• Sasquatchfabrix S4 pyjama look
  • Pleats Please roses
  • Karaoke dunce cc @tommyton @Steve_Salter @junsukeyamasaki @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima
  • Karaoke Queens @mrstreetpeeper @rila_fukushima !!!
  • Hiding in plain sight @craigandkarl X @lespecs_eyewear #sakura

>> I do apologise for the mish mash streetstyle photo nicking.  I'm always slightly curious as to how personal style fashion bloggers manage to fit seemingly elaborate-looking and impromptu photo shoots of their outfits during fashion week.  I on the other hand am always running, on the phone, looking for cabs or stuffing a sandwich down my gullet.  A spare minute is usually spent ducking into Starbucks to charge the phone (I've taken to carrying no less than three phones at fashion weeks).  Hopefully, I've fully credited everyone for bothering to take my pic.

Speaking of which, I suppose I'm further committing the sins that this part brilliant, part disconcerting T Magazine article by Suzy Menkes highlights, about the ridiculous circus that goes on outside fashion shows, along with some pretty telling comments.  Brilliant, because although Menkes isn't the first to write such an article, her weight brings the issue to the forefront and has been encouraging analysis and dialogue (so many people in New York have been coming up to me going "Did you read that article?" and asking me for my opinion).  Disconcerting because I'm mentioned in the article in passing as the "sharp Susie Bubble" but the overall context doesn't exactly cast myself and others in a favourable light.  I do want to address this issue after fashion week hub hub has died down as I haven't quite figured how I feel yet but for now, I suppose I have nothing to do except to go right ahead and confirm Menkes' exact suspicions; that we are all peacocking, however much we doth protest.  No outrage.  No line of defence.  Just a muted response of more incessant picture snapping and "Look at me and what I'm wearing today!"

Although, I do to have to thank the ever lovely Isabelle OC for very kindly coming to my defence on Twitter, with a comment that I'll try to bear in mind as I inevitably overanalyse the ramifications of Menkes' article… "I've always thought of you as a (well-dressed) workhorse rather than a showpony."

Suzie Bubble 2

Urban Fieldnotes

Wearing Michael Angel latex coat, J Brand x Christopher Kane neon jacket, J Brand coral dress, Kaal e Suktae skirt, Miista brogues, 3.1 Phillip Lim white Pashli tote, Miista shoes, Topshop necklace

1302112902_hg_full_lStreetFSN for Grazia.It

3.1 Phillip Lim NYFW An Unknown Quantity Street Style Blog10An Unknown Quantity

ASOS White denim top and jeans, Prada creepers, Michael Angel latex coat, J Brand denim jacket, 3.1 Phillip Lim white Pashli tote

Nyfw-fw2013-street-style-day4-18_135129843880Phil Oh for Vogue.com

A_5x (1) I'm Koo for The Cut

Thu Thu jacket and dress, Hudson camouflage jeans, 3.1 Phillip Lim drawstring bag, Vika Gazinskaya muff, Westward Leaning sunglasses, vintage feathered hat

A_4.5xI'm Koo for The Cut

Acne leather jacket, Marc Jacobs camel vest, DKNY x Opening Ceremony bodysuit, Kaelen stripy skirt, Victoria Beckham envelope bag

1302134096_hg_full_lStreetFSN for Grazia.It

Image_005 (1)
Tommy Ton for Style.com

Vintage Kenzo sweater, Ganryu Comme des Garcons hat, Rag & Bone bag, Ostwald Helgason trousers, Nicholas Kirkwood shoes

1. Julia says:

Totally agree with Isabelle and have honestly never included you in that group of showponies.

2. Emily says:

I read Menkes’ article and while I do agree that many bloggers and fashion folk in general emphasize the “look at me” aspect of fashion week, I can’t help but thinking it rang a bit bitter… the times are changing and obviously the foundation of fashion week/shows/fashion journalism is also going to change. I respect her opinion, but I don’t think dismissing the new generation as a bunch of lightweight wannabe models is really the way to go. Of course, I am no expert! Simply an initial reaction I had.

3. GIAA says:

Such great looks, especially love the “denim” one!

4. Tanya says:

I agree with Isabelle. I think your writing style is an asset that sets you apart from other bloggers. So few make the effort to cobble more than two paragraphs about how fashion is relevant to them.

5. We like Eastern Asian looks. So pretty, so smart (and funiest at the same time)

6. milex says:

The first picture is all I care about today

7. Maki says:

The outfits are just great OMG!

8. Joy. says:

Well spoken! I also see you as somebody who dress up for herself and not for others and streetstyle photographers!I always love you in bright colors!
    With love,
    Joy
    justlikesushi.com

9. lady vintage says:

Stunning styles! very nice blog!Adore it all!

10. Dulcie says:

It’s only natural that people outside of fashion’s inner inner circle wish to participate in the excitement of Fashion Week in various small ways. Condemning public engagement just reeks of superiority to me and Fashion Week is a visual spectacle so why criticise others for participating in the ‘peacocking’? It’s all just a part of the fun and creativity!

11. Couteau says:

Unlike the average Russian showpony, you look comfortable and warm.
    Also, it is your job. I’m often shocked by fashion illiterate models and careerist editors. That pre and post show frenzy does give prominence to those with a genuine interest in fashion, how is that a bad thing?
    The rule also applies to Suzy Menkes, who is quite the peacock herself. Is she threatened by the new Susie on the block? Doesn’t look very good…

12. Couteau says:

Unlike the average Russian showpony, you look comfortable and warm.

13. christina says:

if someone has a PhD on mixing prints thats you girl!
    keep rockin the world with your mind blowing style!!!
    Bisous from STYLE FEST

14. Mambo says:

I love the denim outfit. It’s so creative!

15. QM says:

It is, without a doubt, a complete circus outside fashion shows now but things change. To keep harking back to the ‘good old days’ is tiresome. I also would say that not all bloggers are created equal. To compare yourself to Bryanboy, and his ilk, I feel is an unfair and somewhat cruel comparison.
    She is also forgetting/glossing over the fact that bloggers merely offer an opinion – they are not claiming to be fashion authorities. But if brands/labels feel that bloggers have value, then that’s how the industry as a whole is changing. Bloggers don’t hold brands or labels to ransom. We haven’t kidnapped their children and made them work with us. It’s just how the industry is changing. Times move on and not everyone wants to get onboard, as clearly Ms Menkes has shown, but it won’t stop the train.

16. Couteau says:

Unlike the average Russian showpony, you look warm and comfortable.
    Also, it’s your job. I’m always surprised by models who are fashion illiterate and careerist editors. If the pre and post show frenzy gives more prominence to real aficionados, how’s that a bad thing?
    In the article, Suzy Menkes -quite the peacock herself- hints at her generation’s culture. You were supposed to be an impartial viewer, which doesn’t actually make for a very interesting read and for that reason magazines are struggling.
    Aside from the fact that the article seems like it was written about 2 years ago -has she even heard of Rookie Magazine?- the writer does seem uneasy about the new susies on the block.

17. Desiree says:

i’ve felt in love with the latex coat!
    always adore your fresh and vibrants looks

18. While I agree with many points in Menkes’ article, I also agree with QM that you should never be compared to Bryanboy. Although you could be seen as someone who does some “peacocking”, you are also a great blogger with integrity. I’ve followed the blog for many years and I am always impressed that you’ve maintained the same quality and quantity of content over the years (unlike Bryanboy, who now just posts videos and photos of himself.) Personally, I’m not a huge fan of looking at bloggers’ style diaries, but I read Style Bubble for your stories, opinions, features, and your unending enthusiasm for seeking out the new, exciting young brands. Those are precisely the things that are lacking with a lot of the bloggers these days, and if anything, you should be commended for writing articles that actually have something interesting to day.

19. Lena says:

I don’t quite understand when does one become a fashion professional? a buyer like me is a fashion professional, okay, I get invitations to shows and showrooms…but so do the bloggers…they won’t be buying – on a contrary, getting free stuff – but I have never looked down on any blogger with disrespect similar to Suzy Menkes’ because if a designer or a brand considers it important to invite a fashion blogger to a show then they should be considered fashion professionals too. bloggers (are, erm, bloggers) are not critics or journalists, but they do promote fashion.
    whomever likes to pose in front of photographers is welcome to do so, and whomever likes to wear black or hide behind a corner is welcome to do so too. I think that in fashion there’s enough place for everyone. and just maybe the mastermind of fashion creation is not given to everyone, but no one has a right to call ‘rediculous’ the fact of wearing those creations in public.
    another thing i’m puzzled about is when did fashion become academic? or institutional? does everyone have to graduate from Antwerp to be called a designer? or are fashion journalists who are working for established publications should have more important opinions than bloggers? honestly, I do rather read you, Susie – your blog with a very open-minded view on fashion than Elle Belgique – a very ‘institutional’ magazine down here in Brussels,full of narrow-minded so-called journalists who can’t even spell.
    this article touches on too many subjects to most of which I disagree – not disrespect – just disagree. and I don’t know what I or any of my customers or colleagues do with fashion if we couldn’t look at eachother or at bloggers or at anyone, if we couldn’t do the ‘look at me’ thing. yep, we’d probably be blind and bored and wear black.

20. kate says:

Like those before me I agree with the comment on twitter,
    I’ve never classed you as a showpony and believe me when I say I toss about 98% of the bloggers I see in that category. I have always defended you as being genuine and true to your style and voice, witty and very intellegent who cares more about the fashion, the designers and i facts than the popularity contest and 15 minutes of styleblog fame that the rest of them seem so caught up in. I value your opinion and the effort you put in your blog, how you nurture and mention young and rising talents and give us information and not just imagery. Something that is so lost in the blogging world today. I hate when I see a post from a supposedly ‘taste-making and influential’ blogger that simply is a picture of their new purchase and a brief description of how in love with it they are. it makes me cringe.
    So, after all that, THANK YOU. keep staying true to yourself. You dress for you, your style, your way. not for the photographers, the fame or the likes and we love you for that smart susie!
    X KATE

21. Shug Avery says:

I can see the point of Suzy Menkes’article but at the same time I disagree. It seems like she doesn’t care about the fact that there are different genres in fashion blogging. Some are for imagery, some for personal style blogging, some put more reflections by writing about new designers or their thoughts about the fashion world, in brief fashion blogging is so wide that I find it very restrictive to put everybody in the same shoes. Instead of blaming the changes that are occuring in the fashion world now, I think it should be wiser embracing them and take the good from it.
    Shug Avery of Incognito

22. m says:

My goodness. No matter how many people make a living off it (myself included) it’s just fashion.
    maybe it is a circus, but fashion is a circus! It’s about spectacle, about novelty becoming old when a trend becomes too wide spread. Fashion is just that. All the “crows” as Menkes puts it, hanging around outside the shows, were just part of the same cycle. Showing off that they were a fashion elite – in the know cuz they wear Kawakubo.
    Who cares if people want to show off what they wear, go ‘OTT’ with crazy outfits – doesn’t it validate the work of the designer even more? Why is elegant/black/chic better than dressing in a personal, fun, way? Is this a battle of intellectual elitists trying to distance themselves of ‘clothes hangers’ who they deem superficial? There’s so much elitism and pretension in fashion – the article just drives the point home even further. Different strokes for different folks.

23. Lena says:

I don’t want to bore you with a long rant, but I imagined a James Bond-esque scenario, re-written in a fashion sense with Suzy Menkes in the role of M.
    M: -” Spare the Russians and the Chinese, kill the rest
    …oh, and don’t forget to bitch-slap Susie Bubble.”
    and I wrote my letter to M here: http://www.origamimonami.blogspot.be/2013/02/i-was-imagining-james-bond.html

24. Tokyo UP says:

suzy menkes definitely has her lord grantham hat on but in time, i think she’ll come around. to her credit, i’ll be the first to admit that change sucks especially when you’re comfortable. what sucks even more is not having any control over said change(s). you just sit like a duck and watch it happen…
    as far as everything else that she states in that column of hers – mehhhh. i’ve never been a big fan of the fashion industry’s exclusivity/hierarchy/gatekeepers and have appreciated the proliferation of ideas, opinons and styles that have surfaced with the advent of blogging. whereas fashion used to feel so guarded (aka boring and staid), now it feels fresh and relevant.
    susie-san, i think your blog is clever, well-written and informative for the fashionista, design junky and pop cultural aficionado.i don’t know much about ‘peacocking’ but one might contend it is a prime symptom of mountain-out-of-molehill syndrome.
    lastly – that menkes tries to make an example out of the fact that she was dressed in cdg/yy is pretentious because no matter what the fashion magazines say, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ in fashion. it’s one giant social construct. so we might as well have fun with it!
    keep on, keepin’ on! xo