes,your green and blue stripy dress is so cute!This post is very interesting!Really a good one!

26. One of the great facets of travel is discovering or experiencing first hand cultural history, especially when it comes to fashion. Great photos and a very interesting insight into Claire McCardell. Many thanks
    Zoe xx

27. Ceri says:

I would love to visit the vintage shops of New York one day. This dress is great and really interesting to learn about Claire McCardell. Will definitely have to check out the book. The dress looks great!

28. Tayef says:

“International shipping from USA to UK. US mail forwarding to UK. You shop – we ship to you. Ebay, Amazon, Apple…any store. We are cheap, fast and helpful! http://www.myusaparcel.com or email us at myusaparcel.com”

29. Sarah says:

I admit to having mixed feelings about McCardell’s designs — they look great on the mannequins, but I can’t help but think that her typical technique of “make it really loose-fitting and then belt it” must have resulted in clothes that fit all, but didn’t flatter all…

30. The Minx says:

this is fantastic! love pleats, and mccardell’s bubbled silhouettes are the stuff of legend. also digging your furry green muff, it’s kind of perfect :)

31. Tomasz says:

Bardzo interesujące zdjęcia choć wydaje mi się, że mało która kobieta włożyłaby coś takiego na siebie. Moda na przestrzeni lat bardzo mocno się zmieniła i nadal przechodzi metamorfozę. :)
    Salut. :)