"The sun is giving you energy and you are growing! Stretch your arms up, as far as they will go! Higher, taller, stronger... you're a proud sunflower!" You'd think I wouldn't be in a hurry to revisit the "You're a sunflower!" exercise that practically every year 7 student had to do in drama class in this country. I sucked at it. I was too embarrassed and too overly self conscious to be convincing. I used to look at the confident drama buffs who got really into it and wonder whether I would ever "grow" and get rid of my awkward pigeon-footed stance and well... BE a sunflower.
A few days ago, my friend Tweeted me to say that there was a giant billboard outside East Finchley tube station, where a) I used to live and b) got mugged by the badass girls from another comprehensive school when I was 13, and here I am - a giant sunflower and looking somewhat confident, if not a little insane. The explanation for all of this? I'm very excited to be part of Vitamin Water's latest #SHINEBRIGHT campaign depicting their Sunshine yellow drink, alongside other creative luminaries including Mikey Trapstar of streetwear brand Trapstar London, Paris-based stylist and artist Lisa Gachet of the very cool lifestyle blog Make My Lemonade and Danish blogger Trine Kjaer of Trine's Wardrobe.
It was a pretty wild shoot experience, japing around with Matt Irwin the photographer and the lovely Anna Trevelyan, who was the stylist for the campaign and was responsible for commissioning this amazing Piers Atkinson petal headpiece, which surrounds my face. All of my drama class inhibitions were finally released in the ultimate sunflower excercise of all - balancing myself in a flower pot, posing by a giant plastic Vitamin Water bottle, covered in plastic flowers and bugs and looking like I'm having the best time of my life. Hah! Move over drama buffs. I, too can well... err... SHINE BRIGHT!
Flower pots, petal headdresses and japes aside, the campaign has an initiative behind it which is that every campaign participant will have their own competitions to find people to collaborate with them and work with them on a special task or project. My #SHINEBRIGHT opportunity will be to offer one person the chance to attend two days of London Fashion Week with me, this coming September, going to shows, seeing how I run around like a headless chicken, assist in writing up/blogging, and generally experiencing how a show is put together, meeting designers backstage and seeing what I do to get content during the shows.
Essentially it will be like a fast-paced intense internship slash shadowing experience. It's significant only because I have NEVER had anybody work with me on Style Bubble. I've never taken on interns or assistants. I've ALWAYS worked by myself. People find it a bit dumb that I still work by myself considering I do get internship applications on a daily basis. It's a combination of the fear of handing over responsibility, clashing with their personalities or even disappointing said intern. This is therefore kind of a big deal for me. I'm doing my utmost to ensure that it will be a pleasant if a little chaotic two days for whoever wins!
The challenge then to enter this competition to be my London Fashion Week companion/collaborator/observer - whatever you want to call it is to...
- Follow one of these Twitter handles - @vitaminwater_uk, @vitaminwater_dk, @vitaminwater_se (whichever is relevant...
- Tweet me @susiebubble with a photo depicting your summer must-have of 2013 of your creative choice. Emphasis on creative. Oh and "must-have" doesn't necessarily have to mean trendy clothing or accessories. To use an odious marketing phrase, I am looking for some "out-of-the-box" thinking.
- Include the hashtag #shinebright in your tweet.
- Winners will be contacted via direct message from Vitamin Water (so make sure you follow them as you can't receive the DM's otherwise...) within two weeks of the competition close date.
Here are the T's and C's as there alway are in comps like this (full outline here).
- You must be over 18 to ever.
- All people who enter must reside in Denmark, France, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden or the United Kingdom of course. Those who enter from outside of these countries won't be considered unfortunately.
- The entry cut-off date is 16th August 2013.
- The price includes flights or trains from wherever you're from, one night in a hotel and food and all non-alcoholic beverages (although it's likely there will be free alchoholic beverages at some point - it IS fashion week afterall...).
**Disclosure** Just in case it wasn't blindingly obvious, this is of course a commercial campaign and project that I'm participating in.