>> I've got a few biggie posts to toil on and sweaty and stormy London isn't helping sleep patterns settle back down to normal.  Thankfully whilst I'm trying to get my shit back together post LA getaway, people are kind enough to email me and say "Hi, I exist!"  One such person is Frida Wannerberger, whose work I remember seeing on the most excellent, always useful 1 Granary blog.  Born in Sweden and based in London, Wannerberger has just graduated from Central Saint Martins in graphic design BA.  Immediately the cutesy macabre (or is that macabrely cute?) aesthetic of Japanese artist Yoshitomo Nara and his love of strange proportioned bodies, comes to mind.  Wannerberger though obviously has a sensibility for fashion which seeps into her work.  Fabrics, textures and silhouettes only serve to enhance Wannerberger's drawings as she applies a distorted childlike signature to the way she draws facial expressions and body stances.  I especially love this editorial spread she illustrated for 1 Granary magazine featuring dresses by Mary Katrantzou, Giles and Christopher Kane.  True, the clothes aren't immediately recognisable but it's the overall composition and spirit of her drawings which (errr…excuse the pun) draw you in.  Her animation work is also a bit magic too, captioned with direct no-nonsense statements "Frida wants to go to the opera and see lovely ladies' fur and glitter."  Right you are, Frida.  I know the exact feeling…

Gloria

3notebooks

Heidi_GIF2

Lake-Night-Stories_GIF

1. ian bird says:

Lovely, lovely work!

2. Jana H. says:

I think it’s an interesting work, made with lots of love, and passion. A few of the “pieces” are not that easy for me to look at, but I love the concept.
    Jana

3. jezz, great work, i’m in love with her stuff <3

4. Wow..it’s so inspiring, it’s really good to see stuff on your blog so different from all plastic, commercial, thank,s. So cool :)

5. Haru Wilde says:

I’m glad I discovered Frida’s work thanks to you! I’m a fan of Nara Yoshimoto, and the feeling of their work has a similar weirdness and cuteness to it. I love it.

6. Maggie says:

Such interesting work, love it.
    -Maggie

7. Katie says:

Wonderful description of Wannerberger’s work, thank you for introducing me to it! The influence of fashion is certainly evident with the array of textures and patterns- something which is particularly captivating about the art.

8. Jemmy says:

Nice artwork, unique n personality.. like it..
    Jemmy Fashion- Beautiful clothes online

9. joe says:

your posts are waaaaaay too lengthy and have waaaay too much content in them, I don’t read them or even look at them half the time because of this.

Thanks for the feedback. I know i’m breaking internet rule 101 but I’m dedicated to detailed content regardless of who/how many people reads it? Why? So I’m not ashamed when I look at my blog and think “That’s a paltry effort.”

11. Frida Wannerberger says:

Thank you Susie for the lovet post, I’m happy you found the work interesting.
    Take care!
    Best
    Frida

12. I want to see these book!!!