>> Morning Possums!  Oh wait, it’s morning here in Hong Kong, late into the night back in London and sort of late morning time in Aussie land, where possums – both the animal and affectionately called human beings – might be found.  There is a reason why I’m confuzzling you all on Instagram (ooops… how ru-ude of me to assume actually that you lot follow me on Instagram) with my jaunty travels from Sydney to Tokyo and now to Hong Kong.  The reason being is that I’m gathering pics and words galore for my upcoming book.  Yes, I’m writing a book.  Has it been formally announced?  I don’t think so… does it require a formal announcement?  Probably not.  And for good reason too seeing as I haven’t quite formulated the right words (or media blurb) to describe this thing that I’m penning.

In the meantime, I’ll be backtracking a little on the blog.  Real time, from-the-locale real blogging will be on hold for a while.  Back in Sydney just as MBFWA was coming to a close, I paid a visit to Little Hero’s PR showroom and was greeted with a table of colourful magpie-attracting lushness.  Lushness that hails from different corners of Australia by way of Melbourne, as compiled by Pieces of Eight – a jewellery collective that represents, showcases and gives workspace to mainly Australian jewellery designers and artists.  I visited their workshop site in the Fitzroy area of Melbourne a couple of years ago where Lucy Folk is based.  They have a more centrally based gallery, where their large scale installations and exhibitions can really flourish.   If Melbourne is a touch too far and remote for what I’d imagine would be the majority of you guys, then Edition X, Pieces of Eight’s online e-commerce and showroom arm will be worth a  click.

It’s where you can purchase similar if not the exact pieces that I ogled at in the showroom.  Like Melbourne-based Hamish Munro and his obsession with rubber balloons – scrunched up and compressed into bangles and rope necklaces or wrapped up in interlinking rainbow chains.  Or Renee Damiani from Adelaide and her use of plastic friendship bracelet lace and squeegy balls clustered into cartoonish formations.   You might be familiar with artist Kate Rohde‘s psychedelic coloured resin world, as she has previously collaborated with Romance was Born on their Dinosaur Renaissance collection (incidentally the first ever RWB show I saw).  That prompted Rohde to create more accessible jewellery pieces.  Self-described as “the natural history museum on acid”, Rohde’s work definitely adds impressive scale to Pieces of Eight’s roster.  Last but not least are Sophie Stone‘s beaded beings, which go bump in the night.  All of which of course made me wish I had added in a few days in Melbourne to revisit the left field side of Australian fashion that I tend to gravitate towards.  Just couldn’t really wreck the schedule for that thing I can’t quite articulate yet.

0E5A2095

0E5A2074

0E5A2084

Sophie Stone:

0E5A2071

0E5A2068

1. Carelia says:

Omg!! Those are such wonderful and colorful pieces. I love the ghost pin.
    Xo
    Carelia

CORAL AND MIDNIGHT FLORAL…blog post at:
    Mysmallwardrobe.com

2. kiri says:

I love the squid necklace best.

I wish you luck gathering information for your book – when will it be out? I suppose it is too early to tell.
    I’d say lucky you in regards to all the travels but your probably are quite tired now?!
    X
    Kiri

3. Chelsea says:

Such gorgeous and playful pieces! The Australian ‘left field’ is a real treasure trove that way.

4. sgh says:

Great news about the book. Definitely looking forward to reading it

5. David says:

Can’t wait to read more about the book you’re currently penning :)

6. sasa says:

Amazing! Love the colors! Have a great time in HK:)

New on http://www.shallwesasa.com

7. The Provoker says:

Incredibly crafty and I spy with my little ‘eye’ a squid ‘eye’ jelly necklace too! (I have a thing to any marine biological references). And great to hear you’re writing a new book! I can’t wait to see your magpie adventures progress into a book. How’s Hong Kong? Would be visiting there myself in mid-June. Enjoy and don’t get too spoiled by the good food there! #SusieBubbleTea?

8. Love this posts! Those pieces are so funky!

xox
    Angelina

9. KhoaSinclair says:

WOW lovely pieces. Especially need that squid necklace!

10. Alice says:

These are such amazing pieces! I just fall for the colors!

11. Dru says:

Congratulations on the upcoming book, Susie! I’m curious to know what it’s about, and looking forward to it whenever it’s published.

Those Kate Rohde pieces are gorgeous.

12. […] Style Bubble blogger Susanna Lau is writing a book. About what? That remains to be seen, but apparently it’s requiring a heck of a lot of international travel. The big-time British blogger revealed the matter in a post on her blog: […]

13. […] media blurb) to describe this thing that I’m penning. -Casually dropped the following news in a post […]

14. Congrats on the book deal Susie! Looking forward to seeing what you’re putting together…you put so much heart into these sorts of things, I’m sure it will be amazing.

15. Elle says:

I love the colour combination. And congratulation for the upcoming book!

Elle
    luxuryready2wear.eu

16. […] o mais natural. Nessa terça-feira (22/04), Susie Bubble, do “Style Bubble”, anunciou em seu blog que está preparando seu primeiro livro. Susie, cujo nome real é Susanna Lau, segue os passos de […]